• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX120-3 Mode Changeover from Cat to John Deere

Maine HD6B Dude

I recently purchased a Hitachi EX120-3 Excavator and tried to change controls over from Cat to John Deere. The Selector
Valve for this function would not allow all functions to change. I have bucket curl on left joystick and slew on the right joystick.
Looks like I have to physically change two lines to get this corrected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Bob/Ont

I recently purchased a Hitachi EX120-3 Excavator and tried to change controls over from Cat to John Deere. The Selector
Valve for this function would not allow all functions to change. I have bucket curl on left joystick and slew on the right joystick.
Looks like I have to physically change two lines to get this corrected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Any JD controls I have seen have the Bucket and Stick on the RH control and the Boom and Swing on the LH control. I would think someone has messed up the pilot lines for you. What functions were on the R&L controls before you moved the selector. I don't know if your machine has two pump flow for stick and boom up or not but on machines that do any pilot line changes must be done to preserve this control.
Later Bob

KenAl

What you most likely have is a Grey Market Hitachi with the Change over Valve meant for Japanese configurations. Someone on this side of the pond managed to change the lines over to Cat. Now that you change the lever on the valve, it's all messed up. I would get it back to the cat controls then switch the lines under the cab at the valve blocks under the cab. (this is how we did the Cat/JD change without the valve). Sorry don't have my notes handy on which lines to swap. I do remember it was in a cross pattern. Top left to bottom right. then top right to bottom left. Always mark your lines so you can at least get it back to square one.

Maine HD6B Dude

Hello Men, Thanks for the info. I will switch back to the control pattern when I bought it. The selector valve has four positions, but none gave me the Slew left/boom left and stick and bucket right. KenAl, I will check to see the valve blocks that you mentioned are under the cab. I am not so sure what the correct pattern is for Cat, but I will check tomorrow morning and get back to you guys. Thanks, Mike

Maine HD6B Dude

Hello Again,
I checked the original setting and found it to be Slew-stick on Left and Boom-bucket on right. I am going to look for the manifold connections for pilot lines under the cab.
Mike

greggn

Occupation
sandstone quarrier
Slew or swing and stick on left and boom /bucket on right is Cat.

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
change pilot from jis -sae mark lines change at hyd valve bank there are four type position for control levers position used,backhoe ,jcb,jis,sae. joystick do not control the pump that done by a switch on main valve bank

Last edited:

Maine HD6B Dude

Thanks Everyone,
I got it changed over yesterday. Changed the pilot lines at the manifold underneath the cab. The lines are labeled A,B,C,D,E,F,G,and H.
Mike

boulder brook

Thanks Everyone,
I got it changed over yesterday. Changed the pilot lines at the manifold underneath the cab. The lines are labeled A,B,C,D,E,F,G,and H.
Mike

You wouldn't remember what ones where switched around, I have the same machine and need to change the controls.