• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitach zx160 lc3

Knuckleduster

How about some pictures of your boat when you're not busy cursing at the cursed excavator?

Joe H
Been up to the cursed excavator today to take some pics for Diesel Dave to identify which beast we have. Have took couple of pics of my boat as I passed the mooring. Also have pics of Dredger Diana and the back end of workboat Perseverience 2. Tried to get pics of workboat Louise which was loading and unloading 1ton bags and was told to S--d Off--normal canal boat terminoligy to go away. Will post them after I run them through programm to reduce file size as my phone camera creats huge files and usually get slung back unless I reduce size. Told the guys operating Louise to get rid of as much weight in stern hopper so that I can get the current outboard off and take measurements to fit the Mercury 75hp on to the transom if I ever get this cursed excavator fixed.

Knuckleduster

I ran ahead on the path to take drive-bys of my crew.
Looked at your video and boat is a hybrid. Has a tug front end and a cruiser stearn--usually made for dayboat hire--seen a few of them. We have a hire firm only a couple of miles from us at Cosgrove and as Lock 21 is the first one they meet after taking charge of boat, we see all manner of dings,bouncilg off the gates etc at our lock. Lots of shouting and swearing in the air come hire season--gives us plenty of amusement--been there done that a long while ago. Occasionally we have to interfere when inexperienced crews either get the stern on the sill and as the boat drops with the water level changing, the bow drops dangerously close to sinking the boat with the stern up in the air..Or the other one is that they dont appreciate the the correct operation of the paddles in the lock gates., which ones to open and which ones to close to go up or down a level via the lock. They sit there amused and mistyfied when the boat in the lock doesn`t go up or down because the water level hasn`t changed. Polite and clear instruction from one of us idiots usually help them out of their troubles and after they are out of earshot a good laugh helps pass the day. They will learn--I had to.

Knuckleduster

If you were able to take off the covers behind the seat again, get the part number on the controller, that number would work just as well.
Hi, been up to the machine today and done as you said. Couldn`t find a tag on main pump--found numbers in the castings at the bottom edge of pump. Anyway dived into cab pulled the covers off, Removed a steel bracket to reveal the ECU. On the side of ECU was a tag that said EX150-5 and number after it as 0400. Have a pict of it.
So our machine is not a ZX160 at all but I take it and older EX150-5 which was sold to us So the machine is a 15 and not a 16 ton machine.
Found a spec sheet with phots on net and it showed the hydraulic side of machine and identical to ours and also cab and instrument panel.
I will post photos later on as I`m preping for a Trustee meeting tonight (same as a board of directors). My wife and I are Trustees of the organisation and have a meeting once a month to cheww the fat over with the other loonatics (Trustees)
Is the EX150-5 the same as the EX150. Found manuals for EX150 but nothing on the -5 version and its not clear if the manual covers our model.

skyking1

Looked at your video and boat is a hybrid. Has a tug front end and a cruiser stearn--usually made for dayboat hire--seen a few of them. We have a hire firm only a couple of miles from us at Cosgrove and as Lock 21 is the first one they meet after taking charge of boat, we see all manner of dings,bouncilg off the gates etc at our lock. Lots of shouting and swearing in the air come hire season--gives us plenty of amusement--been there done that a long while ago. Occasionally we have to interfere when inexperienced crews either get the stern on the sill and as the boat drops with the water level changing, the bow drops dangerously close to sinking the boat with the stern up in the air..Or the other one is that they dont appreciate the the correct operation of the paddles in the lock gates., which ones to open and which ones to close to go up or down a level via the lock. They sit there amused and mistyfied when the boat in the lock doesn`t go up or down because the water level hasn`t changed. Polite and clear instruction from one of us idiots usually help them out of their troubles and after they are out of earshot a good laugh helps pass the day. They will learn--I had to.
Our rental agreement specifically prohibited us from locking through :)

Diesel Dave

Hi, been up to the machine today and done as you said. Couldn`t find a tag on main pump--found numbers in the castings at the bottom edge of pump. Anyway dived into cab pulled the covers off, Removed a steel bracket to reveal the ECU. On the side of ECU was a tag that said EX150-5 and number after it as 0400. Have a pict of it.
So our machine is not a ZX160 at all but I take it and older EX150-5 which was sold to us So the machine is a 15 and not a 16 ton machine.
Found a spec sheet with phots on net and it showed the hydraulic side of machine and identical to ours and also cab and instrument panel.
Is the EX150-5 the same as the EX150. Found manuals for EX150 but nothing on the -5 version and its not clear if the manual covers our model.
The EX150 was first produced in 1987, a simple animal with very limited to no electronics.
You will need to find manuals for an EX150-5.
I believe in some markets ,Hitachi tagged it a EX160-5 .

Last edited:

Knuckleduster

The EX150 was first produced in 1987, a simple animal with very limited to no electronics.
You will need to find manuals for an EX150-5.
I believe in some markets ,Hitachi tagged it a EX160-5 .
Hi, Ive been nosing around and found a manual for the EX150-5 on ebay. Sent a download link and now owner of the correct manual--sitting on the laptop I am currently using. The cost was really cheap--£9.0 GBPounds which is really cheap for a manual these days. Found a couple of relays strapped onto the stepper motor in a not too waterproof box. One of the relays is corroded so badly that its just a rusty mess. These have been inserted into the lines that go to what looks like a pair of control valve/solenoids that sit in the far left of the compartment to the left of the main pump.Obviously either a lashup or bodge from days gone by There appears to be 2 bontrol cables coming from the engine loom that both have 2 black wires--going to as far as I can tell the coils of these relays. What they do I have no idea except one relay is toat or should I say rust. Have been reading up on leak test of turbo. From what I see there is no intercooler on this engine so it simplifies things inc pipework.--will be fitting new relays Tuesday and looking at turbo. One thing I found stressed in manual was that after changing the control cable which was badly fraid we should have performed an engine learning operation--didn`t know--didn`t do. Tomorrow will have a relaxing day putting on water pump on our small jcb digger--heaven.

Knuckleduster

Our rental agreement specifically prohibited us from locking through :)
Took our boat out last Sunday for a meander up the canal. Mainly as a shakedown after putting a new drive plate before winter. Easy job--after packing the stuffing box with as much grease that you can pump in there, before disconnecting the propshaft and sliding it backwards to give enough room to yank the gearbox out. Bell housing nuts must have been tightened by a Gorilla. Old drive plate springs were little more that bits and rattling at low revs like a tin of nails. A couple of hours and all done--nice result,quiet running and better direction change and smoother take up of drive. Chugged up the canal about 2 miles--turned her around without hitting anything--even had an audience. Usually when I have an audience, I bounce the bow or the stern off the towpath--never when there is no one about. Narrowboats are made from strong stuff so a little tap now and again at slow speed is normal. Mine tips the scale about 20 tons , one of my workboats is around 44 ton unladen--have had 20 tons of MOT TYPE 1 ballast on it doing towpath repairwork in the past. Like boats--hate Hitachi excavators!

Knuckleduster

Diesel Dave, have exhausted my attempts at getting this cursed excavator to run correctly. Went to it last week and did a turbo leak test--no leaks found, turbo spinning up nicely, a little axial end float present, no sideways float so turbo presumed to be servicable. Went back to the little JCB excavator and ran that up after water pump changed to check its o.k. and moved that into position to do some piling.Problem is it hasn`t got the reach of the Hitachi. Bought Dr Dx and lead but on installing it laptop went nuts and shouted at me--got virus in it.--thiis is what you get from buying lead and software from ?china. I can cope with the "virus"as what is in there appears to be an old lame one.Pity, I gave away an old laptop that a mate wanted to reprogramme some walki talki s for a scout group to use. Needless to say he has moved away. Do you know of anyone who has a decent copy of dr dx I can beg. Confirmed ID is EX150-5.Been out today pushing our 44 ton craneboat 6 miles up the canal with a 16ft tugboat--in the wind--dam thing was trying to go sideways at times. Back there tomorrow to help change 2 water extraction pumps that take water out of the river to top up the canal--they weigh about 500kg each and the Trust that runs the canals employ contractors to fit these pumps and we have the only craneboat that can lift these things into place from thr canal.Back to the Hitachi on Tuesday

skyking1

my recollection on the throttle training was to push the button and then operate the dial to the high stop and back, I think at least twice. The button is on the computer behind the seat and it has a guard over it.

Diesel Dave

Engine Speed Learning procedure from the Deere 160LC Operators manual, see screenshot below.
If engine learning is successful the throttle lever on the injection pump will hit the low idle and the high idle stops.
1711333560584.jpeg

Diesel Dave

Engine Speed Learning procedure from the Deere 160LC Operators manual, see screenshot below.
If engine learning is successful the throttle lever on the injection pump will hit the low idle and the high idle stops.
View attachment 308678
Just to clarify , there is no low idle stop . The throttle lever on the injection pump will hit the high idle stop only when HP mode is on and active.

Last edited:

Knuckleduster

Given the cursed digger a rest today, turned my attention to the onboard excavator on the 54ft dredger that we are passing onto another restoration group.My mate got the propulsion diesel running after changing the fuel pipes, but was unable to get the hydraulic power pack running that runs the excavator--nice little 4 pot cummins.To cut a long story short lost the feed from the key switch to the starter solenoid. Didn`t bother trying to find the break--just ran a new cable from cab to engine bay and she fired up instantly. Excersised the hydraulics--everything ran well. The guys are coming next month to go over boat in detail before we shove the thing down some 100 miles with our Tugboat and it`s bye bye Perseverance 2.--one less to worry about.Only trouble is we have got to unload all the crap stored on it and find somewhere to put it.

Knuckleduster

Hi all, haven`t been around for a while--long covid hit again with avengence, so have been recovering and getting strength back.
There has been developments on this digger. Found and obtained a clean copy of dr dx which had to be remotely installed by company bought from. Didn`t like the thought of that so put the software on clean fresh copy of Win 10 on a clean laptop using Macdonalds free wifi. Didn`t want anyone having access to my network at home installing software remotely. Anyway hooked into our digger and after several test runs software said everything o.k. no fault codes. Went back to basics and went through fuel system again. Found yet more crap in tank drain even after washing tank out completely. Pulled fuel system down from tank to pump and my college found a leaf jammed in one of the bavjos where ther should have been a filter. Tank is now out of the machine and about to get blasted with a pressure washer to completely clean it out and reinspected with a boroscope. One thing I found before we tore it down was that I could get the machine to run correctly so long as I ran it at half speed. Any increase of the speed control and it went back to being a pain and stalling engine. I ran machine for 3 hours at half speed and managed to get it to work,track,dig a hole in the farmers field and fill it in. By the way DONT use software from chinese companies as they are full of viruses with keyloggers embedded in them that steal passwords etc--thats why got a copy on a clean laptop and used local Macdonalds wifi to install it.
Best wishes to all,
will post hopefully with result in about a weeks time--back up to digger next Tuesday to fit tank and reset machine up.
Gerry