• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of Champion Motor Graders

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Hey guys, I have been given some priceless pictures and brochures of the early years at Champion Road Machinery....actually it would have been DRMCO...Dominion Road Machinery. Some things have dates and some dont but regardless, you grader lovers will enjoy looking at some of this. I hope you enjoy and it creates lots of discussion. Its a lot of stuff so I'm going to try and put something new on here every week till I get it all.

These pics are around the 1950's and 60's and are at the factory in Goderich, Ontario.

Attachments

• Aerial Shot.jpg
    Aerial Shot.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 6,691
  • Final Assembly Area.jpg
    Final Assembly Area.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 6,861
  • Graders Outside Final Assembly.jpg
    Graders Outside Final Assembly.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 6,600
  • Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 6,428
  • scan0027.jpg
    scan0027.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 7,910

Motor Grader

Occupation
More.

Attachments

• scan0029.jpg
    scan0029.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 6,510
  • Storage & Parking Lot.jpg
    Storage & Parking Lot.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 6,873
  • Welders Photo 3.jpg
    Welders Photo 3.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 6,306

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Bryan
I remember seeing a picture very similar to that first airial view in one of the Alaska DOT Maintenance supervisor's office back in the 80s. Champion had just won another contact with the Alaska DOT for like 60 new graders. The pictured showed all the new machines lined up around the building getting ready to ship out, it was pretty impressive.

Great pictures, very interesting!

Regards, Randy

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
pics

Great pictures!!!

In the first photo the graders haven't been badged yet. I would have thought back then it would have been painted on rather than a vinyl sticker like today.

I like to look in the background, especially the pictures where workers are shown, OSHA would have a fit today!!! See all the safety hazards laying around on the floor!!!

Off subject a little but the parking lot photo of the cars is very interesting!!!! One poor guy is driving a pretty old, pre-WWII car, I'm betting he's feeding a houseful of kids!!! Another guy is driving a VW Beetle, what a variety that is!!! :)

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I was thinking about how great those old pictures were when it dawned on me that I ran one of those D models when it wasn't very old. Lord how the years go by! Thanks for posting them, they bring back some pretty good memories.

Last edited:

schuiver

Nice picturs, 16 years ago I was visiting the factory and it was very intresting, especially to see how the graders wer made.

Motor Grader

Occupation
The parking lot pic was just too cool having the cars of that time in it. Plus the rail cars were all loaded with graders. The fenced part is now all building. Funny thing is that the parking in front of the building never improved too much up to the day they closed the doors there.

Motor Grader

Occupation
Maybe I should have posted this one first. Champion's roots go back to the late 1800's.

Attachments

• GRANDPA.jpg
    GRANDPA.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 8,904
Last edited:

Motor Grader

Occupation
This one was 1928 and was the first fully Hydraulically Controlled grader.

Attachments

• 1928-01.jpg
    1928-01.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6,322

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
very nice pictures, look forward to see more.
but i have a question for you,
i found a grader for sale on Machery trader that is a "cleveland D562" it looks like an older Champion. whats the deal with that?

Attachments

• 78487641.jpg
    78487641.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6,925

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Really neat to see things like this.

The parking lot photo above has to be in the 1960's. There is a 1960 Ford there, looks like a mid 1960 Olds too. VW Beetle there too from 50's or 60's.

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
To plowking740-

It was way before my time as an operator, but if I remember correctly from my pile of old literature, once upon a time Champion graders were labeled Cleveland, or Cleveland- DRMCO. I think the DRMCO was short for Dominion Road Machinery. Could be wrong. Austin-Western from the same era was marketed as BLH Austin-Western. BLH for Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton. I think there was a lot of this going on in the 1960's

smoothoperator...family owned since 1959

Iron Man

Bet one's seen it's share of snow since it was born in 1973:

Attachments

• 36822_2T90RVIOH.jpg
    36822_2T90RVIOH.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 3,747
Last edited by a moderator:

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
D'oh!
Upon closer inspection of the edge of the top photo in post #2, I see the words "Dominion Road Machinery Co. Limited". Photo may have been used during a period of transition.

The photo below it might be snow wings/posts, it's hard to tell for sure.
Back in the early '80's, I sent away for some Champion literature, and received some very nice 5x7 or 8x10 pictures of an all wheel drive 720 or 740A machine. Looked wicked with it's big dark one piece door glass. The kind of pictures that would make a 440 Wabco operator start to drool.

Reactions: DB2

Motor Grader

Occupation
More old Champion Grader pics

Attachments

• 600 2.jpg
    600 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,464
  • 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 1946-005.jpg
    1946-005.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 3,221
  • 1948-03.jpg
    1948-03.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,298
  • Close Up In The Dirt.jpg
    Close Up In The Dirt.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3,381

Dominion 410

Champion

Great pictures,thanks for sharing.Years back the Department of Highways here used graders for plowing the local highway by-pass,as well as plow trucks.One of the grader operators was a real cowboy,and he would really get rolling along with a 4-71Detroit powered D-562.He would stop at the lights and have the hand throttle wide open and just leave it like that.That old 4-71 would just about stall out when he'd let the clutch out,but did it sound good.Remember waking up for school in the morning and would hear that thing just howling down the road.Excellent:drinkup

Dominion