• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Historic NZ Earthmoving Projects

Kiwi43

Benmore Diversion

Dozer closest to camera pushing out fill is a D9E; can see the dual air cleaners, other one with drawbar and A blade looks like a 9 too. And see one of the original posters saying he thinks its that 50A model.

D6 Merv The D8's are 46A's 672, 674, 675 & 682 very new at the time August 1960. the D9 with angle blade and rippers is 49A269, the one in trouble is the 50A of W G Evans Ltd the only 50A to come to Australasia still very original and in a collection in North Canterbury. The 49A is currently under restoration by a collector in Dunedin The MOW had 3 x 49A's 2 in the North Island. MOW also had 2 34A's at Benmore these arrived later

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
cheers kiwi43; that's all very interesting; take it the D8Hs were all MOW, would have been amongst the first ones sold here.
What little info I knew about the D9s came from "goughs list" of ones they sold for the D9Ds and Es. Only part of list I had; would love to see a complete list, would be interesting reading !! 20yrs ago 49A268 was still around in my area, Fenton bros owned it. Don,t know what happened to it after they sold out.
D9E 34As list I have showed 7 sold here. MOW is only listed with one 450. what was the other one.? Porters at one point had 320 and was wrecked. roadmakers one 508 was up my way late 80s but died and was wrecked. Be interesting to know if any other D9Es still exist. Most of the D9Ds are still around; mainly belong to a gent up kumeu way, most are dead but some still run, and another tidy runner in wanganui. D9 3.jpg

Kiwi43

Benmore Diversion

cheers kiwi43; that's all very interesting; take it the D8Hs were all MOW, would have been amongst the first ones sold here.
What little info I knew about the D9s came from "goughs list" of ones they sold for the D9Ds and Es. Only part of list I had; would love to see a complete list, would be interesting reading !! 20yrs ago 49A268 was still around in my area, Fenton bros owned it. Don,t know what happened to it after they sold out.
D9E 34As list I have showed 7 sold here. MOW is only listed with one 450. what was the other one.? Porters at one point had 320 and was wrecked. roadmakers one 508 was up my way late 80s but died and was wrecked. Be interesting to know if any other D9Es still exist. Most of the D9Ds are still around; mainly belong to a gent up kumeu way, most are dead but some still run, and another tidy runner in wanganui. View attachment 105124

The other MOW D9E was 34A454 9S blade and No 9 ripper this one went to the North Island Western Logging I think when sold 34A450 9s blade no rippers was wrecked down south

Kiwi53

Merv.

Owen and John I recall but Bernie was my beer drinking buddy. He was a CAT parts computer on two legs. Amazing guy when you think about it. If you needed parts for a machine you did not need a parts book or a list of parts. All you had to do was tell Bernie what you were working on and he had it in his head. He lived in Twizel with his Dad and was famous for his home brew. I think NASA got the recipe off him for the Saturn 5 rocket. Man it was potent. Great people and a great time.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
hi Alan.
afaik Bernies still in Hamilton nz havnt seen him for awhile, is long retired. He was a unreal parts man for sure :notworthy and could drink beer; and a bloody nice guy. :drinkup

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
Hi Alan Kiwi 53,
I remember you from Twizel. I worked in the PRD around 1972-3 then later went to Camp 4 with the 773s & 992s and then to Camp 6 with the IH 295s for a while before moving to Oz. At least one of the early D8H's had a diesel converter too as I remember doing a reseal on it replacing the carbon face seals.
I also remember your Dad Jim who was earthworks supervisor on the Tekapo canal section. I also worked with Gordon Reynolds in PNG for a few years. When I get some slides scanned I will add them to this thread.
John Newman

Kiwi53

Stone the crows John, small world. I certainly remember you though would no doubt walk past you on the street these days and not recognise you, same the other way round I'm sure. Gravity has changed a few features since 72. Gordon is in Indo now, Dad passed away in 2001 and I have been hiding over here in Chile since 95. Im not sure if you have seen the Twizel machines site on FB but it has some seriously great photos and many that will bring back memories for sure. I look forward to seeing your slides when you get them scanned. I just picked up a slide converter off Amazon yesterday as Mum has hundreds of slides boxed up and they are useless in that format these days. Hope all is well for you mate and looking forward to some pictures.

Kiwi53

Crikey mate, give me a few clues. Been a few ales under the bridge since Twizel Nige.

Kiwi53

Better known as one half of "DOM & POM" ...... does that give you any clues..?

Geez mate theres been a few Nige's pass through my door over the years and a few were blighties so the answer is: still looking for easier clues.

Reubs

waioeka gorge construction near opotiki circa early 1960shttp://photonews.org.nz/gisborne/issue/GPN98_19620809/t1-body-d9.html This Is the link to another website for more pics where you can actually see the newspaper writing etc. Sorry about the double post don't know how that happened:beatsme

Attachments

• waioeka gorge construction.jpg
    waioeka gorge construction.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,111
Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Geez mate theres been a few Nige's pass through my door over the years and a few were blighties so the answer is: still looking for easier clues.
You're thinking back to Kiwi-land. Think a bit closer to where "home" is right now and maybe you'll remember the 2 guys who shared an apartment with 2 La-Z-Boy recliners in the lounge. You ought to remember it, you drank enough beer on that balcony .....!!

Cat 637B

D6 Merv.. I think Stevies still have a DW21 running as a water cart at one of their mine sites ?? its on the Stevenson net site. I was at Kopuku on a pusher 9 in the pit then went to Twizel with Waikato Earthmovers on a 637

Showpony

Twizel vets should recognise this old lady, chromes getting a bit tarnished, but she still has presence

Attachments

• 17.09.13 017 (1).jpg
    17.09.13 017 (1).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,788
  • 17.09.13 017 (2).jpg
    17.09.13 017 (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,815
  • 17.09.13 018.jpg
    17.09.13 018.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,800
  • 17.09.13 019.jpg
    17.09.13 019.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,797

S.Coleman

Hello there!
This project has always interested me for ages. My grandfather used to work for the MoW on that project carting Penstock sections with his old Kenworth. To my knowledge this truck is still in use today? He still lives in Twizel and has a ton of old photos and memorabilia of the project.

I operate scrapers today in the Northwest of WA, Caterpillar 633 elevators and 631, 627, 637 open bowls. Have always loved scrapers.

dozeron

Hi All,
Really enjoying this thread, being an ex Kiwi. Did my time with the MOW at Huntly and around the Waikato. Have a few photos that maybe of interest when I can post images. A few of Twizel, Rotowaro, Huntly, Kopuku and Kaimai Tunnel as well of some rather grainy images my brother took when he was with Taylor and Culley. Will do a report on the demise of the Sherpa, the single engine scraper built by Hewco. When I read the comment about the gear buried at Twizel, I'm sure that same thing happened with the 3 120B shovels Downers used at Weavers Crossing. Wasn't worth the cost of Oxy-Acetylene to cut them up. Will get back to the board in a day or so. Going into hospital for a camera up the rear end, fun, fun, fun.
All the Best, dozeron.