• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hiring work out advice?

Welder Dave

I could use some advice on how to deal with a contractor. Another guy and myself are getting some work done to add a flat track motorcycle track on my land that already has an MX track. We had a guy come out last year who's a super nice guy and gave us a discount of about $10/hr but we paid him about $8K all together. It took him a while to get the work done because he also is a big farmer and has lots of stuff on the go. We ran out of time last fall so got him back again. It's too much work for my small machines and I don't have the time. I can do some of the smaller jobs and final cleaning up.

Here's the problem. Even though the guy is giving us a deal, he seems to have a lot of other stuff come up so the job that we're paying for is taking way longer than expected. It took 1 1/2- 2 month's to get about 2 weeks of work last year and then the weather went South. Now this year it's finally dried up enough he can do some work. He was planning to start on Sat. afternoon but couldn't make it. He apologized and said he'd be there 9 am Sunday. He finally showed up at 2:30 and said he had unexpected company show up. Weekends I can meet him at the track and explain what we want and prioritize the work. I left a message today if he'd been out but never heard back. I'm guessing not but don't know for sure. Anyway, we need to get this track ready to ride this year so we can plan events for next year. There is a group of riders anxiously waiting and they're getting impatient. When I was a contractor and hired for a job it would be my priority to get it done ASAP. I realize things can come up but if I was doing landscaping and took a month and a half to do 2 weeks of work, I'd never get any more work. I really like the guy, he's a good operator but our job seems low on his priority list. He's getting about $115/hr. for an 850K series 2 Case. How do we explain to him, in a nice way, that we need the work done when the weather's good and we can't keep having to wait because he had to fix his tractor or pull his neighbor out, etc., etc. I don't want to upset him but I also don't want to go through the same thing as last year. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

check

Politely tell him you got someone else to do the work because you wanted it done in your lifetime.:)

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I second what check said. Not to be an ass, because I've done similar things myself and learned my lesson, but your getting what your paying for if you want professional work done hire a professional.

Welder Dave

We'd gladly pay him his normal rate but don't think it would make any difference. He's taking about $10/hr. off his regular rate. The guy does work on wild fires where he has to be available NOW. His dad is getting older so he has to help out on the farm more but I'm not sure the best way to tell him we need the work done when the weather is good.

jaclo

He's taking about $10/hr. off his regular rate.

this isn't ****. If that got me a job over a competitor i'd tell every potential customer I've ever had that and fudge the hours. Like the other guy said, you're getting what you're paying for. Lots of fucking oversubsidized dickhead farmers cashing in on work they have no business doing. Tell this guy to go powerwash his planter or something.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Geez! angry much?
I don't care who does the work as long as they do it in a professional way.

td25c

Geez! angry much?
I don't care who does the work as long as they do it in a professional way.

I'm the same way , as long as the job gets done & customer is happy .

I've had times where we had to decline a job due to busy & can't get to it in time .
Generally just refer the customer to another contractor that I endorse & trust .

And other contractors do the same to me . Trade off & shuffle jobs to keep everyone happy . :)

Welder Dave

Jaclo, he's a good operator and knows what we want done. He has been working on it pretty steady the last week so we are finally making some good progress. I wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't a good operator. I just wanted to know how to let him know we need the work done in a reasonable amount of time and can't have all the delays. More work is needed than originally thought so he lowered his rate even more and no he's not fudging the hours. He is trying to help us out knowing we have a limited budget.

bdog1234

You say you have smaller equipment. If you know how to run it have you thought of renting a dozer and doing it yourself? I know a guy who owns two dozers but usually has four running and rents the other two. He makes money. If you know how to operate it this will be your cheapest option and you can do it on your schedule. They typically rent machines by the week but you only get 40 hours. Depending on your schedule this might work well just spend three long days a week to use up your 40 or whatever. Then again if you are not a skilled operator it will be way more expensive as a good operator can easily get twice as much or more done in the same amount of time.