• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hey mechs, What's in your box?

Black Wolf

Occupation
Former Truck Driver, Now Journeyman Auto Mechanic
Snap-On Tool Boxes with Collector's Edition Graphic Plates that I bought when I was an Auto Mechanic back in '92.

Tools are an assortment of Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, Cornwell, SK, Gray, Channel Lock, Makita, DeWalt, Channel Lock, Blue Point (Snap-On) Husky and Mastercraft (Canadian Tire - almost identical to Craftsman)

Precision measuring tools Inside/Outside Micrometers, Vernier Calipers, Depth Micrometers etc either NSK, Mitutoyo, or Starrett.

Various other specialty tools by Competition Cams, Fluke, etc etc....

Butane Soldering Torches by Bernz-O-Matic.

Don't really care WHAT is in my hands.... Personal Opinion is that the man makes the tools look good, NOT the other way around.

Carried Gray wrenches, and Craftsman or Mastercraft boxed socket sets in the truck when I was on the road for 10 years. Nothing flashy or expensive, but when you stop on the side of the road to help out a fellow trucker at 3 am and at -40°F, it has been my experience that they don't check for brand names.

Have a Good Night.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
My name is Tim and I am a Snap on Junkie. I keep it with in reason, he is always paid off and I run Chinese for the big stuff, but I really believe that the nut won't round off or the screw head won't strip when I am using my Snappy. I know ..I have a problem.. but they just feel so good in my hand:D

Attachments

• DSCN0620.jpg
    DSCN0620.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN0621.jpg
    DSCN0621.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 471

adam21584

snap on is nice, for small stuff. Too expensive for some of the bigger stuff. nitro cat air tools seem to hold up good. Cannot beat the price for the power. Williams is a good alternative to cheap chinese sockets and wrenches. A good tool box is always good too. When you open the drawers all day and make a living out of it quality counts.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
an IMT box sounds cool, I used to work on their cranes. I've commited to working out of a tool cart and leaving my box against the wall, so I have an old used box and a nice roller drawer cart.

flashpuppy

an IMT box sounds cool, I used to work on their cranes. I've commited to working out of a tool cart and leaving my box against the wall, so I have an old used box and a nice roller drawer cart.

Maybe I wasn't clear. It's all mounted on my F550. I have to stay mobile.

catd10t

Occupation
plant mechanic
snapon,cat,britool,stahlwillie,elora,hazzet
like the cat gear as its cheaper than mr snapon
buy all the big gear stahlwillie etc good prices and excellent quality

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
snapon,cat,britool,stahlwillie,elora,hazzet
like the cat gear as its cheaper than mr snapon
buy all the big gear stahlwillie etc good prices and excellent quality

No Silchrome...or mogy...

Gave up buying expensive stuff as too many magnetic fingers about,so now affordable German made.

catd10t

Occupation
plant mechanic
No Silchrome...or mogy...

Gave up buying expensive stuff as too many magnetic fingers about,so now affordable German made.

1 sidchrome socket.
i hear what your saying, hate people who steal tools they have no backbone:mad:

heavylift

a mix of every brand there is probably.... from the Snap to the crap...

thomasnchy

Interesting...
New mechanic here (12 years and still learning). Myself, I have a box load of Snap-On wrenches (hate busting knuckles) impact sockets from Craftsman- (clearance) impact wrench from Chicago Pneumatic- the thing wont die, 18v Snap-On impact (wouldn't trade it for anything) Screw drivers from Matco, nut drivers from ...???, crowsfoot- Snap-On, wire crimpers- Snap-On, wire strippers- Craftsman, 220 Hobart Ironman welder..... I'm thinking I liked my old Miller better, Specialty tools- Snap-On (because the guy comes around once every week)

I bought my first "real" tool box about 10 years ago... it's been all uphill since then.

Bad things... Harbor Freight, Northern tool, and CarQuest tools.

There will be one guy that says I'm wrong... one out of?

flashpuppy

Does anyone have a MAC Macsimizer series box? I am looking at them right now, but have never even seen one. How do they stack up to the Tech series boxes? What are your guy's thoughts on them?

inthedirt

In most cases Snap-On is king, but......$! I started with Craftsman and have been slowly replacing them. I really like my Proto wrenches. For jumbo wrenches(1-3/8" to 2") I have a Harbor Freight set and so does just about every other heavy equip guy around here (and they just don't break!). The tool trucks stuff is great and what I shoot for, but I just can't afford it most of the time. Except for when you find tool truck stuff on Ebay for a steal........! I work at a Case dealer and Case has come out with a tool line that has a price you just can't beat! and Case tools are made by J.H. Williams (owned by Snap-On) and warrantied through the dealer and then back through Snap-On. With the employee discount I just can't say no!

PROCUT1

I run a service truck and brand wise I have a mix of everything.

A lot of craftsman. The sockets are good but I hate the ratchets. I dont even know what brand my ratchets are, but theyre not a big name but are really comfortable.....Ive used them like a monkey with a pipe when I should have grabbed a breaker bar and the suckers hold up.

After my snap on and mac air tools were stolen, I needed quick replacements cheap....I bought Kobalt ones from lowes. I intended that to be temporary, but to my surprise, they work awesome. Havent had a time yet that I wished I had a different one.

I have a lot of "tool show" specialty stuff. The little picks, scrapers and crap that you only use once a year but cant do without.

Most of the other stuff is just off the shelf, lowes, home depot, autoparts store stuff.

A "bigtime pro" would probably laugh at my stuff but using these tools all day everyday, I cant find one reason to buy snapon or mac.

I dont think twice about spending money on a tool. To me even $100 for a wrench is nothing because you have it forever. But I walk on the snap on truck all the time with a pocket full of cash......And walk out with nothing.

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
Mostly Snap-On, bits and pieces of Blue-Point, Fluke, Stauff, Rexroth-Bosch, Komatsu, Cummins, CAT. I'd hate to think of the actual value of my tools :dizzy Currently contemplating buying this tool box as a xmas present From: Me To: Myself :D

Attachments

• 11PNZ.jpg
    11PNZ.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 6,265

Backhoe310SG

We dont do a whole lot of heavy repairs on our equipment our selves, mainly just maintenance and light repairs. I have an uncle and cousin who are/were professional mechanics, but we do try to keep decent tolls in our boxes. Alot of craftsman, the ratchet wrenches are awesome, dad has a lot of older Proto, Channellock and Klein pliers, some snap on stuff. Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench, Dewalt 18v cordless tools. I have a nice ball bearing craftsman roll away tool chest to keep the stuff thats not in the work truck. I bought a set of Kobalt ratchets in the plastic case a few years ago and use those more than my craftsman ratchets anymore.

adam21584

I like snap on for things like ratchets and wrenches. I have matco screw drivers and nut drivers, witch I think have the best grips. williams 3/4 sockets, enerpac hyd.

RandyS

I used to really try and stick with Snap On, Mac, etc. but the $$$ is absolutely crazy. I still have a lot of smaller hand tools (pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.) made by them and they certainly "feel" better than some other brands. But in the past 10 years I doubt if I've even been on a tool truck. Seems like the $$$ I save staying off the tool trucks allows me to jump on some crazy good used deals.