• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help

Dixiegirl

Hi, I'm new to this site. We had a 1996 Pete with a 475 cat, but it was lost in a fire a few months ago. It was a real good truck and never gave us any trouble. so we bought a used 1994 Pete with a cummins N-14 430. It has given us problems like you would't believe. We have had it worked on so many times. It has blue smoke every time it idles, and the step timing control box has been replaced. the truck won't pull when we need it to( like when you take off after being loaded) we haul logs and poles. it pulls when we are on a straight, with no hills. does it sound like the STC needs adjusting? If so the how do we adjust it? need all the help I can get, please, some one tell us how to fix this problem.

Puppy

Start with an overhead. Cummins are very sensitive to valve adjustment in my experience.

Dixiegirl

we had the engine and the injectors rebuilt, its been in and out of the shop since we got it. we already had an overhead, but nothing has helped.
thanks

sl3406

I would ask this question in the heavy duty section of thedieselgarage dot com. There are some good mechanics on there that are helpful.

tireman

There are indeed some knowledgeable folks here. Just give 'em a chance to see the thread. Not everyone checks in daily, especially on a holiday weekend.