• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HELP with identification of Detroit Diesel

lakechicken

I'm helping a friend resurrect an old DROTT Excavator that I think has the Detroit Diesel 6V53 natural.

can anyone tell me where the serial numbers are located on DD motors?

thanks
Brian

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The 6V is easy and obvious to identify. The other thing to identify is the model series, the 53 series used a valve cover that's held on by four machine screws (usually phillips head) at the lip where valve cover meets engine head. The 71 series used retainers in the center/top of valve cover, either hand knob type screws or 12 point head screws.

Komatsu 150

If it's still there they usually had an id plate in a holder on one valve cover. Has lots of info like injectors, accessories, engine arrangement, etc.

lakechicken

What do you mean be "in a holder"
is it bolted to something, or just hanging out?!

is it usually visible from the top, or should I climb inside the case to look closer?

thanks for the tip.
Do you know anyone with a copy of the repair manual for the DD 53 series engines?

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
look on ebay, Whats wrong with it?

Zed

The serial number should be front right of block, stamped into the deck in front of the cylinder head.
There will be 2 numbers, model & serial #. Model # will be something like 5063-5200, serial # 06D........
If you're chasing OEM parts the part guy will be asking for these numbers straight up...
Agree above for manuals, check ebay or google the crap out of it...

Komatsu 150

The "holder" is a long sheet metal piece attached to the valve cover, that is folded over top and bottom. (boy this is hard to describe) and the ID tag which is made of a soft metal is slid into it from the end. The information is stamped into the soft metal. The tag is pretty long, almost as long as the calve cover and I believe on a V engine is usually on the inside of the valve cover. It has all the codes and numbers that you would ever need to order parts. Detroits were available in an incredible variety of arrangements in the various model numbers. Without the tag it can be difficult to identify the various parts, especially now that they're getting scarce. I have the factory manual for the 53 series but don't really want to sell it yet. I'm willing to scan a few pages and e-mail them if you tell me what you need.

What do you mean be "in a holder"
is it bolted to something, or just hanging out?!

is it usually visible from the top, or should I climb inside the case to look closer?

thanks for the tip.
Do you know anyone with a copy of the repair manual for the DD 53 series engines?

lakechicken

I got a copy of the repair manual and have been doing some serious reading.

the manual (so far) has answered most of my questions, so until I actually tear into this
project I won't know what I'm working with.

thanks for all the help so far, and I will try to add some photos to keep things interesting....

thanks again for the help.
Brian

lakechicken

Okay, I went back out to get the serial numbers, and the ID plate is missing!
looks like (many years ago) someone took it off to paint the motor yellow, and never put it
back......so I'm going to try to cross match the filters that are on it to see if I can at least
get new filters. I am just going to have to wing it with the rest!

I'm hoping to get back out there soon, with batteries, filters and a camera.

Zed

You don't really need that plate, most of the old engines I've seen they are missing anyway.
The model and serial number will always be stamped into the block, there just might be a few coats of paint on it but!
If you have those 2 numbers, you're laughing.

lakechicken

Zed,
do you happen to know exactly where on the block? This motor needs a good powerwashing and has been painted.
thanks for the help even if you don't know...
Brian

Zed

if you don't recognize the picture, it's looking down from Front Right of engine. Big nut left of "model number' text box is the from of exhaust manifold. Numbers are stamped into the top deck of the engine block. If its been leaking oil etc that spot might be covered in crap, but a screw driver or scraper should uncover the numbers. Hope this helps!

lakechicken

IMG_8717a.jpgthank you very much. Still waiting to get back out to do some more work. Do you, by chance, have any
photos of what the emergency shut off is supposed to look like. this is what I'm working with so far.

Zed

Sure has Willie, she won't fire up too well like that! There should be a lever, so you can rotate the flap up, and then rotate the lock to the left, let go of lever and it will lock in the open postion.
there's that little plate holder that I didn't even wanna try and describe!

capnkel

Occupation
millwright
Thats a V53 engine for sure,V71 and V92 valve covers arent held on like the V53 is.The id tag hold is still on the valve cover,you can see the bent lip on it in the upper right corner of your picture,but it looks like the id insert is gone.