• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with deere 160 please

rwatkins

Ok our 01 160 lc fired up put on trailer and got moved to new site today. Went to start it and as soon as it started oil light came on and it shut down. I wasnt there but its the light with a little engine and a tear drop with 2 arrows pointing at each other. The guys there found the sensor under the injector pump and when they unplug it the light goes out. I had them hold the shut off seleniod in the off position and crank it with the line from the turbo disconected, and it blows tons of oil out so the pumps still workin and makin psi the oil is at proper heigth on dip stick. I think its the sensor but need some help? Machine is suposed to be digging a hose tomorro, not having me tearing it apart. Im gonna pick up a sensor first thing tomorro and try that. Is the light and location of the sensor im describing sound like an oil sensor because the machine is 1 hour away from me?

Red Bank

I think you have found your problem. If my guys did that I would try the sensor first, because as you posted the engine is oiling itself with the line removed.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Does sound like an engine oil pressure light to me. You said you had your guys disconnect the sensor and the light went out. Then you disconnected the oil line going to turbo, pulled the shutdown in manually, and started engine which had good oil flow coming from lube hose. Question; when you disconnect sensor and oil light goes out, will it start and run on it's own? Just curious.

rwatkins

No it wont run when its disconected. I dont remember if it started and shut off or if it wouldnt start period. Do dealers have the oil sensor lights on the self? I would think they fit a bunch of different engines and they should be there.

rwatkins

Well we didnt have any luck today. Replaced the sensor still shuts off. Tried a new shut off seleniod, still shuts off a second after it starts. Switched relays and diodes no help. And to top it off we lost throttle responses some time today. Cant get any services tech out there for a day or too. Im lost here. Anyone know what systems are tied in with the feul shut off seleniod? You turn the key it starts but the seleniod kicks off right away. And what is between the throttle on the pump and the dial in the cab, such as an electric motor or?

thewrench

Occupation
the Wrench
Maybe run a jumper wire to the fuel solenoid to bypass the rest of the system
could be a gremlin in the ignition system .

rwatkins

Are there any safety features that will shut the machine down by tripping the soleniod like this? Or is the ignition the only signals to the soleniod?

thewrench

Occupation
the Wrench
In most cases there may be a low oil safety SW which if you use a
resistor in line and ground out the oil sending unit that should bypass that . Now on some/most of the JD's that use a roosa pump there is a fitting in the top cover that the return line connects to , if you have this style pump ... and when you remove that steel fitting in the top cover and hold it to a light there is a glass like ball in there and you should wee light through it . I have had many calls for machine's shutting down when it was harvest time and
what I do is use a pick to puncture and remove the ball and that cured the problem. Remember if the fuel return is plugged it will shut down the engine and again I don't know what Injection pump you have so I'm only giving a method that worked for me.

rwatkins

I was told that fuel return trick from a farmer monday, But i can hold the soleniod and the machine will run untill i decide to let go. Thats how i got it off the trailer, and be putting it on tomorro cause we cant get a tech to it till friday. I need it monday so im taking it about 100 miles to a dealer thats gonna look at it tomorro when i get there.
So ill let ya know what we find out. Thanks

acswan

Hi, first post here, had to chime in when I read your post.Did you put a manual guage on and check oil pressure? Reason I ask, couple years back, JD grapple skidder operator reports oil light on,engine shutdown.All I had was a 0-5000psi guage so, like you, I pulled turbo feed line off and had LOTS of oil at startup.Disconnected shutdown, ordered pressure switch, and operator carried on.Calls in 1/2 hour later, turbo siezed, our other mech. sticks guage on,0 to 10psi with needle fluctuating.Pulled motor and found oil pump gear spinning on shaft, pumped great under no load but couldn't build pressure.Hopefully not your case, but it did happen to us

rwatkins

Yea they ruled the oil psi out it was good. We have it narrowed down to an electrical problem tripping the soleniod. And electronics are not my strong point. Im putting it on the low boy tomorro and its goin to a shop. I think a mouse is my culprit right now.

rwatkins

Well the 160 is finally fixed. They called back around lunch and said a fuse was blown And it works now. I told them to check the wiring out for damage from mice or something cause there has to be a reason for the fuse to blow. Well 4pm they call and said they found the problem cause the hoe died 5 minutes after new fuse. There was a crack in the magnet in the fuel shut off soleniod. Put our new soleniod back on and another fuse and it back in action. So we ll pick it up tomorro and back to the big jobs.