• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help picking a name!!

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
hey guys been awhile since I've posted but I could use some insight on what others think about my ideas.

I've been working for others for the last 8 years and I've always planned on one day striking out on my own and I think it is time to pull the trigger. Anyways I have to register my company name with the government so I can get a tax number but I'm having a hell of a time deciding on a name.

I wish it was as easy as calling it Steve Gingras excavating but it is a French name and I live in a mostly English area. Most people can't even pronounce it and end up saying jingrass or Gingrass when it's actually pronounced jenngra if that makes any sense lol

anyways I just don't think it works and I want the name to be easy for people to say so I've come up with either SG excavating and landscaping or Landex excavating & landscaping and a couple logos to go along with them and figured I'd ask the pros on here for some input.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

hosspuller

I like "landex". Short, easy to remember. But... what service are you providing ? I see "landscaping" and I think lawns, trees and flowers. "Excavating" and I think of earth moving.

I would not put the two services together in my thoughts.

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Ok that makes sense. I do mostly residential and agricultural excavating and land clearing but also do a bit of retaining wall work and if it means staying busy I have experience putting in walkways and patios which is why I put the two services. I'm just trying to get going so I figured I'd try and keep things broad but I'm not sold on how the two sound together either.

Dozerman85

I, too think that Landex has nice ring to it. S&G works, but it's not nearly as unique as Landex. I like that, it sounds good and it's different.

thrashingcows

I like the Landex as well....but not sure what else to use with it to get across the work you do. Maybe Landex Excavation and Earthwork(s)...???

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Landex has my vote.. kinda rolls off the tongue like Spandex.. and easy to remember..
How about, excavating & dirt work.?? kinda covers it all..
Don't forget to put the logo ON THE BACK of your trucks also.. you spend most of the time getting passed on the hiway or sitting in traffic..
Its hard to see a logo on the SIDE.. Machinery is ok.. but on the back with your movers.. and personal vehicles.
Theres a fleet of dump trucks here that have a saying on the back of their dump trucks..
"Building the Carolinas, one load at a time.." Maybe a snappy catch phrase..??
Best of luck to you..

Canadian_digger

Glad to hear your going on your own Steve. I also like the sound of Landex. If you don't mind me asking what equipment you plan on starting out with?

CatToy

I like LandEx but only you know if landscaping means something specific for your area. Here, you would get calls to put in sod, trees, fertilize yards, etc... I use my wife's first name initial and mine, as in J&S Dirtworks, I only play in the dirt (excavating, no traditional landscaping).

Using "thepumpguysc" thought, maybe LandEx - Digging Canada one bucket at a time...

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Glad to hear your going on your own Steve. I also like the sound of Landex. If you don't mind me asking what equipment you plan on starting out with?

Thanks Pat! Right now I've got a deal made on a bobcat t190 to get me started. Seems to be the machine that's always handy to have on site and I plan on renting shovels till I see what size is going to suit my needs the best. Last few side jobs I've done with rental machines required anywhere from a 5 ton mini to a 250 Deere so even though there's not much money to be made renting I feel like it's not a bad idea for the next little while until I can afford to add a shovel to the mix.

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Looking like landex might be going for the win. I had thought of doing exactly what you did with you're wife's initial which would of been E & S in my case because a big part of me wants to have something in the name that ties it to me but everyone I talk to about the name has voted landex so I think I'll have to go with what the people want hahahaha.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Everybody has to start somewhere and if it brings in revenue a landscraping job will do it.

Use the term heavy landscaping. It seperates man jobs from the landscapers.

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Everybody has to start somewhere and if it brings in revenue a landscraping job will do it.

Use the term heavy landscaping. It seperates man jobs from the landscapers.

I'm thinking I may just generalize it by putting "heavy equipments services" or "excavating services" and then maybe just put services like septic systems, excavations, landscaping, demolition and land clearing on the truck as well.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I really like Landex as well. One thing nice is that people on the other end of the phone are going to be able to spell it. Usually. I am sure somebody will spell it Lann Decks or something but for the most part it is short and sweet.

I wish I could come up with something like that. One day it will pop into my head....

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I really like Landex as well. One thing nice is that people on the other end of the phone are going to be able to spell it. Usually. I am sure somebody will spell it Lann Decks or something but for the most part it is short and sweet.

I wish I could come up with something like that. One day it will pop into my head....

Thanks for you're reply. If it makes you feel better I've been planning on starting a business for years and it only came to me a few weeks ago.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One more for the LandEx.

One thought off top of my head is to have a simple LoGo like that where someone can recognize it in the blink of the eye. See way too many around that try to go into too much detail or get to fancy, then when you see one of their trucks you have no idea of what it says. Kind of like the people who post yard sale signs with nice bright yellow lettering on a 8 1/2X11 sheet of white paper. Looks great while sitting at the kitchen table, but is almost impossible to read while driving by at 40 mph on a sunny day.

Also don't forget to put you phone number there!

Welder Dave

Put it as contracting and then underneath you could put excavating and dirt work. Don't put too much or it confuses people. Customers can always ask you if can you do other jobs. Too many types of jobs listed looks like you dabble in a lot of things and don't specialize in anything. You can put more types of jobs you do in your advertising and flyers but on the truck keep it simple.