• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help on what type of dirt/gravel roller to get!

buggyman

Occupation
Kingsbury Grading
I’m looking at getting a roller for gravel roads. I have a Caterpillar 12 grader and I see some of my customers want their road compacted too.
I’m open to just about any type if it meets my needs and the price is right. The types I’m considering now are;
Pull behind, can pull with grader or one of my tractors.
Mount one onto the rear of the grader, steel roller or maybe a tire roller.
Self propelled, but what type? Vibrating or not? How much bigger does a drum need to be, to compare with a vibrating unit? Crows foot? Bolt on Z plates?
20,000 lbs is about the biggest that I can haul.
I’m a one man, and I might get my wife to help, operation.
Recommendations on what size, and type of older “low cost” quality rollers would be great.
Thanks, Paul

Turbo21835

Ahh the eternal pain in the ass with a roller. It sits so much and doesnt make me a lot of money, yet i need it for 20 minutes every day. What exactly are you compacting? If its dirt, or a crushed stone, you can probably get away with wheel rolling it in with the tires on your 12. Another option you can look at, depending on your grader is a rubber tire roller that mounts in place on a rear mounted ripper.

If I remember the area of the country you are located in, you have a lot of rock. Im going to guess you may get into "shot rock" roads. Basically a rock that was had a little extra shot added to make it into smaller usable material. To help compact it, and break it down, I have heard of a roller. Williamson grid sounds familiar. I have family in Alaska that uses one. Basically sounds like a smooth drum with bars welded on in a Z pattern. Possibly what youre calling Z plates? From what I hear, they are help full in breaking that shot rock down into a nicer surface. Thats probably going to be your best bet. Its kind of hard to say without a little more info on the material your working.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Go with the biggest vibrating self propelled roller you can afford,as it gets paid for you can change to a bigger/ more modern roller,also remember the grader makes the money not the roller,but the roller will call for more grader work.

Stock

buggyman

Occupation
Kingsbury Grading
Thanks Stock and Turbo21835

I will be compacting gravel roads, normally 1" minus crushed rock.
What are the advantages of a single versus double drum rollers?
Is there some specific types of rollers I should stay away from?

Thanks again, Paul

Turbo21835

Single vs double?

Its going to depend on your plans for the future. If you are going into the asphalt business then a double drum would not be a bad option. Just remember, take those matts off the drum scrapers, otherwise, you will mess them up in rock and dirt.

If you plan on staying in dirt, then go with a single drum. Its going to be more productive. Plus, you can get different bolt on drum kits. Such as a padfoot for working in heavy clays. You dont really need to have a sheepsfoot for working in clay but it will speed you up, because you wont have to run over your compacted material with a grader or dozer to give something for the next lift to stick to.

buggyman

Occupation
Kingsbury Grading
Thanks Turbo21835

Goood info; just what I'm needing!

Paul

Single vs double?

Its going to depend on your plans for the future. If you are going into the asphalt business then a double drum would not be a bad option. Just remember, take those matts off the drum scrapers, otherwise, you will mess them up in rock and dirt.

If you plan on staying in dirt, then go with a single drum. Its going to be more productive. Plus, you can get different bolt on drum kits. Such as a padfoot for working in heavy clays. You dont really need to have a sheepsfoot for working in clay but it will speed you up, because you wont have to run over your compacted material with a grader or dozer to give something for the next lift to stick to.