• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help installing block heater in Cat 226B

johnstra

I'm trying to install a block heater - presses into freeze plug bore. I can't get room to get any kind of stike with a hammer. I need some ideas how I can get this thing installed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
-john

Bentworker2

Occupation
Substation Electrician
Do you have enough room for an air chisel? They make hammer bits for them.

Here is a Snap-On one (PHG71A)

Ajax makes a bunch of nice air chisel bits, they make a dedicated freeze plug installation bit. It is kinda goofy looking, but it should work well. A bit with a ball end goes into the zip gun, then you place a disk with a half sphere detent in it and drive the plug flat.

Check out ajax at http://www.ajaxtools.com/home.php

Attachments

• 36505.JPG
    36505.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 515
  • 1160.gif
    1160.gif
    539 bytes · Views: 500

johnstra

Thanks Bent. I'll try that, but I had to get it back together quick so I just put one of those aftermarket o-ring jobbies (Kat's Heater) in it. When I can find a bit that'll work I'll try the stock press-in unit again later with the air chisel.
-john