• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hello

mikeypmcg

New to your forum and equipment, 2 weeks ago i picked up a 60 something case 530 ck. with loader and backhoe. I have been using it to stump and create a lawn. It has a significant leak on one of the pistons that makes the backhoe swing. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and would like to rebuild it. Problem is how do I get that piston apart? Any help would be appreciated, sorry i dont know the techinical terms.
Thanks

cow_rancher

Rancher

I'm not familiar with the 530, but with my 580b the cap unscrews with a spanner wrench, although from the ridges made on the cap it was obvious that a large channel lock pliers had been used. I picked one up at Sears, and that's how I've taken them apart.

Rancher

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Welcome Mikeypmcg. If Phil or Elast are lurking around or wrenchbender they can prlly give a good heads up.

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
Welcome to heavy equipment forums mikeypmcg-sorry, don't know how to fix your problem. ZAXIS

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I don't remember the layout on a 530 either, it's a smaller hoe attachment. See if you can get the gland to unscrew with the cylinder still attached to the hoe. Make sure there is no small locking screw in the gland. The hydraulic hoses going the the cylinder may have to be loosened to allow pulling the rod assembly out. Remove the rod pin and swing the rod sideways to remove. Sometimes the other swing cylinder rod pin has to come out, so both cylinders will swing sideways enough. A lot of these glands end up getting the tapered punch and hammer used on them to get them turning, which damages the holes. There is a tool made to fit these holes. Once removed, place the rod end back where the pin can hold it, support the piston on a block of wood and remove the piston retaining bolt. There might be another place on the backhoe where you can hold the rod assembly from turning, such as the extra holes in the hoe bucket. Phil:)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...Remove the rod pin and swing the rod sideways to remove. Sometimes the other swing cylinder rod pin has to come out, so both cylinders will swing sideways enough....

Or, swinging the hoe itself some distance to one side may help with that.

mikeypmcg

thanks keep any info coming. this seems to be a great forum i am glad i found it. Going camping/fishing this weekend will work on it next week and post my outcome...

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
Mike, I purchased a repair manual for my 530 CK, unfortunately I didn't think I would need the loader, hoe one. 1st mistake I ever made. I will be getting it just to make things easier.
Drop me a PM or email at d.mount@sympatico.ca and I will give you the business info.
Good luck with machine, I will be putting my engine back together on Monday and hopefully get it running next week.

Dave

Last edited: