• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heated Shop Or A Sheet Of Tin ?

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Don't get your feathers ruffled OCR :D

LOL... never happen... ;)

Just wait till I get around to posting a pic of my new service truck...:tong

Well, hurry up... I'd like to see it... :thumbsup

OCR... :)

I hope you didn't do any (vertical up) welding, on it... :tong

td25c

Ultimate shop

Our shop is only 24 x 32 feet.We heat with wood,only trouble is our equipment inventory grew faster than the shop area so we cant get some equipment inside in bad weather to work on it.I would like to build a shop similiar in design to a fire station with open bays in the center,machine shop & general storage area on one side,and living quarters on the other side.Here is a link to what I am thinking about,dont look OCR. www.emergencyfans.com/images/page4-station51/Station127DT.jpg

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
dont look OCR.

And to think... we used to be... such good friends... :D :D

That is nice, 25c... actually had a similar thought.

OCR... :)

Komatsu 150

Our shop is only 24 x 32 feet.We heat with wood,only trouble is our equipment inventory grew faster than the shop area so we cant get some equipment inside in bad weather to work on it.I would like to build a shop similiar in design to a fire station with open bays in the center,machine shop & general storage area on one side,and living quarters on the other side.Here is a link to what I am thinking about,dont look OCR. www.emergencyfans.com/images/page4-station51/Station127DT.jpg

Nice idea but your fire insurance company might not be happy. A friend did it, build a house with his commercial cabinet shop on first floor. His insurance company made him build a separate building or no insurance.

onemank6

just moved from a pole barn to a 1 car garage but we now have acreage so the heated barn is coming

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
15 degree pad swap on my dooley was OK. No wind was a big help:D no gloves and about 1 hours. Jack was not working right so I was pumping it like crazy so she could get the jack stand in. It was like rowing upstream. I got a chest cold so bad it hurt to breathe out in the cold so I did one side then came in for 10 minutes for warm air..:eek:

jhill

I have a 36 x 40 wood sided building with ceiling insulation and a concrete floor. Built it myself in better times. I Have a tarp I can run down the middle so I can heat it as needed with a torpedo heater.

Jerry

Airedale

With the cabin fever thread started I was thinking how many guys have large work shops that's heated where they spend winter days thinking about new toys. For myself its a pole barn thats colder then standing out side and at times laying on a sheet of tin working on something. :D

Autocar:

I just have to say this, since you already have the barn, why not just heat the sheet of tin? :D Kind of like a large electric heating pad to lay on. I live in North Dakota I will buy one from you. Say some electric heating coils fixed to the sheet of tin a little insulation over them to make it soft then cover it with Kevlar and I would like a 100' cord. Let me know when you get it done.

Thanks,

Airedale

Autocar

Airedale great idea, but what if I get a short in my tin heating pad ! :D Every time I plug block heaters in for over night I lay in bed with one eye open watching for a yellow glow :D It has been twenty years ago I had a R model Mack and I went out to start it and it wouldn't start . Gave you a idea of a dead battery. I tilted the hood and hear the red squirrels had chewed every bit of insulation off the whole wire system. Starter to head lites everything was gone except copper wire and even some of that was clipped,I suppose they were after the road salt that was absorbed in the cloth insulation.

Airedale

Airedale great idea, but what if I get a short in my tin heating pad ! :D Every time I plug block heaters in for over night I lay in bed with one eye open watching for a yellow glow :D It has been twenty years ago I had a R model Mack and I went out to start it and it wouldn't start . Gave you a idea of a dead battery. I tilted the hood and hear the red squirrels had chewed every bit of insulation off the whole wire system. Starter to head lites everything was gone except copper wire and even some of that was clipped,I suppose they were after the road salt that was absorbed in the cloth insulation.

Autocar, That just goes to show, it's always....... something!:D But, I bet they enjoyed their salty treat. I know people who eat those rascals now I know why. How long does it take to rewire a R model Mack? I love those old Mack trucks. I understand about the yellow glow it make me nervous to plub in my tractor whenits in the barn.

Airedale

Last edited:

Autocar

I don't remember any more how long it did take me ,but I do remember it was a pain. I ran that Mack for years then got me a Paystar 5000 and now only run Autocars. There's something about older classic trucks that I like,always thought those narrow window Petes with the butterfly hoods were about as cool as big trucks come. I haven't seen one in years but I suppose theres a few still around. Have a great weekend :)