• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

dirty4fun

Reg, Man that is awesome the sound unit was just what you needed to complete the real look, now with the real sound. Totally does make your work just unbelieveable, what a great work you do, on your models, you definitely are the man!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Here's a jewel that I found on the Hillcrest Lumber Reunion video . An old Hayes Trunk with a 60 ft. Madill tower mounted on it , it was the Hillcrest Lumber Co.'s until they shut down in 1968 . I presume Ted Shaw of Sooke B.C. bought it around that time , in the Spring of 1976 he still had it , it was pretty used up but still running ,( we were getting 8 to 10 highway loads a day)IMG  4001 resize.jpg it had been pulled over (had a slight kink in the tower that had been fish plated) it never had "Jacks' to lift up the tower to drop the "Pad" you just backed over center then managed to put brace arms that support the base of the tower in place . I kinda fudged the truth about how much experience I had running yarder , so when Tuck Vowels the woods forman stopped hollering at me , and Ted Shaw quit bring out candidates for the position I knew I had it figured out . So shortly after that I got a call from Chum Carley offering me a job running a fairly new Madill 009 yarder on a rubber tire carrier at Sombrio , I gladly accepted .

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX,question about H-17 or any other self-loaders. Have you had to rebuild or replace the trailer load cylinders? Also has any driver noticed the cylinder mounts cracking at the point of weld on the frame?

HDX

No cracks Blk prince but the two side lift cyl's are starting to leak Have not been touched since M&B days in the late 70's and the end seals are going to have to be re-sealed The main ram down in between the frame rails is still good. It has never been done since new so that is pretty darn good

HDX

This one was cut up in Duncan a few years ago. It was for sale through Vantage Equipment and was supposed to have been sold so we didn't pursue it. Found out later it was destroyed by scrappies.
IMG_0312.JPGIMG_0313.JPG

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Thats the same Hayes truck with a Madill tower mounted on it . I bumped in to Ray Shambrook a few years ago , he had been Tending Hook on that old tower for Ted Shaw Logging when I was running it , he told me that Craig Creek logging had bought the tower and he was running it for them .

HDX

Was too bad that she got destroyed. We keep looking for one of these model trucks There was one out Nanaimo Lakes area for a long time but we were told she also fell victim to the scrap markets One day though LOL

skadill

RB auction Hayes

Nanaimo trucks from the rb guide. Yellow dump truck is serial #5178 & Ex M&B tanker is serial#5176

Attachments

• e2c9e592-f693-4e0c-a2c4-8dbb19a95b33.jpg
    e2c9e592-f693-4e0c-a2c4-8dbb19a95b33.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 504
  • 67ad7bea-8b33-4a5a-893d-0273a3a7668b.jpg
    67ad7bea-8b33-4a5a-893d-0273a3a7668b.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 505

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Hayes in Alaska

I was going through old pictures of my travels and found a Hayes. This photo is from 1996 and was taken at Cholmondeley Sound at a Gildersleeve floating camp. There was two camps in Cholmondeley and I dont remember which of the two camps this was, but I think it was South Arm. Interesting note; Keaton Gildersleeve used Komatsu WA600 wheelloaders in the sort yard for splashing bundles into the saltwater because he said the Komatsu loader could lift a "Seaalaska export bundle". Whereas the competing Caterpillar 988F of the day couldn't quite do it. There was a lot of Komatsu iron on Prince of Wales Isle. During the 90's.

Coaldust
image.jpg