• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Good eye ,when I posted it I was looking at the guard over the winch on top , back of water tank and the extra step on drivers side running board . Just wondering what happened to #6-237 ?

HDX

I think old 238 has had a pretty tough life since she left you guys Al! Don't know about 237 Did she have a bunch of stuff welded on the front bumper Was she sold at the R/B auction in chemainus? Remember, I have the cab off one of them and you thought you maybe knew what one it was. Had a 3 inch pipe thing welded to the rear of the cab Some kind of fresh air induction thing when pushing the low bed It did have a set of controls in it for maybe a sander Been a long time since I looked inside It is put away for a future project

HDX

Did you happen to notice how high she is sitting on the steering axle? Abnormal!!! Wonder if they stuffed a used set of Pacific P16 springs in there? Remember --they had the "Camel back" style arc to them. That is what Olsen's did with 6-251 and she sits up like that also

camptramp

Occupation
When the new highway P510S Pacific's started to arrive at Renfrew Div. , in spring of 1986 the #6-232 was sold to Ted LeRoy the #6-238 was sold to someone on Sunshine Coast , #6-239 went to Elk River Timber , the #6-236 was made into a Sand Truck , but I can't remember where #6-237 went , possibly to ERT with the #6-239 ? I have to take some pictures back to Brian Dickson , I'll make a note to self to ask him . I'm pretty sure you have the cab off the #6-244 .

HDX

OK Thanks Al. The 6-233 was sold to Hayes forest She had two bunks welded on her I think as a chunk truck Ozzie would know 6-232 was sold again after Leroys and Mt Sicker has it, as a low bed truck in alberni behind the Cameron Shop 6-238 went through Franklin on her way to the Coleman Dump to get on a barge to the R/B auction Was sold to Kip Brown over there with the trailer And now she is trying to make her way home again. If I get a chance I will go up and do a photo op on her.

HDX

H321 Ex Franklin truck Lee Hutton was her only driver till she was sold to larose Was funny because in his rush to get her out of the Cameron Shop Yard he took the wrong trailer It was kind of a made up one!!! Trailer was a Hayes Trailer with a 14 foot bunk and the front bunk was a Pacific bunk and reach it was 15 feet wide. You can see the difference in this picture LOL Also look at the rear bunk It is HAYES!!!!! Franklin never had any 14 foot pacific trailers and that is X385 new with the Franklin HDX Preload's in 74 Had to laugh because only reason he grabbed that one was it had good tires on it

HDX

Crown Z used a small one and BCFP used a 3 inch pin and we used the big 3 1/2 inch pin Both the Hayes and Pacific trailers we got all came with the big pins. Our Trucks / trailers in 1974 were all 14 foot bunks and so was the BCFP Caycuse truck's because of the big NitNat Bridge It had gabled sides on it at that time and you could not get 15 foot bunks across it without hitting the sides. Bridge was rebuilt in 76 and did away with the sides, so width did not matter any more. We never had Pacific PreLoad trailer's till we got the three big P16's with the V12's. They came with 6 Pacific 60 ton trailers and 15 foot bunks. When we became IPL we had Crown Z and BCFP trailers so they ended up changing ALL the trailers to the big pin and then putting the big jaws into all the 5th wheel's Was the end of any problems some of the guys were having.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thanks...that's the answer I was looking for.I am assuming the 3 big P-16's with 2 trailers each were the 3 3412 Cat powered trucks .

HDX

Yes they were Cory. After the dust settled and we pretty well stopped pre-loading three of the Pacific trailers were parked because they were not need . Used as spare trailers, so three of us with the Hayes trucks grabbed them. They were a lot better trailers, and in very good shape as opposed to the well worn Hayes trailers. Besides the 15 foot bunks allowed you to haul more wood

tamrock88

Hi all...newby question. But Im just fasinated with these trucks. How many styles of truck did hayes make for off highway hauling? In reading all these posts I see mention of HD and HDX...wre there other configerations? Are there books I can get to learn more about them.
Thanks to all of you who put this stuff on here. Learning lots and loving every minute of it!!!!
Also , is therea truck show for the 95th yr of hayes trucks?
Cheers
Steve

HDX

tamrock88 you are on page 124 of the book LOL Hayes built a number of different models for the off highway market The HD was the first These came into being in 1952 The first 17 of these trucks built went to MacMillan & Bloedel Then the first HDX in 1954 --The first one built went to Butler Brothers in Sooke BC, then BCFP took delivery of 8 new HDX's also in 1954 Both these model trucks would undergo a number of changes in the 23 years they were built. Hayes introduced an all new truck in 1964 It was called a WHD Hayes and there was another model called a WHDX. For the most part these four models were the main trucks used in the forest industry built by Hayes. Can give more details if required

tamrock88

tamrock88 you are on page 124 of the book LOL Hayes built a number of different models for the off highway market The HD was the first These came into being in 1952 The first 17 of these trucks built went to MacMillan & Bloedel Then the first HDX in 1954 --The first one built went to Butler Brothers in Sooke BC, then BCFP took delivery of 8 new HDX's also in 1954 Both these model trucks would undergo a number of changes in the 23 years they were built. Hayes introduced an all new truck in 1964 It was called a WHD Hayes and there was another model called a WHDX. For the most part these four models were the main trucks used in the forest industry built by Hayes. Can give more details if required
That is great Info...thank you HDX!! Looking to learn as much as I can.
I wish I had of had the chance to see these trucks in there prime. I moved to island just as the down turn saw most of the south island outfits dissappear.
Glad to see some outfits still run them. would if liked the chance to wrench on them too!!! Just plain cool.
Thanks again for sharing!

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Tamrock88....not up to date with the current status of them but as of a short while ago there was aprox 16 Hayes HDX's and Pacific P-16's sitting in plain view in a compound in Parksville..
The forestry equipment forum will keep you busy reading for a very long time....

camptramp

Occupation
Born 2clearcut (Les Way) ,scan 39 First HDX Butler Brothers Sooke ..jpg scan 40 First HDX Butler Brothers Sooke ..jpg These are pictures of what I think is the First HDX Hayes at Sooke B.C. I don't know if Butler Brothers owned it or Bill Neil owned it .

tamrock88

Tamrock88....not up to date with the current status of them but as of a short while ago there was aprox 16 Hayes HDX's and Pacific P-16's sitting in plain view in a compound in Parksville..
The forestry equipment forum will keep you busy reading for a very long time....
Lol....yep Three full sets of reading in camp and still not all up onit!!
Thanks for the info...Ill go check them out on Days off.