• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hauling Equipment

telwood

I've got a JD410 (15,000 lb) and a JD455G (19,000 lbs). Just bought a 1999 F800 with flatbed dump and wondered if this truck can pull the 455G? Engine is diesel 5.9. which I know would be a dog but am not concerned as it would just be local area hauling and too and from the shop.

With regards to the trailer should I be looking for a 10 ton or is that not adequate.

Sorry for posting in this section but am looking for advice from guys pulling track dozers.

Thanks,
Tom

Deere500a

Stronger is better-Zieman 12ton hoe trailer less tare=8tons. Braking power is as important or more then hp going down the line, juice brakes on your Ford?

lantraxco

Truck should be fine. I would suggest a gooseneck if you can live with losing the use of part the bed when towing the trailer, as it will put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle which is better for traction all around.

I agree with Deere500a here, a ten ton trailer is toolight, it will be rated at 20,000 GROSS, which means payload plus tare weight of the trailer, minus tongue weight on the tow rig. I used to run a 12 Ton three axle gooseneck behind a dodge 350 dually with the cummins 5.9 and it would haul 20,000 payload legal on all axles if you got enough weight up on the hitch.

telwood

Thanks for the help and it is greatly appreciated. My F800 has airbrakes and understand the trailer brakes will be critical. I'll also consider the gooseneck and don't think it would be a problem losing part of the bed. The truck does have the pintle hitch so will be checking that first and it looks like more availability of trailers with the pintle. The triple axle 12 ton or better makes good sense.

Thanks,
Tom

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Need to pay attention to pintle as well, 4= 1/2" bolt to truck is less than 15 ton rated, a four 3/4" bolting with air damper jaw is usually 45T, A six bolt will usually rate at 50T. Get one with the air brake damper, saves the hammering from accel to decel.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm confused. My 9 ton is rated at 22500 gross. It has three 7500 LB axles. With 15% on the hitch 3375 subtracted from 22500 that's 19125, 2125 per tire. Subtracting 4500 trailer weight it carries about 9 ton. #1 son assures me the weight reference of the trailer refers to gross, not capacity. Who's right, I don't know.

I do firmly believe the pintle will do just fine. Goosenecks are for light trucks pulling big trailers. You haven't said the GVWR of the F800 I presume 26000 or more. Sounds much like my rig pulling the aforementioned 9 ton with 16400 LBS of Case 580K with extend a hoe, and thumb. I tow with a 1976 C65 27500 GVWR It is equipped with a 5 speed, two speed rear axle, and a 427 gas truck engine. These engines are fire breathing monsters, but coupled to this much weight it struggles on hills. My hitch is mounted to the dump body, so I have a long pin to lock the body down when towing. Air brakes on the truck, and electric on the trailer work well.

Willie

lantraxco

I think it depends on the trailer manufacturer, more always sounds better so typically if it says 9 ton, that's gross weight. Some of them now the model numbers are in thousands of pounds instead of tons, again bigger number makes it sound better, lol

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Need to pay attention to pintle as well, 4= 1/2" bolt to truck is less than 15 ton rated, a four 3/4" bolting with air damper jaw is usually 45T, A six bolt will usually rate at 50T. Get one with the air brake damper, saves the hammering from accel to decel.

I second the no-slack hitch since your truck has air, smooth as glass! well not quite...

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I posted that as I had the 'Joy' of driving a R600 Mack 15 yd with a 12 yd pup for a few bucks side job that the pintle chamber base broke away on, that damn trailer like to beat me to death until I replaced the chamber base. Owner was pleased all the way up til I told him how much, he paid for parts but no labor, I quit working for him.

JDOFMEMI

The added jaw on the hitch that takes up the slack works by air pressure, so it will relieve when twisting up, but keep tight enough to prevent the front to rear slop when pulling.

Labparamour

Thanks, good to know. I've seen 'em on dumps w/ pups but the trailers typically have a rubber bushing and swivel eye and I know there's fixed eyes on converter dollies but didn't think over-the-road would have as much twisting as a construction/farm vehicle.
I may have to look into upgrading my hitch!

DB

telwood

Great information and I appreciate it. Now to find the right trailer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most of the Midwest long pipe tongue pups have a fixed eye and a fixed six bolt pintle, the amount of rotation put on one is pretty minor if you look at the angles you can work with before flipping a trailer on it's side or over and you DO NOT EVER want a trailer off angle to load or unload a tracked machine EVER. A very dear friend and rock supplier for us lost his brother from a slide off machine, trailer was down to one side, not excessively with a 750 Deere Dozer on it, all he did was try to offload to get the stuck trailer out and it side slipped just as he put in gear, rolled to the track truck and threw him out then proceeded to slow roll on over crushing him. AGAIN DO NOT try to unload or load a track off a trailer off angled sideways, EVER! May get lucky once or twice but luck tends to run out.

lantraxco

Yes. It's always amazed me just how little slope it takes to cause steel tracked machines to slide when on ramps or trailers. I survived a few rodeos coming off tilt decks and such even on flat ground, and the old leakers we hauled didn't help any oiling up the tracks and deck. Be careful out there.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
That goes for rubber too if a wet day. Level is best. Use your seat belt!!! It seems silly, but you get tossed seemingly too fast to react. I got tossed out of the open door of a backhoe. By the time I went to grab I was outside the cab. Thankfully it didn't land on its side, the stabilizers were out. A dog could walk under the machine as it lay on its side.

Willie

telwood

Located a 20t trailer with dual axle, 20' length....but it has a diamond plate bed....how does that work with track equipment? I was thinking of using a couple rubber belts on the deck to keep it from sliding? Anyone use metal deck trailers w/ track equiment?

Thanks,
Tom

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Located a 20t trailer with dual axle, 20' length....but it has a diamond plate bed....how does that work with track equipment? I was thinking of using a couple rubber belts on the deck to keep it from sliding? Anyone use metal deck trailers w/ track equiment?

Thanks,
Tom
Tractor supply has stall mats. If I recall they cost $40.00 each. I cut them in half, and I can easily move them to place them under the crawler tracks whether crossing paved roads or climbing on a trailer.

Willie