• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Haul truck tips and suggestions to a new comer

cumminsman08

HI all im new to the forum and just got a job offer for a haul truck operator for a strip mining job. Just looking for some opinions from the experienced and my elders as im starting into my career of heavy equipment operating and mechanic. I will be starting job mid February hopefully, and until then i want to gain as much as possible to what ill be getting into... I dont see anything being too difficult as i have ran tractor and trailer some running low boy. And starting out something new i wanna be as safe as possible and learn as much as possible thanks a bunch for reading and im eager to meet everyone... Thanks Kyle

cumminsman08

Anyone have any experience out there on a rock truck come on now there has to be all kind of knowledge on this site that's why I came here. Only details on what truck so far is a 200 ton rock truck.

alco

Haul truck isn't a tough job, I've done lots of it. Biggest thing is dealing with the boredom, and spotting yourself properly at the shovel or loader. Other than that, almost every site has different rules and requirements, so it's hard to say without knowing all the details. Since you've done some driving, you should pick it up quickly.

Be nice to the shovel/loader operators and the dozer operators....try and do what they want, and odds are, you'll get along just fine with them. Take on the attitude that "I don't have to listen to you because I know what I'm doing!" and you'll likely but heads left right and center....lol.

What kind of shifts will you be working? What schedule and rotation? Fill us in on as many details as you can, we love to learn all about others jobs.

cumminsman08

Alright thanks for the input so far keep it coming, stay tuned my scheduling and information is going to be sent to me this week in the mail so ill have some idea before I go up to finish my paperwork and get things going. A couple more questions sorry i like to do some research before I get into starting my career. How secure do the trucks feel compared to a regular dump truck? Im sure it'll take sometime to get used to it on hills and bumps.

cumminsman08

Hey alco what's your personal opinion on starting my career this way going into the coal business I have a few different options and this is where im going right now for the fact that first job is hard to find and I wasn't turning this down. I have great responsibility and work ethic so im willing to put in the hours. I never really talked to anyone in this field so I would appreciate your opinion as I have alot heading for me in life.

cumminsman08

Not having started the job yet and knowing im secure and what regulations or rules the company has that I don't know of its best for me feeling safe to not give who yet my luck something would happen someway I would lose it. Nothing against you rino1494 I respect your? Just me being younger and new into the field its best I don't stick my chest out before I get some knowledge from the company and experience.

stnjohnson

I would agree with the boredom and listening to the loader and dozer operators. I think driving a haul truck is the most boring job this side of a toll booth (or a drill) but a lot of the guys I know love it. It's exciting for a little bit though.

If you jerk your loader operator around he's not going to worry too much about going easy on you. Try and talk with your dozer man before the shift a little bit, especially if you're going to be dumping in a complicated spot. He can probably give you some insight as to what he's going to want out of you. Good luck and congratulations.

cumminsman08

Alright thanks so i see my main goal in starting out is keeping fellow operators and the more experienced happy and dont do anything stupid that will jerk there chains. I can do that i just got to have some communication with them first it seems... Im eager to find out what ill be running and what shape of equipment im starting out with but im gonna be satisfied with anything i get..