• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Harvest in full swing:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Had basically the same thing happen with the oil, water separator pit at the shop when being built. Pit was to be concrete and the back wall form broke apart. This was to the inside so the balance of the form was pulled out and the spilled concrete became the floor instead of the rear wall. The pit was then blocked up by these guys the next day and waterproofed later in all three chambers. It works well discharging clean water into my septic system.

Thinking I may go down another six inches to floor elevation as the headroom would probably be welcome without a lot of extra reach required.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm only 5'8", my son is 6'2". The pit at about 5' 2" works reasonably well. I'd go a bit deeper if I were doing it again, he bangs his head occasionally on a pumpkin under a non big tired Jeep. He was 11 years old when I built it

1693TA

Occupation
You and I, along with sons are about equal. I probably wouldn't use this pit much for automotive work as have two Rotary brand surface mounted, and a portable scissor lift in the shop for that work. This pit area in reality would serve as a place to service and keep the dozer parked under cover, along with service heavy trucks. Probably get used on a lot of things I'm not thinking about also.

That back wall form blowing out on the separator pour is the reasoning behind the selection of block for the sidewalls. However in reality, I need to evaluate compressive strength of block with an 8" formed and poured top cap to allow a buried angle steel track for the jacking beam to travel in/on. Logic says the compressive strength is there, but I'd like data proving the theory. Also need sidewall loading for soil type as don't want to blow a sidewall inward from compressive downforces.

I am open to changing plans and going with poured walls also but all things considered the block is less money as already have most needed on hand.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
Forgot to update this but have talked again to the party that did my block work for the spray room all those years ago. They are scheduling work the last week of April, and first week of May 2024 and will do that trench "turn key" finished for $3K. Using my existing block, and furnishing any additional needed, I will be left with a compacted subgrade however far down from finish grade I ask for. This also includes a bedded in angle weldment at inner perimeter edge. I would provide this weldment to support both a sliding jacking beam, and a sectional trench cover if not being used.

Think I'm going to give the "go ahead" on this and have the subgrade left about 12" below finish grade to allow 2" clean, followed by 1" clean stone for a finished elevation as one idea. Another idea for a finished floor height would be rail ties as have a friend that buys them by the semi trailer load. Wouldn't be too concerned about grouser bars tearing anything up with them. Given the entrance for the shelter will only allow for a straight in and out approach, I could use a lightweight plastic trench covers without much concern for it collapsing from a wheel, track, or anything heavy, but fully support someone standing upon it.

Ideas are welcome so feel free to contribute.

1693TA

Occupation
Getting some paint on my harvest wagon finally. Told cousin my "magic powers" must be waning as I commanded the bumper and lug nuts be silver, but came out black:20240215_113637.jpg