• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Will_M

Truck is going back in to the shop this week, hopefully the engine is out by next weekend.
I've been referred to a machine shop in Calgary, the guy who owns it is a 12 valve wizard apparently. He's been working on them and overhauling them for over 20 years. Hopefully in a months time the truck will have a brand new heart, and be better than it was when the engine was brand new.
I'll post updates as I get them!

Will_M

Engine is out, I dropped it off at the machine shop this morning.

Guy seemed quite knowledgeable about all things B-model Cummins.
We won't know what's wrong inside until it's pulled apart but just by looking at it, he noticed a few things wrong with it for a pickup application. He's thinking a combination of not enough things in some areas and not the proper things in others were changed when this engine was converted from industrial use to a pickup use engine.

If there's a silver lining to the engine problems happening, at least it's going to be new when it's done and it'll be put back together properly for what it's going to be doing. There might be an extra upgrade or two going in to it while we're this deep too.

Will_M

I got an update from the engine shop yesterday. The #6 piston had failed and it looked like it was stuck in the cylinder for a brief moment, most likely when the engine died and the clutch was smoked, it was definitely the cause of the ticking.
On top of that, it looks like the internals of the engine got quite hot at some point in its life. 3 connecting rods got hot enough that they started to blue. By the looks of the bearings and the bottom end it looked like someone did a part way overhaul and went in through the oil pan and did some work to the bottom end without pulling pistons out.
Nothing that they have found so far can't be fixed, they're starting to clean parts today and come up with a list of what's needed.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I got an update from the engine shop yesterday. The #6 piston had failed and it looked like it was stuck in the cylinder for a brief moment, most likely when the engine died and the clutch was smoked, it was definitely the cause of the ticking.
On top of that, it looks like the internals of the engine got quite hot at some point in its life. 3 connecting rods got hot enough that they started to blue. By the looks of the bearings and the bottom end it looked like someone did a part way overhaul and went in through the oil pan and did some work to the bottom end without pulling pistons out.
Nothing that they have found so far can't be fixed, they're starting to clean parts today and come up with a list of what's needed.
You're on the road to recovery.

Will_M

Nothing more yet than what I posted a couple weeks ago about the #6 piston and the bluing of 3 of the rods.

Engine will hopefully be finished by the weekend. It'll have proper sized injectors in it, a new turbo with the right size exhaust turbine so it's going to spool quicker, 3000 rpm governor springs, heavy duty head studs and a few other mods to whip out in to shape.

The engine guy could tell from what he saw and took apart that it would have been quite gutless but he assures me it'll be producing a lot more power now.

Hopefully the weather stays decent so I can get a few miles on it once it's back in the truck.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Thats a ugly piston...I have heard they can lean out on the end cyl's due to the inlet on the intake.That is why I am making a dual inlet intake for mine..My friend put a dual inlet intake (Banks) on his Cummins Dodge truck and said it made a huge difference....The new engine Will should last you your life time..Is a exhaust brake in the plans..I have a Pak-brake exhaust brake..Holy Fu*K does it haul that truck down in 3rd gear..Need to get my truck fired up again..Friken divorces can sure screw a man up....

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
About 7 years ago now a original replacement still had the box with it 1920 Diamond T emblem
came up for auction-I stopped bidding at 700.
I paid $600.00 for it...At auction..I had a NOS in the box 68 Shelby shifter knob and it sold for $650.00 so i was OK with it...