• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

diamondtguy

Got my balancer back today.Paint will be dry tomorrow and I will put it on.Hopefully this will solve the problems.I will have to re adjust the sensor as well.Slots are.500 wide and .250 deep.It was done on a rotary head so I know they are bang on 90deg apart.

balancer 002.JPG

Reactions: 075

diamondtguy

That's true...I have only ever owned regular cab 8' box Ford pick-ups but I know the longer trucks ride nicer.My 7.3 4x4 road the worse as it was leaf sprung on all 4 corners.
I put the balancer back on and readjusted the sensor.Minor rework required to get the sensor in deeper but no big deal.I will road test the truck later and see if this solves the problem...

tach sensor 001.JPG

diamondtguy

Took the truck out for a drive today and the tach still doesn't work properly.It actually reads less than the set up I had before.I have contacted Autometer about it.I suspect my crank sensor is bad...

I have found the Blue Grizzly that sold last month.It is now in Burnaby.Turns out new owner is friends with a very good friend of mine.I hope to talk to him next week..

diamondtguy

More off topic....as some of you know I am building a 2.5 million dollar press at work.Its a prototype and I am not allowed to talk about it much..I will just say its going to roll/press 4x8 sheets of steel into something else.I am doing all the fabrication (pretty much done)as well as all the assembly/fitting and I am doing all the hydrolics on it as well.Some of the parts exceed 30,000 lbs..I will pre assemble it at work,take it apart and then ship it to the site where I will reassemble it.I will also look after the machine once it is running.We are doing the feed tables as well.

This is a pic of some wheels I just assembled.I did 35 of them.Thats 70 bearings at roughly $1200 a bearing.Wheels are 12" diam.Outer diam was ground not lathe turned..
thumbnail_IMG_0975.jpg

Pic of motor and gear box base.Top plate is 2" material,base is 13' feet long.There are 2 of them .Each gets a 300HP electric motor..

thumbnail_IMG_0977.jpg

Bumpsteer

Cool project. Always fun to work on something like that.

Know where your at with not talking about it.......just went thru it with my work on the new GM L6 diesel.

Ed

diamondtguy

Yes....I am going to be a good boy and not talk about its intended use.I have worked for the owner of this machine before fixing his previous machines.I haven't built anything this big for over a decade.We used to built sandspreaders and tow trucks for Hercules Equipment..
Hank....the welders were some what hand picked.They did a nice job.I will get a pic on Tuesday of one of the 31,000 lb pc.They took around two weeks to weld up running two shifts a day.
It's a interesting project and I am having fun (and a sore back).

John Shipp

That is a uniform looking run of weld, I'm looking at it on a tiny screen so can't zoom in much but is it several runs of weld stacked up? I'm getting my eyes tested again soon, maybe that'a help.

diamondtguy

I have not taken the Grizzly to work yet but I have put about 125 miles on it.Still trying to sort out the tach.I am about to put the balancer back on for the forth time.Still trying to get the sensor to read the balancer properly.Also waiting for my remote power steering tank.It should be here next week.System still has air in it...

diamondtguy

Just put the truck back together and tach still does not work properly.Autometer wanted me to put four posts on the balancer which is what I originally had.I put keystock in my machined slots and created four .250 high posts...Back to Autometers engineers I go....Hopefully its just a case of putting a new sensor on...balancer 001.JPG balancer 002.JPG

diamondtguy

Have not heard back from Autometer about my tach so I guess I will have to buy a new sensor and just hope for the best.
I finally got my adjustable rear shocks and my power steering tank...I have the day off tomorrow and will start on these pcs.

grizzly 001.JPG

diamondtguy

Made a bracket and put the tank in nice and high...I need to get some more fluid before I fire it...I double checked the lid and it is vented..
Now to do the rear shocks...
A friend told me today he has heard of people having to pull vacuum on the hydra boost to bleed all the air out.Someone has all ready suggested putting some air pressure to it...Hopefully this works...I do have air here and I do have a vacuum pump if it gets to that.

power steering 004.JPG power steering 005.JPG

diamondtguy

I put the new Ranch RS9000's in today.These are gas filled and have 9 adjustments.I also had to deal with the vented cap on the power steering pump.Pretty sure it would have puked fluid out when I filled the new reservoir.I have sealed it up and will fill the system tomorrow.

grizzly 001.JPG grizzly 003.JPG

diamondtguy

Fired the truck up today and it puked half the tank out right away.I ran it for a while but the steering struggled and stepping on the brakes made the pump moan...After dinner I jacked up the front and had Mary turn the wheels lock to lock and step on the brakes(for about 10 minutes).Steering seemed ok but the pump was moaning when the brakes were applied..I took it for a drive and the p/s is hit and miss.It works when it wants to.I have almost no brakes...It is just getting worse..
Tomorrow I will drain it and pull the valve out of the bottom of the pump.I had it out before and found a big hunk of shite in it so maybe there is more..I suspect my pump is dying.I think it is a Saginaw..