• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grey Market Hitachi

Wardiker

dont buy a grey market excavator they have more problems then its worth

Not my experience at all, 1991 EX60, bought 2 years ago paid for its self in the 1st year, have been able to fix any problems and find parts for everything.

captain charlie

Not even sure the age of the one i have, but it's a runner. They all need parts and repairs. What kind of problems are you finding hiluxman? Worst one i have run across is crap in the banjo screen. Nissan is a brand name should be no problem sourcing parts.

captain charlie

Abdul you think you could take a few pictures and share them? I think everybody who has machines like these are experiencing the same thing. The air box in the compartment is not such a good location. When i added the vent on the side it reduced the temperture big time.

abdul k

Charlie,
Certainly, I will take some photographs and post them on this site. Compared to where the temperature gauge used to run before, now the needle does not even get to the half way mark or above made a heck of a difference.
Abdul.
Abdul you think you could take a few pictures and share them? I think everybody who has machines like these are experiencing the same thing. The air box in the compartment is not such a good location. When i added the vent on the side it reduced the temperture big time.

abdul k

P5171135.JPGP5171143.JPGP5171137.JPGP5171133.JPGP5171136.JPG

Charlie here are some photographs of the automotive style aftercooler on my EX50URG that I installed. This was put together in a hurry as you can see, but it works well never the less. One could make it more efficient by installing a 9" sucker fan on top of the aftercooler I guess.

Abdul.

Charlie,
Certainly, I will take some photographs and post them on this site. Compared to where the temperature gauge used to run before, now the needle does not even get to the half way mark or above made a heck of a difference.
Abdul.

captain charlie

Hi Abul, that looks really interesting, so you just bolted it on to ports that were blanked off. I haven't even looked at the engine much but i think this looks like a good idea. Not to sure if you even need a fan on top. Going to have to go to the junk yard and look for an aftercooler. So when your running a turbo on that block do you have a bigger pump on the back of it? Thanks for the pictues.

abdul k

Hey Captain,
I am not sure what you mean by the ports that were blanked off. I believe what you said is true, you don't really need a fan unless you were working the machine out in the desert somewhere!. This AD1 Isuzu comes with a STD turbo but with an air box instead of an aftercooler. I do not think there is a bigger pump installed in this machine, but I do know it has what looks like an implement pump installed "after" to drive a hammer etc, someone has moved the counter weight 8'' further back to accomodate this implement pump.
I can give you a hand to install an aftercooler like I have in your machine but not as a rough set up as mine !. I am on the south side of Brisbane, North Maclean, if you want to have a better look at my machine set-up. My machine has seen better days though, but it works never the less, good enough to scrape around in the back yard I guess.
Thanks Abdul.

Hi Abul, that looks really interesting, so you just bolted it on to ports that were blanked off. I haven't even looked at the engine much but i think this looks like a good idea. Not to sure if you even need a fan on top. Going to have to go to the junk yard and look for an aftercooler. So when your running a turbo on that block do you have a bigger pump on the back of it? Thanks for the pictues.

have an ex100 that someone left the roof hatch open and cab filled with snow.now engine wont rev up.keypad or processor is bad i presume.i dont have a manual or shematics to diagnose,any advice or schematics would be appreciated.
if i could retrofit in a manual control or advance throttle with switches it would be less costly than calling a dealer and having a tech diagnosing,as mileage is a killer when they usually make two trips.

cutting edge

have an ex100 that someone left the roof hatch open and cab filled with snow.now engine wont rev up.keypad or processor is bad i presume.i dont have a manual or shematics to diagnose,any advice or schematics would be appreciated.
if i could retrofit in a manual control or advance throttle with switches it would be less costly than calling a dealer and having a tech diagnosing,as mileage is a killer when they usually make two trips.
what series is it (-1,-2,-3)

I'd start by checking fuses for corrosion and let us know what does work/light up etc.

cutting edge

The only real problem Ive had with grey machines (hitachi) is swing boxes and motors,travelboxes and motors and wiring harness connectors not being what they should be.

I also worked on a grey ex600 that had a motor that I couldnt find parts for in north america....that was fun.

captain charlie

Hey Abdul I’d love to come over for a barby and beers but I’m on the wrong side of the planet. You thinking of sunshine coast, but you’re not thinking west coast of British Columbia now are ya. Tad bit of travel time involved but not that i wouldn't like to though, thanks for the invite anyways. I was trying to figure out where the after cooler hooks up to on the engine but probably only the 3AD1 model has the ports. You have the 3AD1 where most of these machines come with the 3AB1 engines, first time i heard of a turbo model. They don't recommend using jack hammers on these booms if they articulate. Do you have a thumb on your stick?

i got over to the machine,found every connector i could see,relays and fuses,unplugged everything and checked for corrosion and moisture,dried out whatever i found that was wet,i am starting to suspect its the keypad/engine control panel to the right of the seat.its stuck on the p setting and anything we do wont make it change.all other functions seem to work.

its an ex1006-2.
thanks again for your help.

rgl726

Dr zx is the easy way to detect the problem. Do not do anything stupid it will worsen your problem.

i take it the Dr XZ is a diagnostic scan too,i have been using them in the automotive industry since the early 90's and found them very useful until bad circuits knock out a processor,then its useless .90% of computer diagnosis is testing circuits reading wiring diagrams.the more i research and dig into this machine,the more i wanna go with mechanical throttle control linkage.simple, reliable and foolproof.i am also securing the roof hatch so it cant be left open again.

abdul k

Beer and BBQ !

Captain,
That is funny, I did not realise that you are on the other side of the world, if you ever do come to Brisbane, you are quite welcome for a beer and barby any time!.
That is what it is all about I guess!.

Yes, a lot of folks out there have never heard of an EX50 URG with a turbo engine!.

The are two wiggins coupling at the front of the stick, I gather these were used for hammers etc by the previous owner, I can see why the shims from under the articulated joints has been spat out partially, it was probably due to the hammer attachment!. I cannot see a thumb, not sure how it was operated if it ever was.
My machine has seen better days, even though it has 5000 hours on the clock, I am not sure what is an average life of such a machine ?.

If your machine does not have a turbo engine, I guess you will not need an aftercooler, as NA engines do not produce much heat I guess, you would be better of with an electric fan in front of the HYD oil cooler, that will help a lot.
If someone is having over heating problems, I would be checking the thermostats, timing, coolant condition, size of the fan, valve lash, etc ....even air flow inside the engine compartment.

Abdul.

Hey Abdul I’d love to come over for a barby and beers but I’m on the wrong side of the planet. You thinking of sunshine coast, but you’re not thinking west coast of British Columbia now are ya. Tad bit of travel time involved but not that i wouldn't like to though, thanks for the invite anyways. I was trying to figure out where the after cooler hooks up to on the engine but probably only the 3AD1 model has the ports. You have the 3AD1 where most of these machines come with the 3AB1 engines, first time i heard of a turbo model. They don't recommend using jack hammers on these booms if they articulate. Do you have a thumb on your stick?

rgl726

i take it the Dr XZ is a diagnostic scan too,i have been using them in the automotive industry since the early 90's and found them very useful until bad circuits knock out a processor,then its useless .90% of computer diagnosis is testing circuits reading wiring diagrams.the more i research and dig into this machine,the more i wanna go with mechanical throttle control linkage.simple, reliable and foolproof.i am also securing the roof hatch so it cant be left open again.

yes you are correct. but all old mechanical machine will soon dry up. i think we dont have a choice sooner or later.

rgl726

By the way engine throttle is not a problem in this machine. Its the hydraulic system. The hydraulic components of this machine is design to work with a computer. So good luck if you wanna try to experiment.

well,went the mechanical route,used a marine throttle cable,built a throttle comtrol with adjustable idle stop and max rpm stop.just curious,what is the max rpm an ex 1006-2 should rev?