• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grey market excavators

Wawrecker

I have heard Komatsu and Hitachi are ok for parts and service from your dealer but to run from Cat and Kobelco.

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
We've had good luck getting parts for both GM cat and hitachi. When ever we think about buying a machine, we call the dealer with the serial # and have them check to see if they have it listed in thier books. Saves some headaches.

humboldt deere

Occupation
general building and engineering contractor
I had a GM kubota kx-91 equal and the serial # did nothing to help get parts. some parts fit perfect, some could be modified, and others just would not work. I would research very carefully before getting any other GM machinery.

312King

we own two three 312s one gray market one American. Every time we have had to get parts we have not had a problem. I wouldnt question buying another gray market machine again. Best machine we have ever owned. I dont no how true it is the when we bought 1997 gray market 312 they told us that cat builds both the machines in japan and the they just have two diffrent assmbly lines and stamp two diffrent assmbly numbers. But then again who knows how true that its.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
grey market

we own two three 312s one gray market one American. Every time we have had to get parts we have not had a problem. I wouldnt question buying another gray market machine again. Best machine we have ever owned. I dont no how true it is the when we bought 1997 gray market 312 they told us that cat builds both the machines in japan and the they just have two diffrent assmbly lines and stamp two diffrent assmbly numbers. But then again who knows how true that its.

I agree, as I stated before, I have a GM Cat 320, and havent had any problems with parts. As I was told my Cat, the only difference in the machines, are the safety devices. The US requires special safety thingeees.

sanyguy

Occupation
excavator operator
when buying a grey market machine is there problums getting them fixed by local dealers

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
grey market

when buying a grey market machine is there problums getting them fixed by local dealers

Not that Im aware of, they dont mind taking that $100 and hour, for anything.
I would say, the only draw back about a grey market machine, that Ive found is, the questions being asked here. I would have asked the same questions, before I bought my GM Cat 320L, but I wasnt told it was a GM machine. I should have called Cat, with the serial number. Now if they Had told me, that it was a GM machine, I still would have bought it. Besides, replacing the A/C system and radiator, thats all the problems Ive had, in 2 1/2 years and the machine had 10,000 hrs on it when I got it.
Good Luck

harmon

Parts

I have a Kobelco which I recently found out is grey market. I am having a heck of time finding replacement track for it.

Does anyone know of a supplier I might contact

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Track

If you can get me the model and sn # also the number of links in the tracks I may be able to help and pad size

harmon

Track

Pads are 20 inch wide there are 44 links now but some could have been removed.

Its a 120 Superversion and the vin is LP- 11251

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
Grey market machines are a gamble, pretty much that simple. You can save 15-40% on a purchase, however John Deere/Hitachi does not support these machines. Of course their are some dealers who will still assist these customers, but that doesn't warranty any favorable outcome.

In the past 10years I have worked on countless grey market excavators, some are very similar to the U.S. versions and then some are not. We have had problems with rotary manifolds being different, control valves, pumps, motors, engines, cylinder kits, rollers, so you never know. I have seen countless customers pulling their hair out, trying to get the right part. The customer may pay $50K for a $80K machine, but when a $500 part fails the "sweet deal" become not so sweet. Essentiallly rendering that machine worthless, it has to go back to the auction and the customer has to cross their fingers.

Personally I don't have the nerve for that gamble, of course there is the exception. You could buy a grey have it for a few years not have any real failures that you can't fix and all is well. I give it 50/50 at best, that's roulette odds as far as I am concerned.

I guess the question is: Are you in a position to be able to cover the possible loss if this machine fails. I would not make a grey market my top production machine, more like a backup or a secondary project machine.

skip

that's what i was told by a cat man

i wound up getting a pretty good deal on a mitsubishi, but if i was forced into buying a grey market machine, i would have checked availability of parts before i bought it. i did check on a few and did find some sources on the internet.
skip

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Skip!:drinkup

skip

thanks,
joined to see if anyone could help me with my problem with my mitsubishi mx 45. everything works but the joy stick controles. makes it a bit difficult to operate. lol
i 1st thought it might be the safety lever but when i bypassed it, they still didn't work. anyone have any ideas? also could use a wiring schematic. this is my 1st machine and already got a problem !! would appreciate any input
skip

hold

I've owned several GM machines.
ranging from a cat 307 mitsu 120 cast 311 and currently a cat 313.

Here are some tips Ive learned when purchasing gm equipment or any used equipment for that matter:

First of all DO NOT buy any brand x machine. Stick with the names you know.
As in Cat , Hitachi, Komatsu . The reason for this is parts supply. At some point you will have a breakdown and are going to need parts.You are much more likely to be able to find what you need from a major dealer. You might pay more when you purchase the machine but all it takes is spending 2 weeks down or more to make up for it trust me.

Once you find a machine you want call the local dealer and have them send out a mechanic and go over the machine. It's going to cost you $1,000 or so but they will check the % on the final drives , check for metal particulates in all the oils, as well as be able to assess the over all quality and life of the machine. Most importantly they will pull the serial #'s off the machine and make sure they all match manufacturers data base.

As an example when I was looking for the 313 I was close to making a deal with a guy in florida. I had the local cat dealer come out and what was supposed to be a 2005 machine with 500 hrs ended up being a 2003 machine with 3000 hrs with a serial plate on the machine from a 2000 315 not 313.
Cost me a grand but saved me a ton in the long run.

Ive never had a problem getting parts for the several machines Ive had.

Spanrz

Occupation
Diesel Fitter
Hi, first post for this forum.
I am experienced in CAT Grey Iron. Dealt with C's and D series grey iron stuff.
Have also had a lot of dealings with 308BSR, 308BCR, 313BSR and compatible stuff.

The C series and D series grey iron do differ a lot, but mainly in wiring, slight engine parts, some pumps and hydraulic parts are different and most of all, the arrangent of the tractor is different to that sold and serviced in known Cat territory outside of Japan.

These machines are "only" made for the Japanese market, that can source parts directly from their own parts marketing.
This is why there is problems when sourcing parts outside of Japan.

The only advice I can give, is to ask to for the English Parts / Operation books for the equivilent machines in your territory.
You will have to use a serial number prefix that is usually found in your territory, as the Japanese Serial numbers don't have an equivilent to Overseas areas.

You can buy the Japanese Parts Books, but it is very difficult to find some machines though. You then have to use an English book and the Japanese book together and make sure the parts you want, don't differ.
Some things that are "japanese market" only, usually a locally ordered equivilent will sometimes do (eg lights, mirrors, seats, hydraulics hoses, some filters etc etc)

A lot of people complain that "I can't find parts", but no one looks outside the box. Use what you can off an equivilent model numbered machine from your territory area. (keep an open mind)
Fortunately, some D series excavators, Cat are only just supporting the Grey Iron now (as in the last few weeks/months). Very slow on the uptake, but that's what you get.

worm

We have a Komatsu PC100 gray market machine with swamp tracks and 7 tooth sprocket which needs replacing am trying to match 21 t sprocket and the closest thing i find in US is the PC 200 sprocket Could the 100 be mounted on 200 roller frame?

Iron Horse

thanks,
joined to see if anyone could help me with my problem with my mitsubishi mx 45. everything works but the joy stick controles. makes it a bit difficult to operate. lol
i 1st thought it might be the safety lever but when i bypassed it, they still didn't work. anyone have any ideas? also could use a wiring schematic. this is my 1st machine and already got a problem !! would appreciate any input
skip

Does it have a depth computor ? If so it will need to be manualy reset as it will deactivate the joysticks . Also look for damaged/disconected wires on the boom sensors .

finaldrive

Occupation
Business Owner
Pads are 20 inch wide there are 44 links now but some could have been removed.

Its a 120 Superversion and the vin is LP- 11251

FYI, it is the same track as the Kobelco SK115DZ IV, SK120LC-III, SK120LC-IV and SK130LC-IV, the only difference is the amount of links.