• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grapple Rake

RonL

I have a Cat 416C IT. Before Spring I want to equip it with a grapple rake. Anyone have experience and advice?

RonL

DualsportWA

RonL- do you already have aux hydraulics up front? (from a 4-1 bucket, etc). I'm interested in what you decide to do hear. Have you looked at Skid-Steer quick attach mounts? I'm thinking about getting a pin-on skid steer mount for my Case 580K, and swapping between proper forks on a cage, a snow plow, and a 1-yard front bucket.

This is what I found:
http://www.hayspear.com/product/QA_...-580K-CASE-to-skidsteer-Quick-Attach-580.html

I'm wondering if you could find something like that for the 416C IT- then you could use a skid steer grapple rake attachment and change quickly between your bucket and grapple.

RonL

IT stands for integrated tool carrier. The machine is already equipped with it's own quick attach system and hydraulics. The skid steer universal quick attach is rated for 4000 pounds, I believe. Substantially less than the machine capabilities.

Several companies advertise grapple rakes for backhoes. I was interested in seeing if anyone had experience with any of the particular rakes and the companies that sell them.

I think that if you are looking for a quick attach system for your 580K you might want something more substantial than the skid steer quick attach.

RonL

mitch504

I have owned and made a living with a 580K (ph3)for about 15 years. It weighs 16,000 + lbs, and will push through a 25 ton load of gravel dropped in one pile. It will pick and carry an 11,600 lb section of 72" concrete pipe if it's rigged behind the loader bucket; it won't lift it very high, but it will carry it clear of the ground. I don't know of a skidsteer that will come close to either of those tasks.

One moment of inattention and a skidsteer attachment will be expensive scrap.

LMST

Occupation
Tax Prep.
I have fitted a 72 inch grapple to a JCB 214, with custom mounts that start at the 4 pins for the loader bucket and adapt to a quick-tach style universal skid steer plate.
With it, I do fence row clean clean-up, storm damage, scrap metal loading,and logging. Just moved some 30 inch by 10 foot white oak onto a woodmizer mill. It was a Wildcat brand, not the most expensive $1200. new at auction. There years latter, I would never want to be with out this set-up. I go slow, stay at idle when into the big stuff and try to keep the load and stress even across the fork. To date, some of the teeth are not perfectly straight, and one weld on the clamp looks stressed, but for the work it has done, I am very happy. I have some good pictures of huge piles of multi-flura rose being dumped onto a fire. I did add some HD grating to the opening in line with the tractor radiator. Once while pushing up fence rails, one went thru the fork, thru the grill, and over the radiator/ oil cooler and pushed the hood open from underneith, my lucky day, it missed the copper and went over the top of the radiator.-L