• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grapple Bucket pops off 2013 299D

Jeffrey Bandel

5 months ago my grapple bucket was coming off. I took the rosebud to the bottom of the bucket and heated/hammered back to square. It hasn't come off until today. The work I did looks good.

When I have the bucket tilted slightly down and push down on the front it pops right off the quick attach. I spilled some hydraulic oil on it and that's when it started. I know that's not the problem, it's only exasperating it. Here are some pics. Any ideas?

Tyler d4c

If it's tight fitting of the coupler then the pins are pushing up to far means there wear or something damaged on the locking mechanism. I'd nearly bet money the grapple is loose on the hitch.

John V

How's the taper on your wedge pin look? Should be a nice flat slope. Yours looks pretty worn where it engages the attachment. Also check where the wedge pin hits the attachment. I just finished welding up that spot on a bucket that was missing a good 1/2" of material there from wear & tear.

Jeffrey Bandel

How's the taper on your wedge pin look? Should be a nice flat slope. Yours looks pretty worn where it engages the attachment. Also check where the wedge pin hits the attachment. I just finished welding up that spot on a bucket that was missing a good 1/2" of material there from wear & tear.
I'm not sure how it looks relative to a new one. I've been using the hell out of my stump bucket lately and it never comes off.

John V

OK. My lock down levers I can lock down with a finger. They are very well greased but maybe not enough spring pressure?
Should probably need more than finger pressure. It’s kinda annoying that your mechanism parts are buried in the frame of the quick attach. Might have to take the quick attach off to get a good look at the springs in there. Should be two springs, one for pretensioning the handle so it doesn’t automatically lower itself when you have thing detached, and another bigger spring that keeps tension on the wedge pin.

Jeffrey Bandel

I measured this distance on my stump bucket and it was around 15 inches. My grapple is 16 inches. This pictures shows the bottom of the grapple bucket.

Attachments

• 17128359428371705118111395237636.jpg
    17128359428371705118111395237636.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9