• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader wheel hop

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I can angle it left and right this plow works great in snow and drifts under 4ft deep anything deeper I put my v plow on use that to get road open then switch back to my reversible.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Do you guys really use the casters? If so, what sort of maintenance does that take?
Yes we do the first plow like this we order with skid shoes and we couldn’t get more the two storms on them rebuilding shoes got old in a hurry so we went with the wheels on my new plow for my new 150 never tried the wheels yet so will report back and let everyone know how they work.

layinpipe93

Yes we do the first plow like this we order with skid shoes and we couldn’t get more the two storms on them rebuilding shoes got old in a hurry so we went with the wheels on my new plow for my new 150 never tried the wheels yet so will report back and let everyone know how they work.
Our wheels have a red poly surface molded around the steel. Falls told us to operate in float. Had nothing but trouble. Poly gets chewed up and flies apart. Or welds break. Really frustrating. So I can't run with the front plow on the wheels anymore, otherwise I would try to plow like you said.

Welder Dave

The truck plows here use casters but they look like the wheels are steel. Not sure if sealed bearings would work in that application or if they need frequent greasing.

layinpipe93

The truck plows here use casters but they look like the wheels are steel. Not sure if sealed bearings would work in that application or if they need frequent greasing.
The falls caster wheels don't require much grease because they don't even survive between the intervals! Would love to hear other's experience with them. All the neighboring townships have the same wheels, and also the same problems.

Jonas302

The wheels and rubber on the tire hold up quite well very heavy duty on the SWS wheels that Cat 140m shows they have tapered wheel bearings no need for often greasing

Main complaint is the lack of adjusting stroke only 3 inches of stroke we use 8 inch tall cutting edges wear them down to 2.5-3 inches so You have to unbolt the wheel assembly and move bolt holes not the end of the world unless your exhausted with do much to do and still have to go move those 100 pound casters wheels....

Best setup I have them on I have a tilting moldboard the spring loaded bars are replaced with hyd cylinders roll the plow ahead and the cutting edge in on the blacktop roll it back and you turn down the gravel and and adjust on the fly Carbide edges so it doesnt have to stroke problem as the cutting edge height doesnt change

By the way we always remove and springs and put solid bars in if a plow flips forward on soft gravel it rolls your cutting edge deeper and more aggressive things get crazy if you plowing with manholes and such you need the trip springs the trip edge plows work better for that though

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
The wheels and rubber on the tire hold up quite well very heavy duty on the SWS wheels that Cat 140m shows they have tapered wheel bearings no need for often greasing

Main complaint is the lack of adjusting stroke only 3 inches of stroke we use 8 inch tall cutting edges wear them down to 2.5-3 inches so You have to unbolt the wheel assembly and move bolt holes not the end of the world unless your exhausted with do much to do and still have to go move those 100 pound casters wheels....

Best setup I have them on I have a tilting moldboard the spring loaded bars are replaced with hyd cylinders roll the plow ahead and the cutting edge in on the blacktop roll it back and you turn down the gravel and and adjust on the fly Carbide edges so it doesnt have to stroke problem as the cutting edge height doesnt change

By the way we always remove and springs and put solid bars in if a plow flips forward on soft gravel it rolls your cutting edge deeper and more aggressive things get crazy if you plowing with manholes and such you need the trip springs the trip edge plows work better for that though
That’s good to hear and I’m glad you replaced your springs on your plow I’d like to do the same we just had a storm with lots of hard packed wind driven snow and was having trouble with springs tripping and letting cutting edge dig in was a bear to handle having solid bars would be way better.