• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader Joysticks V Lever Control

merbston23

For a manufacturer , to disregard , complaints, dissatisfaction with their product, is just another reason for people, to switch brands or products.

Agreed, but people can only fix one problem at a time and the "squeaky wheel gets the grease". Deere, Cat, Volvo, GM, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford all fix the 'big' problems before they fix the small ones. People take feedback, but if 90% of the complaints are about one problem, the people with the other 10% will eventually be fixed, but it'll be after the 90%.

That's where your losing it, they got to be trained to run $$$$$$$ EXPENSIVE equipment. The more sophisticated it gets the more training required.

Yes, they have to be trained. But with simpler controls the time to train can be reduced. The current generation has grown up with Xboxes and Nintendos, the time to learn the muscle memory of a 14M over a 14H is probably much less.

Cheap labor is what the anti union and big busines wants. They want to trod upon the worker for their profits. In the same token I have no respect for the Executives given Parachute Bonus's for corporate failure

Ever think it's an American greed thing? Toyota's CEO only makes 900k. In fact the top 12 executives at Toyota collectively make ~$10M. GM's CEO alone made more. Toyota, Honda, BMW and Benz USA plants are all Non-Union. GM, Fords and Chrysler's all are not.

A skilled work force is much more productive than an unskilled work force.

Agreed. I never said it wasn't. With the 14M training time can be reduced because it is simpler to operate for people who have never used a heavy machine before.

Say Congress decides to re-implement the WPA. Obama says we are going to build rail service to every major town in the USA.

There are 2 companies bidding to do the job. This project is so large both companies anticipate that they will need 1,000 new operators. Company A has 14H, Company B has 14M. Time to train the people to be expert operators on the 14M will take half the amount of time as the H. Which company will get the bid and the project done first?

The price of heavy equipment keeps creeping up ,up, and up. This new technology has not brought the price down ! Pretty soon you will price your self out of the market place.

Factor in inflation. When first released in the United States the Porsche 911 base model cost $35k. When the Model T was first released it cost $850. You can't pick up a good used car for $850. Somehow Porsche and Ford haven't priced themselves out of the market.

People still need jobs. The notion of robotic heavy equipment machines replacing.

Just like unemployment skyrocketed when typewriter repairmen, milkmen, and carriage drivers were put out of work. My dad used to make slides for a large company. His sole job was to make slides for presentations. Putting together a presentation could take weeks because he had to get everything just right. Power point made that position obsolete. But he still has a job, just doing something else. People used to spend years in college to learn to be an expert drafter, now engineers make their own parts with CAD.

Fatigue ? Physical conditioning ? I think most operators are physically fit. Not bothered by working long hrs.6/10's, 7/10's and longer steady, The entire season. Yes construction work is tough , demanding. No place for,weaklings, wuss's ! Just like the NFL Football teams, the military, etc,etc, only the best survive.

Exactly my point "Only the best survive". If a company with 14Ms can ensure that it has a lower turnover rate because of those creature comforts, they have a distinct advantage. If a company can hire only weaklings and wusses, they have a distinct advantage.

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
NO ONE should be on a motor grader if they've never been on a machine before

Haul-Pak

Digital Pulse Width Signal

Pulse width modulation is actually an analog signal. It's actually the best way to control an analog motor with a digital out.

Quote:
How much parts support will the factory give to today's cutting edge technology as it becomes outdated

I don't know a single person in supply chain, but when I toured Morton I was told that we just recently stopped supporting parts for machines built in the 40s. I also thought that was part of the Cat advantage. Cat Logistics is so good that other companies hire them to do logistics for their company. I don't know what is going to happen but I can guess that we'd have a few pissed off customers if we just stopped supporting a platform.

Quote:
Home PC's becoming outdated .. Same technology as a new machine just Slower.

Industrial PCs are completely different than what you can go buy at Best Buy. Cat's ECMs run at a blistering 40 Mhz and have a massive 2MB of ram. http://www.cat.com/cda/files/658096/...M3.8.29.07.pdf

Quote:
The tree hugger's expect very little pollution from a 85 ltr engine ??

85L? That's... massive. If you don't like EPA regulations, e-mail or write a letter to your Congressman. We don't make the law, we just follow it.

Yeah you got me on the PWS, Just an example by me.. It's used to control the FCV on the New C175. Cannot remember the Name of CAT's Older siginal system.

40 Mhz .. 50 Mhz etc .. It's still the same. 2mb of RAM? MB??

I am No Computer Tech or Electronic's Expert but I know the basic's. It all works on the same basic principal's ... Until they they Find Megatron in the ICE we are stuck with one's and zero's :D

As for the EPA?? Ha Ha Ha Never bothered me how much pollution engine's pump out. 85ltr .. I was just saying how the 3500 is going because of the pollution.

merbston23

Yeah you got me on the PWS, Just an example by me.. It's used to control the FCV on the New C175. Cannot remember the Name of CAT's Older siginal system.

PWM is used to control A LOT of things. Wiki Link.

That's it. By comparison your home computer most likely has at least a 1000
Mhz processor and some come today with 2000MB of ram. 2MB is just a bit larger than a floppy disk.

I was just saying how the 3500 is going because of the pollution.

Got a source for that? I haven't seen anything in the news.

NO ONE should be on a motor grader if they've never been on a machine before

I will go with Grader4Me on this one. I had only run a few skid steers before my training course. We spent a good portion of the beginning of the class on safety. (Including the awesome Shaking Hands with Danger series).

And then we had no more than 5 minutes of instruction per machine. How to start it, basic implements and controls and we were set loose.

The MG had to have been one of my Top 3 favorite vehicles. The D8 was fun just because it's a beast. The off highway trucks a bit boring because they don't do much. But hitting 40 MPH in one of those definitely gets your blood pumping. The best was getting it up to top speed, locking the brakes up and turning at the same time. I use the handbrake in my Jetta in the snow, but nothing compares to bringing the rear end of something that big around.

Haul-Pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul-Pak

PWM is used to control A LOT of things. Wiki Link.

Quote:

That's it. By comparison your home computer most likely has at least a 1000
Mhz processor and some come today with 2000MB of ram. 2MB is just a bit larger than a floppy disk.

Quote:
I was just saying how the 3500 is going because of the pollution.

Got a source for that? I haven't seen anything in the news.

PWS is used for many a thing on the new CAT machine's .. Ive found this out working in the field and not from WiKi. The Info in the Wiki link dont mean much, Iam no Electronic's expert, I just plug my computer in and read the number's ...

40mhz or 1000mhz .. It's still the same. Again: 2Mb of RAM or 2G or RAM ... Still RAM. The Grader doent need 100MB of RAM. Same with ROM or PROM, Only need's enough to store Parameter's.

Unless you plan on playing world of war craft while grading then you only need what's required.

Regarding the 3500 Phase out! Na I didnt get that Info off the interent, That's just the word that's going around .. They are replacing the 3500 unit's with the ACERT powerplant's .. (Well that was the plan)

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Reply to Thread: I'm going to... cause it's a good one.

Good comments and discussion.
I'm with OCR, I'd be very sad if graders went back to the "good ole days".
And for my first reply... I will quote ovrszd, because he agreed with me... :thumbsup... :)

I think that would be fitting and proper... ;)... :)

That's all from me for now, ... but please keep this thread alive and well.

It contains some of the best dialog and discussion... from all the posting members... that I've read on this forum for awhile.

It's all very pertinent to the general industry as a whole... good job.

OCR... :)

Last edited:

G Model

Occupation
salesman
Graders are never going to go back to the good old days ( thank goodness ). Emissions are driving a good majority of this stuff. When you have the ability with these new fuel systems it take to meet emissions, to tell the transmission what kind of load the engine has on it, so it can adjust the shift accordingly, so your not slipping a clutch pack, by engaging it too slowly, or too fast, wringing the operators neck, it make sense to take advantage of it. If you can reduce the numer of wires or number of relays on a switch panel by some 90% using solid state technoligy and give the technician a way to diagnose all these components from the monitor, Check pressures without ever installing a guage, check injectors without ever pulling out a wrench, Im not sure many technicians would want to go back. The problem is sometimes they dont get it right in the design, sometimes they go with the wrong supplier, ( suppliers can kill you ) I dont think it is the technology that is bad. If Cars went back to the good old days we would be tuning them up every 25- 30 thousand miles, I personally dont want to go back to there. I can see why some would want to go back a few years because the brands they like or run there best days probably were behind them but for the brand I make my living off of I believe they are definitly making the best equipment they have ever made.

Grader4me

In the future

Mades a person wonder...just how far this high tech stuff is going to take us. Jump on your machine, program the on board computer, lay back and let it go to work. We are darn near there now with GPS, Laser etc.

The old eyeball and seat of your pants expertise is slowly or should I say quickly fading away. The old way of operating a grader is that you had to think about what you was doing. You had to have a picture in your mind as to what your finished product is going to look like. You made it happen because of your skills.

In the not to distant future you won't need any of these skills. If you can steer a grader, then you're all set. Everything else will be done for you. Eventually more remote control graders..operator won't even have to be in the machine

Probably the operators of the future will be looking back in history and saying something like this "Could you just imagine having to manually operate one of those things?? Must have been hellish!) :D

Last edited:

Engineer4255

Grader4Me, I agree with you. But, this technology has been slowly coming for years. A company I worked for 20years ago had a CMI grader that ran off of a stringline in the same way that curb machines today, and the CMI roadway pavers did in the past. All the operator had to do was steer. Everyone thought that would be the death of the grader operator, "any moron can keep it between the string". And this grader was an early 70's or late 60's model if I remember correctly. Hell, my operators felt fancy with the sonics we had on our 14G's. Made fine grading the shoulders after PCC pavement placement a breeze. You could lock both blade controls on auto, and just keep the moldboard along the edge of the pcc pavement. Although I did have one operator who would just read the slope percentage readout and adjust the controls himself, said it keep him feeling like he was actually doing the grading himself, instead of letting the "box" do the work. Now GPS has become the norm, and though I have yet to run a GPS machine, I am told that you insert the disk in the morning, eject it at night, and other than that you just have to steer, and on some not even that other than to get the machine to the work area. I love graders, have run a 1949 14 up to the H's. I rarely get the chance to get on a machine anymore, too much paperwork to do and time spent driving from job to job. But I guess I'm old fashioned. I would crawl back in the 12E with a ripper I ran ALMOST as fast as I would the 12G. I understand the newer models have more creature comforts, and I can understand why. But, I think the operator should have some feel of what he is doing, ie lever feed back, the knowledge that its hot out and hasnt rained in days, so the material hes working will react differently as he moves it. Hell, my father's going to be 80 this year, still running his own 12G, and has a pretty strong belief that the stages of the moon effect the workability of dirt, sometimes the same material moves easier, flows better off the moldboard, and nits together better. And I agree with him. I would find it hard to believe that the "quicker trained" operators would be able to fathom or notice the differences. They are just following the image on the screen.

Grader4me

Great post Engineer4255, and thanks for the bit of history.

Hell, my father's going to be 80 this year, still running his own 12G, and has a pretty strong belief that the stages of the moon effect the workability of dirt, sometimes the same material moves easier, flows better off the moldboard, and nits together better. And I agree with him.

Lol..Your Dad is a smart man! These types of operators will never have their boots filled...

Northart

The MooN ?

Hello Merbston23,

The moon definetly affect crops and animal husbandry !

Planting potatos by the moon, is in the Farmers Almanac.

Back to ........ Risk analysis factor , putting semi developed products on the marketplace, to beat the competition , is not unheard of.

The 14% failure rate in home mortgages , has been exceeded and lead to the delinquency of foreclosures ! And its chaos in the market.

So now ?? manufacturing is following suit , betting ( Gambling ) it can beat the problems , for dominance ! LOL :)

History will tell !

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I think the point might be that Joysticks are more readily adapted to by new comers...they still have to learn all the tricks of the trade, thats never going to change. If they can pick up the basic controls quicker than a bunch of levers then thats great. It doesn't necassarily mean they will know what to do with them and when to do it.

Case in point is my nephew who has been operating my mini-ex and Cat skid steer for 2 years now. At the start I put him in the skid. He was shifting dirt around with ease (joysticks) within minutes.....two years later now and I still think he has a lot to learn but the point is he learned to do the basics in about the quarter of the time it took me to learn 4 sticks and Yankem sticks with foot controls etc. Joysticks don't a good operator make......but they can be hell easier to use.

Hey Northart, give a man a break...I'm not sure where Merbston said he was the director of product Development at Cat!.

merbston23

I think the point might be that Joysticks are more readily adapted to by new comers...they still have to learn all the tricks of the trade, thats never going to change. If they can pick up the basic controls quicker than a bunch of levers then thats great. It doesn't necassarily mean they will know what to do with them and when to do it.

Exactly what I've been saying since the beginning.

Planting potatos by the moon, is in the Farmers Almanac.

Back to ........ Risk analysis factor , putting semi developed products on the marketplace, to beat the competition , is not unheard of.

The 14% failure rate in home mortgages , has been exceeded and lead to the delinquency of foreclosures ! And its chaos in the market.

So now ?? manufacturing is following suit , betting ( Gambling ) it can beat the problems , for dominance ! LOL :)

Usually I 'read aloud' in my head. I can't help but think that you are none other than William Shatner.

Hey Northart, give a man a break...I'm not sure where Merbston said he was the director of product Development at Cat!.

Ssshhhh. Don't let it get out, I'm Mr. Owens.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Slow Response; High Winds crashed our disc.

A wealth of good information and many great points made. In regards to my own comments I believe G Model summed it up best, it’ll be 5-10 years before the jury comes back on this one. In regards to the HiDrive; Caterpillar let the patent lapse just a short time ago, it was protected and still is under another patent involving the transmission if memory serves me right. We can discuss in another thread.

Richard/Ovrsd is also correct, these machines are mass produced and the market is THE major factor in how they’re designed and manufactured. If all I did was finish crushed rock for a paving crew with our 160H; I could get away with 2 gears, a 4 cylinder engine and a set of blade beams that were 10mm thick. I personally know contractors who use their graders for just that; finishing crushed rock and nothing else. They don’t believe in roading motor graders, they load it on a lowboy and haul it. Then on the other hand there’s our 160H & 14H. Neither machine had ever seen one ounce of dirt until we bought them. Both were governmental snow removal machines and were on guaranteed buy back programs. There was still some paint on the front of the moldboard of our 14H and it had close to 5000 hrs on it when we bought it. We removed the snow equipment (wing & nose plow) and installed a ripper, push block, 16 ft moldboard, Huber reversible fan, automatic blade control, warm air/cold air intake system, alcohol sniffers, multi-piece out board rims and wide base tires, quilted covers, additional lights, synthetic oils etc. etc.. We set the machines up for the market that we work in. There is ABSULUTELY no way that a manufacture can mass produce a motor grader, which fits in to all markets PERFECTLY. One of the points being; cold weather is still some what of a niche market and I can guarantee that the majority of the machines never see conditions like we operate in up here in Alaska. I ran into this constantly when I was working at Caterpillar on the H Series, one week we were in the Andes Mts. in Peru at 14,500 ft elevation dealing with low power complaints and trying to explain to a customer that you just can’t keep injecting more fuel into an engine when there’s not enough oxygen available at these elevations. Yeah we can solve the problems with series turbo charging, different Mani folding, a larger ATTAAC system, plus hood and cowling modifications to keep it all covered. They wanted to know why it wasn’t built that way in the first place. So we had to explain that it’s not required when these machines are running at lower elevation and all these additions are going to increase costs and the size of the rear engine enclosure, which will block visibility to the rear of the machine. One week later we’re dealing with an angry customer in Florida over accelerated circle & side shift wear strip material. The machine was running in beach sand right at sea level. Low power was the last thing on this guys mind. Every customer thinks they’re the only one who knows when, where and how to properly use a motor grader and they’re all right. I met the best “Blade Operator” in the world several times.

Roadrunners right on the money also, this certainly didn’t just start with the M Series. I personally saw and dealt with list similar to what Alberta posted when I worked on the H Series. I was on that Galion back in the 70s because my Grandfather was upset with Caterpillar from back in the 60s. This Dell computer that I’m typing on right now has had its moments; they sure didn’t finish all the field follow work on it, but I still think it’s amazing. When I was at Caterpillar I was constantly reading about problems that the other manufactures were having with their motor graders and trust me, there was plenty of reading material available on this subject.

I would agree with Art also on some things, but not on others. Yeah maybe they could have done more testing and field follow work, but here’s the other side of this story. You are never going to learn everything you need to know buy continually testing at the proving grounds, you have got to have a field follow program where the customers will put the machine through it’s paces. It’s no different in the construction industry and you said it yourself, the time comes when the grader has to get out of the way and you’ve got to start laying asphalt. Was the grade perfect? Did it really meet the specs listed in the Bluebook? Could it have been better? You bet it could have, but someone made the tough decision and next phase of the project got started. During the H Series they had over 20 units spread out all over North America. Sometimes it’s very difficult to find a good field follow customer who will go the extra mile to give you good accurate reporting. To often the operators just want to park it at the end of shift and go home. Simply saying, “it’s a piece of @#!$ or calling someone’s baby ugly just doesn’t get it. Many people don’t realize how much work goes into a good Field follow program. I had the first 14H Tier II Field follow machine here in Alaska for one year. After spending nearly three years living in Decatur and at the Proving Grounds, helping with the development I then returned to Alaska. I plowed snow with it all winter, did gravel road maintenance with it in the spring, and then used it to finish on several construction projects here in Alaska throughout the summer and fall. Caterpillar paid to ship the machine all the way up here, they insured it, they paid N.C. Machinery to do all the major mechanic work on it, they had engineers fly up here and visit me on a regular basis (about every 2 weeks), I sent over 100 reports and over 200 emails went back and forth between Decatur and Myself during this period. It was a lot of additional work after I was done operating it all day and sometimes all night. I was glad when it was over. They shipped it back to Decatur where it was torn down and analyzed. It had problems over that 1 year period and a lot people worked really hard to solve the problems and make it into a great machine before that design went into production. Twice during the year the machine went back to N.C. and went through a major tear down to study some problems we were having. All new wiring harnesses were installed twice with some different routing to eliminate problems, all new ATAAC and cooling system installed twice to check different designs, all new hydraulic lines installed from front to back entire differential internals and tandems had to be removed to inspect weldments inside the doghouse/frame case, engine & trans had be removed for wiring and frame inspection work. Every part that came off that machine was shipped back to Decatur to be analyzed. Many times the work was done at night so that the machine was available to go in the morning and I could keep finishing in front of the pavers. Even after all that, there was still updates they had to make. Was it because I made a mistake? Did I not beat the machine hard enough?

In regards to Alberta’s problems, I couldn’t agree more, that’s unacceptable and costing him. We just aren’t seeing as many problems, but then again we don’t have as many M’s as he has. If that was my situation I’ll probably drive them all down to the dealer’s lot, block the driveways, set off the steering alarms, pop the little clips off the door linkage rods and walk away.

Teddy Roosevelt once said that it was better to try and win glorious triumphs even though you may be checkered by failure and fait than it was to rank with those poor spirits who know neither victory nor defeat because they are afraid to try anything. :usa

Great discussion Gentlemen…Randy

Attachments

• Fieldfollow5.jpg
    Fieldfollow5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Fieldfollow4.JPG
    Fieldfollow4.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Fieldfollow3.jpg
    Fieldfollow3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Fieldfollow 1.jpg
    Fieldfollow 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 353
  • Fieldfollow6.JPG
    Fieldfollow6.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 346

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
You made lot of good points Randy...

we are kind of Beta testers for these machines. We do field follow ups and report data/observations regularly, now. The frustrating part for me was at the very beginning. We reported lot of issues and possible solutions to the local dealer and wasn't getting much support until we got a hold of the western Canada Cat rep. He got the Finning and Cat Tech advisor to communicate with us and most of our issues are on the agenda now and some of our solutions are being implemented. But it took about 8 months before they started to listen to our issues. Two of our machines have been modified by a Cat factory engineer to try to solve the steering issue in cold weather and one other machine is running a different hydraulic oil. We have a meeting schedule this month between municipalities and Cat/Finning reps, to try to address some of our concerns. The other point Randy made about the operators stands true : The poor guys are a little discouraged and frustrated because of the initial problems and it getting hard to get their buy in when we try modifications or ask them to try to change their operating techniques....After all they are the people sitting in there for 10 to 14 hrs listening to the dreaded level 3 buzzer and having to stop/restart a couple of dozen times a day.

But I know things will get better.

Northart

Testing ?

Hello Randy,

I'll say it again and again, the Proving Grounds FAILED to identify the problems ! That is supposed to be their JOB ! Not the marketplace ! When problems surface with less than 250 hrs , on a new machine, something is wrong with the process, of introduction !

I had a brand new D8T , turned out had a software program fault . Should of absolutely been identified in the proving gounds testing . I found it in less than 40 hrs of operation .

The idea that the climate in Peoria is it , for test purpose , phooey !

Why not ship the grader or components to Fort Greely , in Alaska for COLD WEATHER Testing ?? The Military does !

I've seen videos and DVD's of the Climate controlled labratories , what is wrong with them in finding the operational parameters ?

Thanks for your input of the other side of the coin ! :usa

Squizzy246B,

I know Merbston23, is fully capable of defending himself, as he interjected himself, into the conversation.

He is of another generation, degreed, but inexpierenced, in some matters. But at least willing to challenge . Probe, define assumptions, satisfy curiosity ! ! LOL :usa