• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader in the ditch

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
SLACKER IN DITCH.jpg
Here is a guy I work with who was getting greedy winging snow without a wing,

JDOFMEMI

Thats too bad.

A good grader hand would get that out before anyone came along and took a picture.

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
An H with good hydraulics, especially with a ripper, should be able to jack itself out of that situation. Not knowing exactly what is on the other side of the machine keeps me from saying anything too critical though. I have a hitch that I carry in my middle ripper pocket, and have used that planted in the shoulder, along with blade and circle sideshift, wheel lean, and articulation to get myself out of many similar situations. Spin the whole machine 90 degrees or more to the left if you need to. If you can do it without overheating your hydraulics, try for 15 minutes or so before you radio for help. If calling for help is not an option, you will get creative, and in time you will get yourself out. It is just one more step in the self education of a good operator. If you don't learn something from getting stuck, hang it up.

smoothoperator.....been there

JDOFMEMI

An H with good hydraulics, especially with a ripper, should be able to jack itself out of that situation. Not knowing exactly what is on the other side of the machine keeps me from saying anything too critical though. I have a hitch that I carry in my middle ripper pocket, and have used that planted in the shoulder, along with blade and circle sideshift, wheel lean, and articulation to get myself out of many similar situations. Spin the whole machine 90 degrees or more to the left if you need to. If you can do it without overheating your hydraulics, try for 15 minutes or so before you radio for help. If calling for help is not an option, you will get creative, and in time you will get yourself out. It is just one more step in the self education of a good operator. If you don't learn something from getting stuck, hang it up.

smoothoperator.....been there

:iagree
Well said smoothoperator

Every day is a learning opportunity. Sometimes from our own actions, and sometimes from the actions or mistakes of others.
The cheapest lesson is the one learned from others, but the one that sticks with you the longest is from your own hard luck.

Hopuser
I bet you were on the loader ahead sent to the rescue. Right?

Thanks for sharing.

Hopuser

Occupation
Surface Supervisor
I showed up with loader and then crabed the thing out, showed him how to do it,(new operator) like I told him (for every mile of road there is two miles of ditch!) also their is those that have been in the ditch and those that are going in the ditch!

Grader4me

This is a good chance to share with the less experienced grader operators here on the forum. When stuck like this or worse, what is the best approach to get your machine out, without having to call for a tow and (shutter) have pictures taken..
Believe me I've been in alot of these situations over the last 25 years or so. Nothing really to be embarrassed about as it can happen to anyone. Smoothoperator summed it up quite well.
Just want to add that the first thing I do is get my front end up onto the road. I do this by lifting up the front end with the blade and sideshift/bladeslide the front end up onto the road. A lot of times this will bring your ass end up a bit as well especially if you use the articulating steering at the same time. After doing this sometimes (depending how bad you're in) its just a matter of wiggling(articulating) your way out. Times I had to position the moldboard on the low side and use the blade circle turn with the grader in low gear and come out that way. Its really hard to do anything with your front end still in the ditch, but with it up on the road half the battle is done.
If you try a few times and you are just sinking further, then its time to swallow your pride and just get a tow....and let the cameras flash...:D
Been there too...

Last edited:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I do this by lifting up the front end with the blade and sideshift/bladeslide the front end up onto the road. A lot of times this will bring your ass end up a bit as well especially if you use the articulating steering at the same time.

Have you ever broken anything doing this?

(Sorry, the mechanic in me made me ask...)

Grader4me

No problem..I'll give you an honest answer...nope

On edit...I'll have to add that I've done this many times. In my line of work getting stuck is a given, and you just learn to get it out. You don't have to abuse your machine, it boils down to know how and experience. I can tell in a very short time if I'm going to be able to get it out. I won't bury it to the point of no return. I don't mind calling for a tow if needed. I was never one to abuse my rig, but I always got the most out of it.

Last edited:

Danial Doherty

what the hell would you ever use to tow out a grader anyway??? A tank?? them bastards got to be heavy!! I cant see any old tandem or something pulling your ass out! but i suppose it depends on how bad your sunk

Grader4me

what the hell would you ever use to tow out a grader anyway??? A tank?? them bastards got to be heavy!! I cant see any old tandem or something pulling your ass out! but i suppose it depends on how bad your sunk

Lol...Ford Focus...:D

I remember one time I was hauling in the shoulders and I hit a soft place..I mean soft. The edge of the shoulder completely just gave out. I was bogged in good style, and the grader was at a very awkward angle (almost tipping over).
No trying any fancy stuff there. We hooked onto the front end with another grader, and as he started the pull I felt it starting to go over more. Almost to the point of having to change my underwear :eek:
I called in a tandem truck (loaded) and had him pull up along side of me, and we hooked a cable to the top of the rear wing post. With all of us communicating on the two way radio, we worked together and inched my grader out of there.
Probably the worst I've been in. I think....:)

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
I didn't mean to imply you abuse equipment. It's obvious from your edit you don't. I was just wondering how the machines hold up.

Grader4me

I didn't mean to imply you abuse equipment. It's obvious from your edit you don't. I was just wondering how the machines hold up.

No worries RobVG....that was a very good question and no offense taken. You can definitely break stuff if you start working against yourself. I don't know how else to explain it... but you just have to take things easy and the big thing is to know your machine and what it is capable of.

Danial Doherty

Lol...Ford Focus...:D

I remember one time I was hauling in the shoulders and I hit a soft place..I mean soft. The edge of the shoulder completely just gave out. I was bogged in good style, and the grader was at a very awkward angle (almost tipping over).
No trying any fancy stuff there. We hooked onto the front end with another grader, and as he started the pull I felt it starting to go over more. Almost to the point of having to change my underwear :eek:
I called in a tandem truck (loaded) and had him pull up along side of me, and we hooked a cable to the top of the rear wing post. With all of us communicating on the two way radio, we worked together and inched my grader out of there.
Probably the worst I've been in. I think....:)

Sounds like a blast!!! lol Ive had good luck so far, only been in the ditch once and it came out fairly easy and was no wheres near tipping over! Im sure my day is coming tho!

Grader4me

Sounds like a blast!!! lol Ive had good luck so far, only been in the ditch once and it came out fairly easy and was no wheres near tipping over! Im sure my day is coming tho!

Just remember what old Grader4me is telling you...lol...just don't do the things that I've done..wait a minute...isn't that the name of a song?? lol

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
Quite a few years ago, I was sent out to finish blade a grade raise across a slough area. I wasn't there when the fill was hauled in, and the top was dressed with a D3 LGP. The material was sandy, with very little binder. I was wheel packing my way closer to the edge, one half to one tire width at a time. In reverse, at about 5 MPH, the bank let go, and down I went. I always wear a seatbelt, so I was tied down when I hit the bottom. The mud at the bottom of the fill stopped at the top of the tires, keeping me from going over. A 140G on solid ground, 50' of 2" nylon rope got me out, eventually. A farmer came out, saw the tracks in the mud and on the slope, and asked if there was anyone crazy enough to actually ride it out. I just smiled. A learning experience, and my machine had a serious mud wedgie. That was the worst part.

As I get older, I spend more time thinking about the best (safest, really) way of getting a really stuck machine free. If you can get yourself out, that's always best, especially if nobody saw you. But if you need a pull, make sure you have enough of the right equipment to do the job right. Make sure that everyone involved understands the procedure, and all others are clear of the area. I've never seen anyone hurt on one of our projects, and I never want to.

smoothoperator...six tires on the ground...most of the time.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Grader in the ditch: Some trivia 4 Grader4me

just don't do the things that I've done..wait a minute...isn't that the name of a song?? lol
Close, Grader4me... it's not the name, but some lyrcs... :cool2

The song is "Coward of the County", by Kenny Rogers.
Promise me, son, not to do the things Ive done.
Walk away from trouble if you can.
Now it dont mean youre weak if you turn the other cheek.
I hope youre old enough to understand:
Son, you dont have to fight to be a man.

My noteworthy contribution to the Forum... on this day... :rolleyes:

Instigated, by the subject matter posted, by Grader4me... :tong

OCR... :D

Last edited:

Grader4me

Hee Hee, that sounds like "here, hold my beer and watch this!" :D

LOL..yep, stand back and watch the old coot :D

The song is "Coward of the County", by Kenny Rogers.

My noteworthy contribution to the Forum... on this day...

Had I gave it a little more thought it might have came to me :rolleyes: :)
Thanks tho for you're noteworthy contribution :notworthy :D

Good story there smoothoperator. Anyone else with a "stuck" story to share?