• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS System/ Machine Control/ Modeling Software

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
I about made a leap to GPS today, but instead decided to get more input from members, if they'll be so kind.
And please inform if you use what your recommending, or sell what your recommending.
Mine is a small business and I do mostly ag work.
The goals are to be able to: Rover job areas, design job, input into machine, and possibly machine control.
My thoughts on what is needed: 4 machines wired, blade, dozer, scraper, rover buggy. 2 units to put in machines or rover. 2 base stations.
Normally would plan to have 2 machines and 1 base going.
Sometimes though I hope to have someone survey ahead with the rover and that would require the second base.

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
I have been trying a Leica Icon 60gps.
I've been going out and on the fly getting drainage. I don't have any design software currently. Or training.
The Base setup seems harder than it should be when I go to a new field. Seems like I think I've got it figured out how to do it
and then it proves that I don't.
Have been able to learn to survey a line, kinda, still can't get it to start where I want.
Able to change elevations on that line, how to show cut/fill and width.
Would need to get computer design software to design on to use this system with help.

Got a demonstration on a trimple www.modernag.inc system. It is a much simpler program
for water management. https://www.youtube.com/feature=player_detailpage
Then for field drainage there is a $3000 software, and for complex drainage there is another program with usage charges.
The basic field package is a take off of there tiling package.
It is a 2d system. For everything I wanted 4 machines set up, 2 units, 2 base, software. I chickened out due to price.
They could tie into my existing grade-pro valve. That would be great.

Hoppsxc140

Our company just jumped in to the GPS world recently. We are in the road construction side of things. Two years ago Topcon GR-3's were purchased used with a data collector and topsurv software independently of a dealer for the simple task of locating 700 utilities on a city paving project. Went with a 3d-MC2 system for our 140m and a new data collector with pocket 3d. Still using our GR-3 as a base and rover, the pocket 3d software is very easy to use and for the crew guys to figure out. We have also received there office 3d program which the dealer tells me it isn't a design program but its done everything we have used it for so far. With knowing what we paid for one machine I would guess you were at around 400k for the package you described.

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
The Modern Ag system was just under 80,000 $. The 1 catch is it won't load up plan files.
This ag system is just for drainage and won't load road jobs.
On the grader they could tie into the existing blade pro valve for $3,000.
The other 3 machines "set up" was just cab mount kits.

The Leica system is a base, a rover, an external receiver, rover pole, and a cab mount kit. It was 33,000 $
It's another 30,000 $ to hook up automatics on the blade with it.
I would like to try a simple surface program for the data I get surveying, not as simple as getting an app on your phone. :rolleyes:

Last edited: