• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got my first real project to bid!

Acivil

I think you hit the nail on the head... I would have been between 7-10k for that job, but with your low overhead you should be able to clean up on this one. Just watch every penny... it goes faster than you think.:Banghead Remember, though it won't feel like you are working your butt off... if you can sub it all out, and make 1-2 k on it without lifting a finger, you will end up ahead in the end. Just nail everyone to the wall on their prices, and don't budge unless you have it in the budget. As far as the deadline, just make it happen, retail people don't understand the term "realistic timeline". They probably have some "landlord's responsibility" to keep the signs up for their tenants which makes this little operation a touchy one. ;)

Aliate

I think you hit the nail on the head... I would have been between 7-10k for that job, but with your low overhead you should be able to clean up on this one. Just watch every penny... it goes faster than you think.:Banghead Remember, though it won't feel like you are working your butt off... if you can sub it all out, and make 1-2 k on it without lifting a finger, you will end up ahead in the end. Just nail everyone to the wall on their prices, and don't budge unless you have it in the budget. As far as the deadline, just make it happen, retail people don't understand the term "realistic timeline". They probably have some "landlord's responsibility" to keep the signs up for their tenants which makes this little operation a touchy one. ;)

Thanks for the advice, yeah the signs are directions to different areas of the mall, and there was a DOT complaint about line of sight issues after a few car accidents. If I had money to sub it out I would, but I would also like to give my own guys some work, I havnt had anything to do for the past 3 weeks or so.

dynahoescott

your mall job

Thanks for the advice, yeah the signs are directions to different areas of the mall, and there was a DOT complaint about line of sight issues after a few car accidents. If I had money to sub it out I would, but I would also like to give my own guys some work, I havnt had anything to do for the past 3 weeks or so.

hi aliate, you said it was a big mall, if it is the palisades mall, I worked there also. Its all rock there too, watch out for that my friend.

Aliate

hi aliate, you said it was a big mall, if it is the palisades mall, I worked there also. Its all rock there too, watch out for that my friend.

hah yeah, dont worry Ive had some serious run ins with rock Im not worried, what did you do for them and how are they to work for?

dynahoescott

palisades mall

hah yeah, dont worry Ive had some serious run ins with rock Im not worried, what did you do for them and how are they to work for?

Aliate, I am an operator, so when I worked there in 97 I was digging for nino colonnelli (my old boss and still friend) he works for the pse&g and orange and rockland gas alot so he got paid by the utility. The rock is hard up there but not as bad as the fort lee jersey city area. Best of luck to you my friend:drinkup

Aliate,
I know you are new to bidding projects but you should never have to ask if you underbid. Just make sure you thought of everything and you should know nearly exactly how much you expect to end up with in the end. This can vary a bit depending on your production numbers but on such a small job it should not vary much. Be confident in your numbers and make sure you included everything and you will be fine. Congrats on having the lowest bid! Let us know how it goes.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Large malls sometimes have labor agreements with the unions.

Proper planning prevents pi_s poor production.

diggerdave1958

Aliate, I agree with NEConstruction, don't second guess yourself, u have to BELIVE that u have the right numbers on your bid. If u are unsure talk to the owner/CM ask question at the pre-bid meeting if they have one. and please let us know how things are going with the job !!!! and Congrats on the Job.
Dave

Aliate

I didnt get it yet but by them calling me back Im guessing I had the low bid, but we will see soon

Hendrik

My advice is to plan for everything, what happens if you have an accident on the first day and have to spend a couple of weeks in hospital? Do you have people that can do the job without you? Will your insurance cover the cost of you having to hire in someone to finish the job?

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I'm rooting for you Aliate.

Just make sure the signs remain standing when you're done!

Before you know it you'll be on the guy's speed dial.

:drinkup

Aliate

Im gonna give them a call tomorrow, my computer was down for a few days, the hard drive went.

diggerdave1958

Sorry to hear about your computer, Aliate they seem to fail when you need them the most, LoL did u have to get a new computer ???

Aliate

Nah it was under warranty only 11 mos old and I know enough after a few broken computers to upgrade to the 3yr warranty lol. They came here and put some new parts in it, lost all my stuff on my hard drive, but the business stuff is on another computer and its backed up so oh well.

Speedpup

Occupation
Nah it was under warranty only 11 mos old and I know enough after a few broken computers to upgrade to the 3yr warranty lol. They came here and put some new parts in it, lost all my stuff on my hard drive, but the business stuff is on another computer and its backed up so oh well.

I back up every thing with webroot and it does it every night so nothing is lost and it is cheap.

Aliate

the douchebags used someone different, a company that parks their equipment there. It looks like they didnt do some stuff that was in the original spec to cut down their bid, like the foundations were never removed and one of the signs wasnt relocated, it was just moved up to fix the line of sight issues. They didnt call me, I just drove by and saw it was done. Ive been busy all week anyway, Im gonna call them on monday and see what happened.

Speedpup

Occupation
the douchebags used someone different, a company that parks their equipment there. It looks like they didnt do some stuff that was in the original spec to cut down their bid, like the foundations were never removed and one of the signs wasnt relocated, it was just moved up to fix the line of sight issues. They didnt call me, I just drove by and saw it was done. Ive been busy all week anyway, Im gonna call them on monday and see what happened.

I would not bother calling them as you will not get anything except what they want to tell you. They may have used you to drive the other bidder down. The other contractor may of gave them the idea on moving the sign up and then gave them a less than full value credit and then they are both happy. Look forward not backwards. It's over on that one make a call for another project or contact.