• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good deal?

dumptrucker

I am looking at purchasing a 98 freightliner with set back axel , 14 foot body, N-14 cummins, 430hp , 18 fronts 46 rears, set up for trailer, new brakes , tires and trans rebuild, has 270,000 on it. The truck was well maintained, know the owner he is asking 45,000. I think it is a good deal what do you think? A dealer told me it was worth 50-55k. Looking for any input thanks.

Mack

I am looking at purchasing a 98 freightliner with set back axel , 14 foot body, N-14 cummins, 430hp , 18 fronts 46 rears, set up for trailer, new brakes , tires and trans rebuild, has 270,000 on it. The truck was well maintained, know the owner he is asking 45,000. I think it is a good deal what do you think? A dealer told me it was worth 50-55k. Looking for any input thanks.

Do you happen to know the total millage is also what kind of transmison does it have?

A 14 foot body is awful short I would have atleast a 16 foot.

nedly05

With those specs you can get permitted for 18-19 Ton across the pond in NY. I would buy that truck, is it a FL-112? Did it come from RR Charlebois, in Colchester? If so they seem to put trucks together right, I've seen quite a few of them, a few contractors over this way have some from there. Do you have any pics??

dumptrucker

270,000 is the total milage. I like the shorter body , easier to get around sites. The truck was built by freightliner of NH in Lebanon, NH. He had the truck built for him , it's not something he bought off the lot. I drove it for a couple of loads today. Drives nice , no shakes or rattles. I think I am going to buy it. Not 100 percent sure yet. about 80 percent. Thanks for your input.

Mack

270,000 is the total milage. I like the shorter body , easier to get around sites. The truck was built by freightliner of NH in Lebanon, NH. He had the truck built for him , it's not something he bought off the lot. I drove it for a couple of loads today. Drives nice , no shakes or rattles. I think I am going to buy it. Not 100 percent sure yet. about 80 percent. Thanks for your input.

270,000mi and it already has a rebuild.:eek:

Short wheel base means you don't haul as much or atleast here it does.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Short dump bodies around here are not allowed to haul heavy either plus the fact that the drive tires will peal off quicker than toilet paper. A 15' foot box is the shortest and its only legal for 9 yards.

Now that Mack meantioned it why has the truck had a transmission rebuild already who drove this truck ?

It sounds like a person that was a little hard on it :eek:

I would take the truck to a shop and have it looked at and have them check the rear ends etc.

What kind of suspension is in this truck ?

With that kind of weight and short wheelbase the suspension is going to see some abuse same with the drive axles.

dumptrucker

The transmission was popping out of fouth gear. We can gross 60,000 around here. About 17-18 tons legal carry weight. The truck has had only two drivers. The second was a little hard on her. He only drove the truck for three months last year. No driver for it this year , so he is selling it.
It has hendrickson rubber block suspension. It is a SD like the one LT listed above.

I think I am going to put a deposit on it. My truck's transmission went BANG today.

Last edited:

sbrem

Unfortunately that was me. Truck is to old to sink any serious money into.

I figured it probably was you, but wasn't sure. Thats too bad its broken. I looked at your picture of it in your gallery on the other site and its a nice looking old Mack. It sucks when stuff breaks!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I would go with the Freightliner if you can swing the payments etc. The rubber block suspension will ride smoother than your break your back camel back suspension. The Freightliner will be like driving a cadilac compared to what you are used to :lmao

Macks are good trucks but they definatly were bare bones basic trucks you had a milk crate for a seat and a steering wheel. With N-14 power in the Freighliner you will be alot less tired from the less shifting and less preplanning climbing hills.

One of the excavation contractors down the coast has a SD FL tandem axle dump it looks good and hauls heavy loads. Truck has some chrome on it and runs against the KW and Western Stars.

The only thing I can see you doing with the Freightliner is run good quality drive tires so you don't get the out of round bounce. Also a good quality air ride seat with good support. With a wheelbase that short with a short dump box and rubber block suspension it will be a little rough riding.

One thing you will really miss from the Mack will be the axle articulation offroad. The rubber block walking beam suspension isn't a real axle articulation suspension. When your climbing dirt roads you have to be a little more carefull because once on tire starts to slip and bounce your stuck.

I think you will be happy with the truck if you do buy it. You will probably increase production per day running the Freightliner.

dumptrucker

Well after some serious looking around on the web I have decided to buy the truck. I am going to pick it up today. I will post some pics at a later date.

thanks for all the input, always helps to have more than one point of view.:thumbsup

greg