• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gold Rush D10

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
I noticed that 60K Raptor in the first show of the season..... you will also notice blue ovals on most of their ground transportation equipment.

Welder Dave

Ford isn't supplying vehicles or they would be making sure you see the Ford name every 10 seconds.

overworked

Watching now and they said Cheese man plowed snow at age 6 in a 53 ton D6, Like to see the blade on that to get that heavy, they kill the show with all the misinformation.

Ozz

This is one of those shows that makes you feel good on the inside because you know that you can go up there and do better than they can. From the way the people are characterized there's a grand total of two people I would hire. Oh well...

seriouswork

Great conversation in here from what I've read. Yeah, I noticed the 53 ton D6 comment too. I was just in one of those a couple weeks ago, and unless the whole machine was filled with lead, I don't think there is any way to make a D6 weigh 106,000 pounds.

On another note, I notice some strange things about the show that I want to run by you guys. First of all, has anyone else noticed how the numbers/appearances of machines and vehicles seem to change during various clips of the show?

For example, if I remember correctly, I once saw at least 3 and maybe 4 rock trucks supposedly belonging to Parker in one clip. But I thought he was supposed to only have 2 rock trucks?

And then, the grille on his Ford Raptor mysteriously changed during one clip. For most of the times we see that truck, it has the standard grille, but one time, it seemed to have a billet grille replacement. Very strange.

Anyways, from my perspective, the equipment they are using on the show seems to be too small for their needs. In particular, the rock trucks Parker and Todd are using have very limited capacity in terms of cubic yards.

Right now, the largest rock truck sold by Volvo, the A40GFS has a 32.3 cubic yard capacity, a 43 ton payload capacity, and a 35 mile per hour max speed.

Compare that to a Cat 770 off-highway truck: it has a 32.8 cubic yard capacity, a 40 ton max payload, and a top speed of 46.5 miles per hour. And that's the smallest model made: if you go up a couple sizes to the 777G, it has a 98 ton payload, almost 84 cubic yards of bed capacity, and 41.7 mile per hour max forward speed.

Parker's biggest problem seems to be his cycle times, and by upgrading to a slightly larger, higher capacity truck made for that kind of mining work, he could really improve the amount of pay going to the plant.

The main reason I bring this up is because Tony appears to be running 777G size trucks at his mine. Although the show hasn't displayed that much footage of his mining operation, I do vividly remember a large older model Cat off-highway truck being driven by one of his workers at the site.

But I digress: I guess it's more fun for the show if things don't make complete sense. :D

farmIT

I don;t think the could keep a small haul truck up, They try haul in muck. they need roads and those guys cant build a dog house. I think discovery even brings in there camp and cooks ... I bet they eat there too,,,, I would be lol

But there excavators keep getting bigger lol so haul trucks need to haul it away quicker too. so more A40 S or something bigger needed.

seriouswork

I don;t think the could keep a small haul truck up, They try haul in muck. they need roads and those guys cant build a dog house. I think discovery even brings in there camp and cooks ... I bet they eat there too,,,, I would be lol

But there excavators keep getting bigger lol so haul trucks need to haul it away quicker too. so more A40 S or something bigger needed.

Yeah, they would need a better/wider haul road for an off highway truck, but they really need that for what they have currently.

And like you said, the excavators are pretty large compared to those small trucks, so something will have to change soon enough.

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Before Parker bought the dozer in the show he tore up the water line with it. Anyone notice that? It's all in the editing. I don't think a regular haul truck would work for them. They need the 46 ton john Deere or 50 ton bell ATD's.

seriouswork

Before Parker bought the dozer in the show he tore up the water line with it. Anyone notice that? It's all in the editing. I don't think a regular haul truck would work for them. They need the 46 ton john Deere or 50 ton bell ATD's.

Yeah, I do remember that. One of those timely mistakes that works perfect for television lol.

The haul truck might not work for them, but the one factor I'm taking into consideration is size. A haul truck is shorter than a rock truck (with greater capacity), and only slightly wider. So what the haul truck would lose in width, it would gain in maneuverability because of it's size.

The previously mentioned A40G is almost 37 feet long while the Cat 772G is about 29 feet long and carries more at a faster top speed.

Now as for the Bell truck: looks like a good model, but what's their parts network like? Are there any Bell dealers up north?

alco

And then, the grille on his Ford Raptor mysteriously changed during one clip. For most of the times we see that truck, it has the standard grille, but one time, it seemed to have a billet grille replacement. Very strange.

I think I can explain the different grill in Parker's pick up. This is a picture I found on Facebook, that supposedly shows Parker's truck in a slightly beat up state. I would guess that the new grill came with the repairs.

10426200_910616532284889_8961760616882679421_n.jpg

Anyways, from my perspective, the equipment they are using on the show seems to be too small for their needs. In particular, the rock trucks Parker and Todd are using have very limited capacity in terms of cubic yards.

Right now, the largest rock truck sold by Volvo, the A40GFS has a 32.3 cubic yard capacity, a 43 ton payload capacity, and a 35 mile per hour max speed.

Compare that to a Cat 770 off-highway truck: it has a 32.8 cubic yard capacity, a 40 ton max payload, and a top speed of 46.5 miles per hour. And that's the smallest model made: if you go up a couple sizes to the 777G, it has a 98 ton payload, almost 84 cubic yards of bed capacity, and 41.7 mile per hour max forward speed.

Parker's biggest problem seems to be his cycle times, and by upgrading to a slightly larger, higher capacity truck made for that kind of mining work, he could really improve the amount of pay going to the plant.

The main reason I bring this up is because Tony appears to be running 777G size trucks at his mine. Although the show hasn't displayed that much footage of his mining operation, I do vividly remember a large older model Cat off-highway truck being driven by one of his workers at the site.

Tony's trucks are older 769 models, so you're only looking at a 35 ton truck. He hasn't got anything as big as a 777. The biggest issue with not using a rigid frame truck is most likely that Volvo doesn't currently offer one. That may change with the purchase of the Terex truck line, but for now, the A40 is the largest they offer. Volvo is a major sponsor of the show, so they get first crack at putting iron into there, and Discovery goes along with it because of the cheap pricing.

Another note that others have mentioned, is that a rigid frame truck is better suited to good roads, and they don't have those. Tony's operation has decent roads, but he's also a whole lot more established than they are at the other spreads. So, without the good roads to run the trucks on, you wouldn't get the speed out of them. For what they are doing, the A40 is plenty big enough. The key is that they need to set their cuts up properly, and make the most of their equipment. Right now, they seem to be more in semi retirement mode than anything.

One more point, is that if they brought in more, or larger equipment, they would have a harder time inserting the false drama into the show about how they can't keep up.

Now as for the Bell truck: looks like a good model, but what's their parts network like? Are there any Bell dealers up north?

As for the Bell trucks, I think it comes down to the sponsorship deal like I was saying, and also that I don't think there is much of a dealer network for them in the area.

I know how you feel, I have had a lot of similar thoughts on the way they are doing things. I know for certain that I'd be doing things differently than they are if I was running up there. I'd sure like to put a couple rigid trucks in and see how it goes. But I'd also like to have a grader keeping the roads up, even if it was only part time. At the very least, I'd have a Be-Ge type drag scraper to help with the roads.

seriouswork

I think I can explain the different grill in Parker's pick up. This is a picture I found on Facebook, that supposedly shows Parker's truck in a slightly beat up state. I would guess that the new grill came with the repairs.

View attachment 128161

Tony's trucks are older 769 models, so you're only looking at a 35 ton truck. He hasn't got anything as big as a 777. The biggest issue with not using a rigid frame truck is most likely that Volvo doesn't currently offer one. That may change with the purchase of the Terex truck line, but for now, the A40 is the largest they offer. Volvo is a major sponsor of the show, so they get first crack at putting iron into there, and Discovery goes along with it because of the cheap pricing.

Another note that others have mentioned, is that a rigid frame truck is better suited to good roads, and they don't have those. Tony's operation has decent roads, but he's also a whole lot more established than they are at the other spreads. So, without the good roads to run the trucks on, you wouldn't get the speed out of them. For what they are doing, the A40 is plenty big enough. The key is that they need to set their cuts up properly, and make the most of their equipment. Right now, they seem to be more in semi retirement mode than anything.

One more point, is that if they brought in more, or larger equipment, they would have a harder time inserting the false drama into the show about how they can't keep up.

As for the Bell trucks, I think it comes down to the sponsorship deal like I was saying, and also that I don't think there is much of a dealer network for them in the area.

I know how you feel, I have had a lot of similar thoughts on the way they are doing things. I know for certain that I'd be doing things differently than they are if I was running up there. I'd sure like to put a couple rigid trucks in and see how it goes. But I'd also like to have a grader keeping the roads up, even if it was only part time. At the very least, I'd have a Be-Ge type drag scraper to help with the roads.

Ok, the truck thing makes sense now. I could believe that picture cause his driving seems to be suspect at best.

I also see what you're saying with Tony and the road thing. Something like a 16M on those roads would really make things better, but they aren't very focused on roads or safety at this point.

I'm sure Tony is running some older Cat graders on his fleet, but then again, he is way more established and more focused on long-term profitability instead of instant success.

Anyone know how Volvo got the sponsorship deal worked out? That's some pretty good publicity for them.

overworked

Todd Hoffman is the creator of the show and I think he is the smart one here, there up there mining, making money every which way, Jerusalem Mining is Todd,s company, Discovery give him a paycheck "400.000" a season, Jack gets "300.000", I'm sure most are for wages, equipment sponsors I'm sure!. Any one of us would let Discovery make an ass of us for that kind of paycheck, I'll bet Tony and Dave are on being compensated, Freddy is getting all kinds of advertisement for MSI.

Beachbum0286

Ok, the truck thing makes sense now. I could believe that picture cause his driving seems to be suspect at best.

I also see what you're saying with Tony and the road thing. Something like a 16M on those roads would really make things better, but they aren't very focused on roads or safety at this point.

I'm sure Tony is running some older Cat graders on his fleet, but then again, he is way more established and more focused on long-term profitability instead of instant success.

Anyone know how Volvo got the sponsorship deal worked out? That's some pretty good publicity for them.

I'm pretty sure I saw what looked like a volvo grader (of course) at parkers site in the background a couple times. It was not running.