• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gloves to keep hands clean?

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I had some blue colored thin gloves and I lost the box. They worked fairly well not sure on the brand.. I bought some Pematex gloves yellow and when I just used them with gas and they fell apart in a matter of minutes. I fugured a place selling truck parts would have little use for a product like they were. :Banghead:Banghead. What do I need nitrile gloves? Any brand you would recommend? Any tricks like wearing two at once to make them last a bit longer? Thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, Nitrile gloves, I wear them all the time. They're resistant to fuel, oils, chemicals that latex gloves can't handle. Most truck parts stores, and even my auto parts stores have them. My favorite brand is Ansel Edmont "Touch N Tuff" gloves. I have know idea why, but they seem to be tougher and fit better than all other brands I've used, they generally do cost a little more though. ;)

Speedpup

Occupation
Yes, Nitrile gloves, I wear them all the time. They're resistant to fuel, oils, chemicals that latex gloves can't handle. Most truck parts stores, and even my auto parts stores have them. My favorite brand is Ansel Edmont "Touch N Tuff" gloves. I have know idea why, but they seem to be tougher and fit better than all other brands I've used, they generally do cost a little more though. ;)

as usual thanks Paul!:notworthy I'll see if I find that brand tomorrow.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If nothing else, you can get them from Grainger, but they are a little more spendy. They are my favorite though, most times I just make do with what I get from the parts local parts store, but I sure do go through more of them.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
www.gemplers.com

They sell them in several different thicknesses, and in bulk quantities. I have bought work clothes, and other stuff from them. Great to deal with, good prices, and they have some unique items.

Speedpup

Occupation
www.gemplers.com

They sell them in several different thicknesses, and in bulk quantities. I have bought work clothes, and other stuff from them. Great to deal with, good prices, and they have some unique items.

I buy American made shovels from them. Thanks!

just looked and they have 8 mil but the shipping was near 50% of the glove price. Guess I'll hit Graingers.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I like the 5 mil gloves. The dexterity and feel is much finer than the 8 mil. I can handle even small machine screws/nuts with the 5 mil.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Atco/Paul is there anyone local who has them?

If your talking about the Touch N Tuff, the only one I know of is Grainger. #4GC50 for large, #4GC51 for extra large. Around 15 bucks a box, ouch! As far as others, I've used the ones from Fisher Auto Parts and Truck Pro for around 9 bucks a box, they work OK, but they don't fit as well and ain't near as tough as the Touch N Tuff.

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
I do a lot of painting and from what i've experienced with lacquer thinner Nitrile gloves just won't hold up. I've tried a few different brand but not Touch N Tuff that Atco is talking about. Its hell on your hands to try and clean up a paint gun after you just painted something black :D

Speedpup

Occupation
I have gotten tired of trying to scrub my hands until they are raw and then they still look like crap. In the winter my hands get chapped then it is impossible to clean them.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
I have gotten tired of trying to scrub my hands until they are raw and then they still look like crap. In the winter my hands get chapped then it is impossible to clean them.
You know, I've tried all sorts of moisturizers. I even went fragrance free for a whole year. Now my sister, she uses some kind of uh... uh... uh... uh... aloe vera with a little sunscreen in it, and ideally, we should all wear gloves when going to bed, but I found out that that creates a kind of an interference with my... social agenda, you know what I mean.:naughty:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh

Speedpup

Occupation
You know, I've tried all sorts of moisturizers. I even went fragrance free for a whole year. Now my sister, she uses some kind of uh... uh... uh... uh... aloe vera with a little sunscreen in it, and ideally, we should all wear gloves when going to bed, but I found out that that creates a kind of an interference with my... social agenda, you know what I mean.:naughty:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh

well the gloves are kinda like... well you know what I mean:eek::eek:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I do a lot of painting and from what i've experienced with lacquer thinner Nitrile gloves just won't hold up. I've tried a few different brand but not Touch N Tuff that Atco is talking about. Its hell on your hands to try and clean up a paint gun after you just painted something black :D

Yeah boy, lacquer thinner is some mean stuff. If it can eat the paint off of your truck, it can sure as heck eat the hide off of your hands. :Banghead

Dualie

Also lacquer thinner can carry whatever on your hands INCLUDING the lacquer thinner strait into your blood stream.

I had to clean some 3" steel plates that were first sand blasted. They had to be darn near sterile in preparation for Epoxying a 1/4" stainless steel plate to the top. i was using 5 gal cans of M.E.K. I realized the first day that if you want to live a long and healthy life Chemical resistant gloves are MANDATORY. Also good ventilation is a very close second.

I use "Thickster" nitrile gloves from my local napa. They seem to be the most resistant to cuts and what not.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Also lacquer thinner can carry whatever on your hands INCLUDING the lacquer thinner strait into your blood stream.

I had to clean some 3" steel plates that were first sand blasted. They had to be darn near sterile in preparation for Epoxying a 1/4" stainless steel plate to the top. i was using 5 gal cans of M.E.K. I realized the first day that if you want to live a long and healthy life Chemical resistant gloves are MANDATORY. Also good ventilation is a very close second.

I use "Thickster" nitrile gloves from my local napa. They seem to be the most resistant to cuts and what not.

Dualie, I haven't tried the Thickster. What mil thickness are they? How much do you pay for a box? I might give them a try.

Dualie

Think their usually around 11 bucks. for a big box or somewhere there about's.
I'm not 100% on the price though, I usually have them add them on to an order when its under $50 so they will still deliver to me and I don't have to go down there.

I'm pretty sure their 8 mil. I have rather largish hands and their X-large gives me pretty darn good dexterity.

For menial greaseing operations i bought 1000 5 mil nitrile gloves from my klingspore abrasives rep. They were a new product and i think they were $6 per 100

All Jacked Up

If you know any local EMT's or paramedics in your community, you can ask them. My mother is an EMT and I can buy boxes of the medical nitrile gloves for cost. The ones that I like best are called high five gloves. They come up higher on your wrist than regular gloves.