• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Giving warranty on used equipment

Welder Dave

I was wondering if anyone has ever given some kind warranty when selling used equipment? I've seen in the past where a seller has offered to pay up to a certain amount for repairs when selling something used. Either up to a certain amount or a 50/50 deal up to a certain amount. It would be for 30 days up to maybe 90 days. Just a way to ensure the buyer you're selling a good product. I know some potential buyers would rather just pay less and take their chances but I was thinking it you sold something with a similar warranty a dealer would give for the same item would make it more appealing especially if the price was 15 to 20% lower than the dealer was charging? It's a risk but some machines basically work or they don't. Curious what people think?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Definitely NO. You don't want to carry the risk of used equipment being operated by idiots you don't know, doing things they should never do with it.

In other words, you have no control over how the item is going be used or abused, so you don't offer warranty on the item - unless you've got a bank behind you.

It's bad enough trying to get warranty on new equipment from dealers or manufacturers, and I don't know of any used equipment dealers offering warranties on used items.

Welder Dave

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of a way to make the welder I'm selling more appealing. It's an electric welder and not much ever goes wrong with them. A welder repair shop has a similar welder for $300 more but no cables or power cord. The one I'm selling has 50ft. of #1 cable and an extra long 16ft. power cord. The cable and power cord is worth about $350. I was offering some welding lessons because a few people showed interest in the last welder I sold. The other thought is I could offer to deliver it within about an hour's distance. It weighs about 400lbs. If someone on the forum was close to Edmonton and needed a good welder I'd give them a good deal.

Welder Dave

Yeah, I need someone who knows a little bit about welding and machines to see the ad. I'm asking a good price but it's only $100 more than a new Lincoln AC225 buzz box and 10 times the welder. Most people don't realize the cheap inverters have a fairly short lifespan and if something goes wrong, they aren't worth fixing. Another thing someone pointed out is it's a lot harder to steal a 400lb. welder. I could add an unopened 50lb. can of rods but I'll add I could deliver it within a reasonable distance. The trailer shop where it's at has a small trailer with ramps it could be rolled off. It's a Miller Dialarc 250P AC/DC. The P means it has power factor capacitors so will work on a smaller breaker. Unless running it at max. it will run on the same breaker as a buzz box.

Attachments

• 20240307_152342.jpg
    20240307_152342.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240307_142731.jpg
    20240307_142731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240307_142843.jpg
    20240307_142843.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 25

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
We have tail-light warranties, and concrete warranties here.

When the buyers tail-lights are out of sight, the warranty expires - or the concrete warranty expires as soon as they leave the concrete driveway!

ianjoub

I offered 2 warranties as well:

50/50 50 feet or 50 seconds, whichever came first

and

2/19 warranty. My shop was on US19. The warranty was good until they got to US 19.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No way. I've sold stuff as-is there it sits and have folks call back months later complaining something broke. Can't imagine what they would do if I gave them a warranty.

crane operator

I'm all about truth in advertising...

car for sale.jpg

It’s a piece of crap​

$800
Listed 2 days ago in Hendersonville, TN

Details​

• Condition
    Used - Fair
New tires, new battery, new brakes(front)! But thats all that works on it. It is in bad shape. It looks like the neighbors pterodactyl left a present on the side door and maybe a small woodland creature died on the inside by some of the carpet stains. The driver seat doesn’t move so you get a free phone charger that’s stuck underneath. There is some loose change permanently stuck to the middle console, so your Aldi quarter is included. It does need a front and rear seal. Oil pan gasket needs replacing as well as the starter. It does not run. If you like project cars, well here ya go. You buy, you tow. The title is clean and in hand on purchase. Cash only! But remember, it does have a new battery and front brakes. Also, gimme an offer, you never know.

Welder Dave

I'm all about truth in advertising...

View attachment 308039

It’s a piece of crap​

$800
Listed 2 days ago in Hendersonville, TN

Details​

• Condition
    Used - Fair
New tires, new battery, new brakes(front)! But thats all that works on it. It is in bad shape. It looks like the neighbors pterodactyl left a present on the side door and maybe a small woodland creature died on the inside by some of the carpet stains. The driver seat doesn’t move so you get a free phone charger that’s stuck underneath. There is some loose change permanently stuck to the middle console, so your Aldi quarter is included. It does need a front and rear seal. Oil pan gasket needs replacing as well as the starter. It does not run. If you like project cars, well here ya go. You buy, you tow. The title is clean and in hand on purchase. Cash only! But remember, it does have a new battery and front brakes. Also, gimme an offer, you never know.
The next line might be, this lovely POS could be yours!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I think free delivery in “X” distance is attractive enough..
How many times have u seen
“NO WARRANTY ON ELECTRICAL ITEMS”..!!!
and u wanna warranty USED electrical equipment.??
I think not..

Welder Dave

Red-D-Arc gives short warranties on used machines is why I was thinking about it but they have thousands of welders and work on them all the time. Just need to find someone wanting a heavier duty and better welder than a buzz box. I've noticed a lot of people scrimp on their budget when it comes to welding equipment but will fill there toolbox full of Snap-On and other high end tools.

Old Growth

Be patient. You are looking for a specific type of buyer and most nowadays that know little about welding will be looking at a new chinese made cheap one for their first machine. After it craps out, they will look for better quality

Hate to say it, but I have been using my GREEN Everlast chang wang welder in the shop more than my ol BLUE welders lately.

I didnt go looking for it, it kinda landed here an couple years ago, but I really like it.

My neighbors new red n black machine has been back to the factory twice in the last year tho. Both times for over 2 months.
Replaced several boards in my BLUEs also over the years.

Times a changing.