• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45 overheating problems

ernstZA

Occupation
Operations and Technical Director at Schoeman Cran
Good day

Can anyone help me please....
I have 3 x Z45 R/T 2008/9 models.
I never used to have an issue with overheating but lately they get VERY hot and actual trip the engine(Deutz). All 3 are doing this now. All functions are working well, no problems.
I had a look on the function manifold and used Testport 1 where I get 230-235 bar which I think is right, so it can't be building the heat from the main pressure relief valve correct?
Engine side I believe is good, engine air vents are clean, so no air restrictions.

Any ideas for where I can look will be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Last edited:

ernstZA

Occupation
Hi 92U 3406

It is both and therefor the engine trip switch trips.
Hydraulics gets very hot as well as the engine but I believe it the heat is coming from the hydraulic side.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Its been a while since I've looked at a Z45. I can't remember if they have a hydraulic cooler or not. I suggest the basics to start. Make sure your rads and coolers are clean and that any cooling fans operate properly. I don't know if you are aware but Genie has all their boom service and parts manuals available for download on their website www.genielift.com

ernstZA

Occupation
Its been a while since I've looked at a Z45. I can't remember if they have a hydraulic cooler or not. I suggest the basics to start. Make sure your rads and coolers are clean and that any cooling fans operate properly. I don't know if you are aware but Genie has all their boom service and parts manuals available for download on their website www.genielift.com

Hi
No my machines do not have any oil coolers.
I know about the manuals on the Genie website but I couldn't find anything that will help me with regards to the overheating we are experiencing.

lantraxco

Just to clarify, when you check test port 1, there should only be I think about 12 bar until you activate a function, like boom retract. Are you getting 230 bar with no functions activated?

The manual I found shows 220.6 bar main relief setting, but your machines may be a different revision. Can you provide one serial number?

ernstZA

Occupation
Just to clarify, when you check test port 1, there should only be I think about 12 bar until you activate a function, like boom retract. Are you getting 230 bar with no functions activated?

The manual I found shows 220.6 bar main relief setting, but your machines may be a different revision. Can you provide one serial number?

Hi
No. I get around 230bar when I operate a function. You are correct around 10bar in idle mode.
The serial number on one of the machines are Z452508B-1205.
Thank you for your reply.
Any assistance will be appreciated. I have been running these same machine for a few years now but suddenly in the last 6 months they started with these overheating problems.

lantraxco

And you have opened the cooling panel on the engines to make sure the engine oil coolers are clear of debris?

Have you made any change in the hydraulic oil?

ernstZA

Occupation
And you have opened the cooling panel on the engines to make sure the engine oil coolers are clear of debris?

Have you made any change in the hydraulic oil?
Hi
The cooling panels where all opened up and cleaned, they weren't actually dirty at all.
NO changes has been made to the hydraulic oil.
I am worried that there can be some kind of restriction in the hydraulic system like a pressure relieve valve or a kind of flow valve that can cause a heat build up.

lantraxco

So, the engine oil cooler fins were blown or sprayed out? Just trying to be sure we're talking about the same things.

Sure, but all three machines with the same fault? Very strange. By chance is it always the same operator? Tell him to take the brick off the safety pedal, lol.

ernstZA

Occupation
So, the engine oil cooler fins were blown or sprayed out? Just trying to be sure we're talking about the same things.

Sure, but all three machines with the same fault? Very strange. By chance is it always the same operator? Tell him to take the brick off the safety pedal, lol.

Hi

Yes, the oil cooler fins were blown and cleaned out.

No it is different operators.

Is there not something on the function manifold that I can check?

lantraxco

What is your ambient air temperature?

Have you changed out the high pressure filters?

Do your machines have the generator option and is it engaged constantly?

The manuals I can find all state the high pressure relief should be set at 221 bar, you might want to find the manual that is correct for you serial numbers to verify, and possibly adjust to spec. Check engine rpm to make sure it is not too high, should be 2,500 rpm, if it is higher this will cause excess oil flow and a higher pressure reading.

From what I can see, the hydraulic oil flows through hydrostat valve BG at low pressure until a function is enabled, then load sense pressure from any engaged function causes BG to raise the pressure to match the load. From your pressure readings though I would say it is functioning correctly.

A couple wild ideas, you might check the drive system to make sure the pumps are properly finding neutral, if they're trying to push oil when the brakes are locked that could cause heat. It is possible you have some failing o-rings in the function manifold, but without lots of flow and pressure testing the only way to check would be to remove each cartridge one at a time and inspect. Only other thing I can think of right now is fuel quality, if your fuel is not within proper spec it could be causing engine heat.

Rick39

You may want to shoot the temp of the oil in the engine oil pan compared to the cooler temp in and out.

I've seen a few bad thermostats over the years but it's pretty rare.

lantraxco

You may want to shoot the temp of the oil in the engine oil pan compared to the cooler temp in and out.

I've seen a few bad thermostats over the years but it's pretty rare.
Good point.

What gets me is the OP states that three identical machines are all doing the same thing starting at roughly the same point in time? Weird, unless it's ambient or operationally related?

ernstZA

Occupation
Thank you Guys for your replies, I will do all your recommendations and lets see if I get any results or a problem.
I will let you know the outcome.