• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45-22 very slow speed

Andrey Parchuk

Hello everyone! On my Genie Z45-22 (S/N: Z-45-007657, 1998 year, 6298 hours) slow all lift functions from ground and platform (primary and secondary boom up or down more then 4 minutes. Turntable rotate, extend or retract more then 2 minutes. Platform level up, down 1 minute). Only platform rotate function has normal speed (13 seconds). Machine drives good.
Last few month I cant find the failure. Its a big problem for me, because there isn't dealer, or services who can repair Genie in my country. I will be very grateful for the help.

Sorry for my bad English!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Welcome Andrey. Your English is good.
Do you have a service manual for your Genie? If not, you can download one here: http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/servZbooms3.htm
Have you checked the voltages at the controllers with the slow functions? My first thought was very low voltages on those functions. I see there is nothing for troubleshooting "slow functions" in the manual.

Rick39

I'll bet OFF is correct on this one.

You need about 9.5 volts on the A terminal of each controller at full stroke in order to get full output from the flow valves.

You should have 11 volts at least between the + and - on the card while lifting the boom as some is lost through the card.

The control power goes into the terminal strip, up to the estop, back down through the terminal strip to the foot pedal, then back up into the strip again and ends up at the horsepower board. It then daisy chains to all the switches and controllers.

Likely you are losing a little at each connection. I used to connect the wires together bypassing the terminal strip, then run a 14g wire from the + of the horsepower board to the + of the lift/swing controller.

Of course then you have to back off the trim pots on the card because the last few people that tried to fix the issue just cranked the pots in.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
Andrey, how does this machine Steer? Is Steer slow as well?

Although these older units do suffer from voltage drop, you may want to eliminate the hydraulic system first. It will be easier accomplished than electrical diagnostics.

The fact that your drive is working good suggests that the voltage to your Anti-Stall Board and Joystick for Drive, Brake Release and Steer is adequate. Chances are the supply to the boom function controllers is OK as well. A quick check would be to attach a Voltmeter to the + and - terminals of the Secondary Boom UP/DOWN Joystick, Engine Running, Foot on the foot pedal, Note the Voltage without stroking the Joystick (approx 12.5 to 14 volts) and then fully stroke the Joystick fully in the UP direction. If the Voltage at + and - drops down to less than 11 Volts then yes, the functions will be slow. Cables coming up the boom, E-Stop, Foot-Switch and connections are certainly suspect.

This machine is a 2WD Deutz machine?

Back to the hydraulics.
There are two pumps, a pump for Drive and a pump for Boom Functions.
It could very well be the function pump that is tired.
With a pressure gauge at the test port on the Function Manifold, there should be approximately 152 Bar when operating Platform Level all the way UP and continue to hold the switch in the UP position, as well as, operating Platform Rotate completely Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise and holding the switch.
If there is not enough pressure, you may try adjusting the Pressure Relief Valve to achieve the 152 Bar (2200psi).

but, Let us know how the Steer is working. This will tell us boatloads about the cause.
Z4522 hyd sch.png

Andrey Parchuk

Hello. Thank you OFF, Rick39, VoodooMojo very much for your advices. They are very important for me.
  • OFF, thanks for the link.
  • VoodooMojo you are right, it's a 2WD Deutz machine.
  • Hydraulic schematic correct, but there aren't on my model: oscillation lock-out, accumulator pre-charge and generator.
  • I have checked Relief Valve, the pressure is good, approximately 152 bar.
  • I disconnected contacts from the coils on the function manifold, attached voltmeter to the contacts and checked voltages using the "ground control box". The voltages were near 14,5V on all valves with coils (motor was working during this time). Is it right to test voltages in such way, or I mast to test only on platform using Joystick (slow speed from ground and platform)?
  • About steering: When I drive on first speed - machine steers good, but when I drive on second speed and try steer left or right, machine driving speed becomes very slow and it steers. When I finish steering speed becomes normal.
I cant understand!
When in ground control box to the resistor 100 Om parallel connect one more resistor, machine lifts faster...
When I press only function enable switch on ground control box, on all disconnected contacts from coils appears voltage from 0.3V to 1,3V, and on normally closed poppet valve appears voltage 3.3V. Why?

I have measured resistance of valve coils, are they good?:
  • 3 position 4 way valves - 3.2 Om
  • proportional valves - 4.6 Om
  • normally closed poppet valve - 6.1 Om

Andrey Parchuk

Andrey, how does this machine Steer? Is Steer slow as well?

Although these older units do suffer from voltage drop, you may want to eliminate the hydraulic system first. It will be easier accomplished than electrical diagnostics.

The fact that your drive is working good suggests that the voltage to your Anti-Stall Board and Joystick for Drive, Brake Release and Steer is adequate. Chances are the supply to the boom function controllers is OK as well. A quick check would be to attach a Voltmeter to the + and - terminals of the Secondary Boom UP/DOWN Joystick, Engine Running, Foot on the foot pedal, Note the Voltage without stroking the Joystick (approx 12.5 to 14 volts) and then fully stroke the Joystick fully in the UP direction. If the Voltage at + and - drops down to less than 11 Volts then yes, the functions will be slow. Cables coming up the boom, E-Stop, Foot-Switch and connections are certainly suspect.

This machine is a 2WD Deutz machine?

Back to the hydraulics.
There are two pumps, a pump for Drive and a pump for Boom Functions.
It could very well be the function pump that is tired.
With a pressure gauge at the test port on the Function Manifold, there should be approximately 152 Bar when operating Platform Level all the way UP and continue to hold the switch in the UP position, as well as, operating Platform Rotate completely Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise and holding the switch.
If there is not enough pressure, you may try adjusting the Pressure Relief Valve to achieve the 152 Bar (2200psi).

but, Let us know how the Steer is working. This will tell us boatloads about the cause.
View attachment 164807

You are right. Machine steers bad (before it steers bad only on the second speed). When I checked voltage on + and - terminals on the secondary boom joystick, the voltage near 14V. But when I fully stroke the Joystick fully in the UP direction the voltage drops to 8 - 9V.
When I check voltage on coils and power goes from ground control box (wires connected to coils) the power on proportional valves drops to 4V if I use functions.

Last edited: