• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie S-40 decides to start steering on its own randomly

240gordy

Occupation
Automotive and Heavy Duty Tech.
So I have a 2011 S-40 with the Deutz diesel in it that is just off warrenty.........And when steering the machine around, randomly it will continue to steer in the direction it was selected to initially. No further input needed at the joystick, it just continues to steer, it will do it either right or left doesn't seem to matter. At this point it is trying to continue steering and puts the pump under load and is pushing oil over the relief valve. I back-probed the deutch connectors at the coils that shift that spool valve at the main manifold. It has aprox 1 volt still at the positive wire on whichever coil that is currently causing it to steer without continued input from platform. If I disconnect the connector and plug it back in, everything goes back to normal and I can drive the unit around for a few minutes and it will happen again. There seems to be no set way in which I drive to get it to do this in the same manner every time, it just occurs when it wants too. I have replaced the joystick for this function and calibrated it, this did not help. So I replaced the mother board in platform control box assuming it was sending the 1 volt when it shouldn't. That didn't help either, machine still steers on its own. What the heck is going on here. I am not the kind of guy to just throw parts at equipment hoping it fixes it, but I did anyway cause I am lost, money has been wasted, I need help figuring this out. Any help is appreciated. I took the machine to the local Genie dealer here in Edmonton Alberta, they tried to help, but they are really busy, in the end I got nowhere with them, techs in their shop don't know why its doing this either........:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead