• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

General Service time benchmarks

bgkimber@bigpon

Hi Ladies and Gents,
I am searching for some benchmark service times for general equipment such as excavators, dump trucks etc.
I have just completed a 5000hr service on a customers ZX350, but due to some "technical difficulties" with my service rig I spent way more time at the job and the process was longer than I intend to charge out...
How much time should I charge the customer and still keep a straight face. I was onsite for 9 hours but should have taken much less time.
Cheers
Vinnie

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It takes what it takes. Don't short change yourself.

Call a dealer and ask them for a quote to do the same job. Just FYI most dealers in this area figure a field truck at $1,000 a day minimum for call out plus mileage, supplies and parts. Anything over eight hours is overtime so would they have had the same issues that you did if they did the same job?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I charge what it takes. Sometimes you've got seized parts, broken bolts etc. Most customers don't have an issue paying if you explain the issues you encountered to them. If my truck broke down or something like that I'd probably stop the clock for the customer until I could refocus on their job.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We always charged from shop door to shop door out and in as to hours never had a customer complain. Now had we had to drive across country for more than a few hours or so then we did a day before trip out, per diem on site for day then return next day not charging hours driven. Worksite repairs/service was always straight time. Shop time was different.