• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

I had a little time to get a couple of things done this morning.
DSCF0001.JPG

5 days sitting, didn't want to start 46 deg. outside. Hooked it up & everything looked OK cranking. Cleaned some grounds on the firewall that shouldn't have anything to do with it but it fired right up, smooth as could be. Since I'm only doing one thing at a time trying to diagnose it, I'll let it sit for 4/5 days & see what happens.

Crummy

Got the passenger seat installed, had to modify the mount a little. Didn't think about the seat belts on the drivers side- belts for a fixed seat don't work too well with air ride- ooooof!

5 days sitting again, 40 degrees, started up no sweat. If it keeps it up the hard/no start problem was a ground (arrow in pic) coming out of the split-loom that's all lighting & trailer wires.
InkedDSCF0003_LI.jpg

Crummy

Did you say you'd already refreshed all other known ground points?
I traced & cleaned the ECM clean power from the battery. Looking at the wiring diagram, the cab ground stud shouldn't have anything to do with it so I'm a bit skeptical that is the problem.

Crummy

Monsoon rain today so I'll goof around in the shop. I found some nice aluminum scraps laying around & making up a couple of dash new panels. The stock layout was a waste of usable space- the Filter Minder was in the middle of the panel I made for the switches so I moved it over above the brake valve & added the in/out temp gauge I had. I'm debating whether I want to spiff up the polished aluminum or paint them black.
DSCF0001.JPG

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Not to criticize, but the thing that pops out at me is that all aftermarket switches are questionable to me. I would probably have figured out how to get the factory switches in the panel if they were any good. I have just had so many failures in them it looks to me like a frustration factory there when the switches start to fail.

Crummy

Not to criticize, but the thing that pops out at me is that all aftermarket switches are questionable to me. I would probably have figured out how to get the factory switches in the panel if they were any good. I have just had so many failures in them it looks to me like a frustration factory there when the switches start to fail.
No worries, I don't expect everyone to slap me on the back & tell me how awesome I am. Don't post stuff on the internet if you have a thin skin?

There's a method to my madness there and without writing a volume I'll try & explain what I'm thinking, don't have to agree with me though. I've had too many rigs that had non-factory stuff wired (scabbed) in & when something quit a lot of stuff quit and this one is a prime example- I'm chasing wiring problems everywhere that originated from the body builders. I'm slowly getting everything that is factory back where it belonged. Now all the non-factory accessories (I came up with 12 so far that should go on separate circuits- work lights L/R/Rear, strobes, crane relay, cabinet lights, doghouse lights, radio, compressor, etc.) go in that panel from a house battery. Something doesn't work no biggie, at least the truck starts on good batteries & runs, lights work, wipers work, turn signals work. I really like the Kenworth easy reach dash panel, 2 screws & tips out with switches that are easy to access & work on plus not having all the wiring involved with the column & gauge cluster.

Crummy

7 days sitting went out this morning prepared mentally for the usual & it fired right up! Hopefully that issue is behind me now.

I've got someone coming to look at the Kenworth first thing Friday morning so I hope the new drivers seat I ordered shows up before then.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I really like the Kenworth easy reach dash panel, 2 screws & tips out with switches that are easy to access & work on plus not having all the wiring involved with the column & gauge cluster.

I've repaired [minor] wiring problems on a Kenworth while driving (not on a public road), they are so easy to work on.

Crummy

The Kenworth got a new home (farm) yesterday. It sure will be nice having the shop space back.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Nice progress mate, you must be getting there on your plan, what's next?

Crummy

Nice progress mate, you must be getting there on your plan, what's next?
Clean up the shop now that all the big truck stuff will be gone, take care of a few other commitments I have the next week or so & then get into the building and rebuild the box. Lots of stuff to do there before I paint. It would probably help if I had a plan at this point instead of just winging it.

Crummy

Another 7 days sitting yesterday after I've been messing with other stuff, fired up but really rough. Shut it off after 2-3 minutes & then immediately fired it back up- perfect, smooth as silk. What the....this is driving me insane. I've got a clipboard (clipboard=old guy 'app') to log conditions & "repairs" between starts- it's not time between starts, temperature related, batteries. Thinking.....thinking....variables.....maybe cam position when it's shut down & then air intrusion? But the fuel pressures are good & steady. It may need a lot more body work when I get it in the shop since every time I go around back I want to throw a rock at it. I'll figure it out. Or not if I get really pissed & re-power it.

Crummy

Maybe my "new" mag drill will show up today, that will make me feel better. Maybe go out & drill holes in the block "take that you b***h".

ETER

I would replace replace the cam position sensor and keep the original in the glovebox (unless that proves to be the fix) and for what it costs, change out the injector o rings... both are problematic with this vintage of engine. Regards, Bob

kenh

CPS's are reasonably priced now, (the PSD version anyway)
The CPS playbook has an infinite number of tricks to entertain the operator, from going dead to random rough running to never starting on certain days!

Crummy

Helpful tip for Friday- don't put off 'till tomorrow what you should do today.
Day 3 of cleaning the entire shop. Pulled the Kenworth out & should be able to get 2 rigs in & work on them at the same time. Could barely get one in. My own fault, 15 years of "I'll put this stuff up later, for now I'll just shove it over here...". What a freakin' mess. There is stuff in there I didn't even know I had. Once that's done I should be able to really get after the service truck project.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My wife's favorite comment as to her stuff that seems to grow in place: "I will tend to it Later".

Can't stand not having my shop space, volunteered it for the house build/move but now it is time she take care of the excess crap and it sits. I have been Secretly working on the pile a little at a time it just 'Vanishes'!!