• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel surcharge???

Legdoc

Update, They are charging $1.00 per minute upon arrival to the site. Everyone should be able to make a tidy profit. But this is new here and I think it is an opportunity for the ready mix companies to screw the consumer.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
has any one ever run biofuel in a cat engine, or heard of someone trying it?

Turbo21835

has any one ever run biofuel in a cat engine, or heard of someone trying it?

last company i worked at ran biodiesel in every machine in the fleet. No real issues other than having to change filters more often and fuel waxing/gelling in extreme cold temps. I say change the filters more often because our lube guys tended not to change filters when they should have. In fact i usually ended up changing at least the pre filter on my 320clu before they would get to it. At one point the machine would hit 200 hours on a filter and would almost to the hour die out. I found that if i went to the pre filter every morning, cracked the drain on it, waited till the fuel came out pink/red. It would increase filter life to over 300 hours, even tho service should have been performed at 250 hrs

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Update, They are charging $1.00 per minute upon arrival to the site. Everyone should be able to make a tidy profit. But this is new here and I think it is an opportunity for the ready mix companies to screw the consumer.

Ain't nobody screwing nobody.
Are you sure the extra charge is upon arrival?
Doesn't sound right to me.

When I had my transfer back in the mid 80's - early 90's, we got stand by after 10 mins on the job or at the plant while hauling tonnage.
This was to protect us O/O's from loosing our tails if the plant over-trucked a job.
Upon arrival back at the plant, I'd let the scale house know that I was back in the plant.
She'd tell me to load something, I'd say "10-4" .
That's the last you'd hear from us unless the loader or scale house called.
Sometimes, we'd sit next to the pile of whatever for over an hour waiting to load.
Needless to say, Granite got the hint and switched us all back to hourly rates.
If there is ever any screwing going on, its usually the independent O/O who gets bent over the fender :eek:
:cool:

dayexco

rolloverpete, just found out that one of my son's college classmates works with granite at indio. in fact, he's driving over to vegas here for conexpo thursday or friday i think.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I feel bad for the truck owner/operators. If they dont have a fuel surcharge, or start charging a higher rate, how will they make any money?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
The local newspaper had an article about what the state was paying truck owners for snow plowing. I forget how much it was but it didn't sound like all that much, for a truck with a driver. The headline made it sound like it was just the drivers wage, you had to read nearly to the end of the article to find out it was only if they were supplying the truck, with a driver. You wouldn't believe the comments people posted about truck drivers make too much money blah, blah, blah.

petersfamilytru

Insurance nightmares

A lot of insurance companies are trying to charge a premium for additional insured endorsements... Negotiate those endorsements in when you renew and they won't be able to charge you for it. If you do a lot of different jobs, it can be a sizeable savings. You can also include hired/non-owned coverages to your policy at it's inception and save yourself the hassle of having the insurance company hold you over a barrel during the policy term.

cat320

Charter Member
So what has every one been doing now that diesel is more than anything? so is the adverage 5% onto total job.

JP'S

Occupation
owner; operator
I charge 50$ to show up. Most jobs are within 20 miles for me. All other fuel prices are rolled into equipment pricing per hour.