• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Storage

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I crawled into a beautiful, clean, 5300 gallon T11 today, in dedicated diesel service. 6mm Stainless steel.

You all know that I’m often critical of questionable, Chinese manufacturing, but Bo & Chen, in Nantong, weld one helluva tank.

Makes sense, Bo has been laying rod since he was five years old. Snake belly’s all day.
Ol’e Chen ain’t no slouch, either. That boy can stack dimes.

IMG_9609.jpeg

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Commercial use is a different story. The rules are NFPA30. UL142 spec tanks are built to NFPA30 specs.

What is the difference between single and double wall then? I see this tank is single wall but apparently is certified to the UL142 standard:

When is a double walled tank required?

I mean, up to this point I always double the grocery bags when I use them to haul fuel to my excavator. I am excited to learn that maybe I could economize and just use single bags, I could haul much more fuel. There would be room in the car for more if the kids carried bags on their laps . . .

Oxbow

On one of our projects there was a requirement to construct a temporary fuel containment area for fuel storage, even if it was on wheels. This would have involved excavating a mild pit, putting a liner down, covering with gravel, etc. I found this tank used and presented it to the engineers as a possible option to the containment.
1709215548204.jpeg

The engineers accepted the alternative and I headed to Denver and bought it. $3000 plus the trip to go get it. No idea what they cost new.

It has a steel tank with some sort of membrane liner outside of the tank, and encased it concrete. We have taken it to several projects since then and the first one paid for it, so it has been a good solution for us.

About the only problem is it weighs 18,000 lbs. empty.

Coaldust

Occupation
What is the difference between single and double wall then? I see this tank is single wall but apparently is certified to the UL142 standard:

When is a double walled tank required?

I mean, up to this point I always double the grocery bags when I use them to haul fuel to my excavator. I am excited to learn that maybe I could economize and just use single bags, I could haul much more fuel. There would be room in the car for more if the kids carried bags on their laps . . .

The difference being the single wall would need containment to be a true 142 installation. My guess.

IceHole

On tank subject, there a good source for 3 or 4" tank caps?

My tank has a "standard" 2" cap and I keep being told it's small and makes it a bit hard to fill.

It's a 4" pipe that has a 4" to 3" reducer, then a 3" to 2" bushing.

Used to be like 3ft tall, I cut the 4" pipe down.

20240229_105639.jpg

Coaldust

Occupation
I like to use these Dixon PC-SS series transport caps. They are straight pipe and seal with a teflon gasket. You can leash them, too. They seal good without the need to torque down tapered threads. Easy to remove. I purchase them from Werts Welding in Billings. They can ship usps priority flat rate box since they are next door to the post office.

Stainless, aluminum or brass. Other companies besides Dixon, too.

Or, get a #150 black pipe cap from Amazon for $25 free shipping. The pipe place in ANC hates dealing with onesies & twosie orders and will rape you psychologically, economically and spiritually.

IMG_9615.jpeg

.RC.

I find it interesting the different things done in different countries.

Over here you can get plastic diesel fuel storage tanks, and plenty of people use small plastic diesel cartage tanks in the back of their work vehicle to fill up their machine.

Coaldust

Occupation
I find it interesting the different things done in different countries.

Over here you can get plastic diesel fuel storage tanks, and plenty of people use small plastic diesel cartage tanks in the back of their work vehicle to fill up their machine.

Yes, that is interesting. Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Took me awhile to figure out what continent you are on. That’s what I like about the HEF.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
I just had to have my furnace oil tank removed. Insurance company said 10 years and it had to go or they would cancel my house insurance. Couldn't remove it myself even though I worked around diesel equipment for 40 years. Had to be done by the furnace service guys with a invoice to prove it. $525 later. This tank was only 100 gallons was sitting in a containment tray and had a ball valve on the vent to prevent it from "breathing" warm moist air in the off season and getting condensation in it which of coarse causes corrosion. Got a heat pump now. Best thing since sliced bread and no worries about a multi thousands of dollars clean up bill not to mention the possibility of my well or my neighbors well getting contaminated. Insurance company did me a favor I guess. d.d.

IceHole

I just had to have my furnace oil tank removed. Insurance company said 10 years and it had to go or they would cancel my house insurance. Couldn't remove it myself even though I worked around diesel equipment for 40 years. Had to be done by the furnace service guys with a invoice to prove it. $525 later. This tank was only 100 gallons was sitting in a containment tray and had a ball valve on the vent to prevent it from "breathing" warm moist air in the off season and getting condensation in it which of coarse causes corrosion. Got a heat pump now. Best thing since sliced bread and no worries about a multi thousands of dollars clean up bill not to mention the possibility of my well or my neighbors well getting contaminated. Insurance company did me a favor I guess. d.d.
So you had a pressure vessel with no relief?

I'd have fired the insurance company. They work for you, not the other way around.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I don't know what the rules require but you want to take every precaution to avoid an uncontrolled leak. Cleanup costs are astronomical!

I'm not sure if this is a state or federal law, but if you have a combined amount of 1000 gallons or more on one location there's a bunch of paperwork involved in keeping logs, the theory being if numbers don't match you go looking for a leak. I'm in NY, not sure it applies elsewhere.

IceHole

I don't know what the rules require but you want to take every precaution to avoid an uncontrolled leak. Cleanup costs are astronomical!

I'm not sure if this is a state or federal law, but if you have a combined amount of 1000 gallons or more on one location there's a bunch of paperwork involved in keeping logs, the theory being if numbers don't match you go looking for a leak. I'm in NY, not sure it applies elsewhere.
Don't think that's a thing here.
At one job i work, we have 3 tanks, they are 3k gallon each I believe. Double wall though, but nothing special done to them.
They aren't even placarded.