• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel Injection Pump Timing Question

Goose

Dont worry to much about the blowby. The older Case engines301,336,401 and 504s have more blowby than other engines. I have rebuilt alot of these engines and some had about as much blowby after the rebuilding and the breakin as they did before the rebuild. As long as it is running good and strong run it until you get get real bored and need something to keep you out of trouble.

Tinkerer

thepumpguysc, Thanks for the good job compliment. But it was the result of your excellent injector pump overhaul, and the much needed timing degree info Goose provided. And everyone else who took the time to help me. Actually the machine is real strong. It will spin the tires when loading out of a pile. It doesn't use a lot of oil, but the exhaust has a small amount of white smoke. If Goose says that is pretty typical of that engine then the bottom end rebuild sure isn't a priority.
I was just a little worried that with the compression that low, the crankshaft bearings may have have a lot of wear on them also. Even though it holds 42 PSI at idle.

Localmotion

Injector Pump Leaking

Hi all

I got a diesel problem on my case CK28 excavator, which is fitted with a Kubota engine.

The fuel pump is leaking around the top of the injector, but I can't tell if it is the collar (below the split to the injector lines) or actually leaking around the base plate of the injector (where it meets the top of the pump using torque bolts).

Please take a look at this video of it...

YouTube - Leaking Kubota Injector

I've got two main questions:

1 - Is it possible to losen the collar from the base plate and if so does this affect timing?

2 - If I remove the torque bolts holding the base plant to the pump, will it affect the pump timing, and if so is there an easy way of retiming the pump afterwards?

Must admit to being a bit out of my depth here, but really need the machine back to work asap, and being in Spain we don't have any Kubota industrial engine workshops nearby.

Any help / tips / advice greatfully received.

Cheers, Ian. :drinkup

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
HI LM and welcome..First, your "Injection PUMP" is leaking.. At either the "delivery valve holder" OR/AND the "barrel flange"...My guess is BOTH, once one o'ring gets hard, the others follow..
I dont know how YOU would go about fixing them, seeing you need a special tamperproof torx bit to remove the flange hold down screw..BUT if you were so inclined to try>> Take a scribe or any small sharp object and trace around each barrel flange{marking,scratching the housing} KEEP EACH BARREL WITH THE SAME HOLE, THEY ARE MATED..DO 1 AT A TIME..Replace the o'rings and put back in the same position{scribe mark}.
Now do the "delivery valve holder" orings..1 AT A TIME..They torque to 30-35 INCH LBS..Once you loosen the dv holder you will find a spring and a peg..DONT LOOSE THEM..
OR you can remove the whole pump and take it to the closest pump shop..You dont have to take it to a Kubota dealer>>he's just going to sell you a NEW PUMP or take it to the pump shop and mark-up the cost....
Removal is VERY easy..Remove the lines and hoses..Remove the 4 allen screws {5mm} and lift-up slowly. Unhook the rack linkage and you have yourself 1 leaking IP in your hand.. You MIGHT have to remove the intake/exhaust pipe to gain access to the back allen screws..
I have a list of pump shops world wide..if you need help finding 1, let me know.. TPG

Localmotion

Thanks TPG... If you can let know of a pump shop near Alicante, Spain it would be really appreciated :)

Think I will follow your and others advice and leave it to the experts!

Ian.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Probably the best idea I'v heard ALL DAY...3 "authorized" shops in Barcelona..thats it for Spain...Sorry..hope that helps...I can email you the address and ph#'s if it will help..
I'll BET the locals know where to go!!?? YOU SABY CHICO??

96_Bear

Hello everyone, Newbie here. I am glad to find such a large forum and hate to drag up such an old post, but I am hoping Goose will read this and as I get back into heavy equipment I will have more to contribute. I am trying to verify that my Case 680CK would have the BTDC the same as in this post for my 301B. I have just got to getting the machine running after rebuilding the engine 6 years ago. I can get the old girl to run with a little ether and am thinking I must have the injection pump out of time is all I can figure. Am hoping I can PM after I get more post. Thanks

Tinkerer

Welcome to HEF 96_Bear. I hope Goose reads this also but, he hasn't posted anything since last September. In regards to timing your 301B, they are all the same. 31degrees. The injector pump itself can be rotated to change the timing a small amount. Did you have the injector pump off of the engine ? How extensive was the rebuild on the motor ? Did you have the injectors pop tested ? Is the electric fuel lift pump working ? Did you put fresh fuel in it ? You should not need or be using ether in this weather to get it started.

96_Bear

Thanks for the welcome Tinkerer, this was a complete out of frame rebuild. Had the crank re-welded on the journal that was wiped, and everything was check to see what needed replaced. The pump was removed and tested only. The machine had about 6000 hours on and is a 1973. The injectors were tested back 6 years, motor was assembled and install but has been sitting for 6 years. I lubed everything with lithium and would rotate engine to keep from seizing again. A local diesel mechanic stopped by and had me crank to hear it, then said to shoot some ether to her and said it sure sounds good when she is running on ether, He believes pump is outta time so I am trying to figure out how to rotate engine to get on tdc to see if marks are lining up. i cant get to the flywheel or crank to rotate this thing with the hydro pump on.

Tinkerer

All of the timing information you need is in this thread. keep in mind there are two different places that have timing marks. Set the crankshaft damper at 31º BTDC. Then make sure the timing marks on the injector pump are spot on. That is step #18 in the service manual page that I posted earlier in this thread. Remove the pipe plug on the timing cover to get access to them. To rotate the engine first thing to do is pull out the fuel shut off cable so it will not start. If the fan belts are tight enough you should be able to rotate the crankshaft. It takes some time because of the high compression you have with that new overhaul. i would remove the front valve cover and verify the valve lifters are loose on #1 piston when you get it to 0º TDC. Then rotate it to 31º.

96_Bear

Got her to fire up after a 2 second burst of ether and if I hold the pedal at half throttle she will run with a little miss and a almost backfire sound at around an 6 to 8 second interval, and she wont take any more than fuel to raise RPM after half throttle. So now I`m wondering if it just fine tuning or just go ahead and pull valve cover and quadruple check everything again? I am also wondering if I should just keep running her to get things seated in then start adjusting timing. It will rough idle for about a minute on its own after I let off the throttle. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Tinkerer

Recheck the timing first and make sure it is 100% like I described. The next thing is to remove the primary fuel filter and look for an O ring that resides on top of the filter when it is installed. It will be #7 in the drawing. If it isn't there your problem will be resolved when you install one. There is no O ring on the secondary filter.
Did you re-torque the head bolts the way it is described in the service manual ? That is very important even though it will not have any effect on the symptoms you are having. BUT after doing that check and reset the valve lash on all the cylinders. These two steps really need to be done.

Attachments

• filter (398 x 392).jpg
    filter (398 x 392).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

96_Bear

Recheck the timing first and make sure it is 100% like I described. The next thing is to remove the primary fuel filter and look for an O ring that resides on top of the filter when it is installed. It will be #7 in the drawing. If it isn't there your problem will be resolved when you install one. There is no O ring on the secondary filter.
Did you re-torque the head bolts the way it is described in the service manual ? That is very important even though it will not have any effect on the symptoms you are having. BUT after doing that check and reset the valve lash on all the cylinders. These two steps really need to be done.

Check the timing and found it spot on, Got the o-ring on the filter. Looks like we have the same service manual, and supplemental book with exploded view of everything also. I think I just have to adjust the throttle linkages and get the pump fine tuned. It will start and run once warm and throttle is still spotty and lagging leading me to believe that once all the air is out, pump adjusted right she should be good to go! Will post when I get back to it on Tuesday to make the adjustments. Thank Tinkerer for the time your spending helping out with this!

96_Bear

Hey Tinkerer sorry so long to get back on here. Got the hoe running good, I tore it all the way down on Tuesday and found that what I thought was 30 deg was actually 0! The pulley was so hard to see I finally had to use marker to highlight the numbers and once I got the crank right, found injector was almost one bolt hole out of time. So right now I am a degree or two out, will rotate the pump once I get the air brake actuators free so I can stop without throw the air off on the parking brakes. I wouldn't have figured it out if I didn't come back to the post and reread yours to double check my double check lol. Once I got it right before I finished pressing the starter button the old gal fired right up! Now just a few air leaks and those pesky actuators I will have her ready to work! Does anyone know if the back throttle lever will kill the motor as if i pulled the stop cable, when its shut all the way down?

Tinkerer

Glad to hear you got it figured out Bear. Yes those timing marks are very hard to see on the crankshaft damper. What do you mean by air brake actuators ? The treadle valves that are operated by your feet ? Or the brake chambers that are under the deck ? You cannot stop the motor by closing the hand throttle that is back by the hoe controls.

96_Bear

Yes treadle valves, unable to get them to move, everything is working great once I release the brakes there isn't any movement other other than the pedal. Going to try to remove them and see if I can revive them save some money.