• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fuel containment

russ61

Occupation
screw machine shop supervisor
Hi guys,I work in a large machine shop .Our insurance company is requiring that we store all our oil outside the building in a double wall tank,approx 500 gallons on site. I was thinking of the portable fuel tanks used at road construction sites and wondering if this would meet thier requirements. Could anybody point me in the right direction for something like this?
Thanks Russ

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Get exactly what the insurance company calls out. If the containment system does not meet their specs, and you have a failure, they probably will not cover since it is not to their specs...

There was a fellow here a few years ago that went broke since the insurance company would not cover his failure, he did not meet specs, gotta love them for their fine print.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From my experience containment can take 2 forms. A double walled tank like the one you mention, or a containment wall/structure enclosing a volume that is 110% of the capacity of the largest tank that it encloses. If you have a single tank the double-walled tank is the cheaper option. Multiple tanks and you would be better off building a containment structure. Both methods meet all applicable environmental standards AFAIK. I can't see how an insurance company could insist on one option in preference to the other so long as whatever was put in place met all applicable standards TBH.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The site fuel tank I use is double walled and meets all our environmental regulations. Several times I have had the site super or the environment inspector ask why we don't have a berm around the tank and I tell them it's double walled with all the appropriate tags/labels. That usually suffices but sometimes they'll take a look and see that it does meet specs.

A double wall tank should meet the requirements of what you need but I don't know the specific regulations you fall under.