• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Frozen pin that wont take grease.

mbrmbr

Hello, the caterpilar I am working on has been kept up well, however there is 1 pin that will not take grease (see picture). It squeaks loud and there is a **** ton of play in the bushing (since it has not been greased for many years)

The pin shifted all the way to the left, and froze in that position. I think that because of it shifting so far to the left, it cut off the grease ports. So...

I have done the following so far
  1. used a grease fitting rejuvenator which did not work.
  2. used a sledge hammer to try and shift over the pin (when in a position with no weight on the pin)
  3. used a press on the pin with a lot of force, while moving the boom. Even though the pin had a ton of play in that process, it still did not shift over.
  4. used a press and hammered the pin and it still did not move

im out of ideas and need some experienced help please. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation, if so, what is your opinion on this matter?

924g.jpg

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum mbrmbr. :usa

Well, it's just my opinion, but if that pin connection has "a ton of play", then not taking grease is the least of your problems, you better knock that pin out and replace pin and related bushings. Otherwise, you're likely to damage more expensive components, such as the link or pin weldments. :)

CAT793

Can NEVER recover the Wear BUT:- Hook up a Enerpac Pump, Wind the Relief up to MAX and apply Hydraulic Pressure to the Grease Port and stay out of the line of Fire!!

mbrmbr

Can NEVER recover the Wear BUT:- Hook up a Enerpac Pump, Wind the Relief up to MAX and apply Hydraulic Pressure to the Grease Port and stay out of the line of Fire!!

I can purchase the hand operated one, do you have any suggestions on where to get all the tubing and fittings?

tctractors

That pin needs sucking out, I would remove the bucket tip ram rod end pin and support ram weight on timber lashing it with straps etc to the loader frame, then hook up a pull lift to keep control of the linkage, then press out the knackered pin, there looks like some heavy linkage to be carefull of in that beast.
tctractors

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
I side with Willy.
That pin and bushings need replacing,besides the obvious non greasable condition, if that pin finally gives out(and no telling when) it can cause a pile of damage or kill some one in the process.

mbrmbr

Just a silly question,how is the pin held in place?

Is it a flag and bolt style,or is there a retaining pin you're missing there?

It has a C clip that wraps around the far end.

I side with Willy.
That pin and bushings need replacing,besides the obvious non greasable condition, if that pin finally gives out(and no telling when) it can cause a pile of damage or kill some one in the process.

The pin is 3.5 inches thick,,, it does not have that much play. However I do understand that there is risks.

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Well,big pins can break too.it's all relative to the load on them.
You say you can knock the pin only part ways out,I think the bushing might be seized to the pin and butts out against the pin hole.
That could take some serious pressure to get that pin out!..'t might need a big zip disc to slice the pin off both sides between the links.

tctractors

CAT pins often have a thread tapped into 1 end to allow for a bit of hydraulic assistance??? the important thing is to get any weight off the pin joint, so a bit more of a strip down would be the way to go.

MTI Mark

Let me ask you something.... do you intend on taking the pin out , or just trying to get it to take grease?
If trying to grease only... Do as someone suggested and plumb an ener-pac up to it, pump it up , and if needed heat the pin as best you can while keeping pressure on it. It sounds like you have tried everything else.
If removing the pin, and absolutely can not get it to move, there is an acetylene torch attachment, I forget what it is called, that uses a long hollow rod you "push" through your pin to cut it out. Long dragged out process, but will alow you to cut the pin out from the end, rather than trying to cut between the arms and risk arm or boom damage.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
On the center pin on our 518 compactor froze up. I have a grease gun that has a hook in the bottom with the bottom cut out. I put about a 1/2 inch pool of penetrating oil in it and pump. It will break though pretty Quickly.