• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

From Tacoma: Luzon coming down Saturday AM

Good idea to wreck the historic Luzon building?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolf

They this got going Saturday morning early. They are pulling it down from the front on Pacific Avenue side and trying to save some of the steel cross beams that are the historic elements because they were the cutting edge technology when the building was built in the 1890s. They are using a 155 foot high reach. The reporter said the Wm. Dickson Co. has the job and looks to be working really carefully. We shall see.

Tacoma, WA - Saturday, September 26, 2009

Last-minute hope: Attorneys searching for judge to halt demolition

A desperate effort to save the Luzon from demolition continued into the night Friday.
At least two Tacoma attorneys worked to find a Pierce County Superior Court judge to issue a temporary restraining order that would prevent destruction of the 119-year-old building, which was set to begin this morning.

“This is not the normal course of business,” said lawyer Jack Connelly at 8:45 p.m. “Normally you’d want to go into the courthouse and set up a hearing where everyone would argue their position.”

“There’s not a textbook that tells us what to do in this circumstance,” he said.

Connelly said the issue surrounds whether the building is a safety hazard, since a report exists from a Seattle engineer that implies otherwise.

Efforts to save the six-story building at South 13th Street and Pacific Avenue were renewed Friday morning after a local developer tried to coordinate the transfer of the building to a state historic preservation group, and then plan for the Luzon’s shoring and rehabilitation.

But a team put together by Grace Pleasants, which included that report from the Seattle engineer, failed to convince city officials that they could quickly remove the risk of the Luzon’s collapse.

“This is not about me and my company and what we do, this is about saving a historic building,” Pleasants said.

After a 50-minute meeting Friday morning at the Municipal Building, City Manager Eric Anderson was unconvinced that a plan existed to mitigate the danger, and he confirmed that demolition would start at 7 a.m. today.

“From what I’ve heard so far, I don’t see how we don’t go forward tomorrow,” Anderson told the group Friday. “My legal charge is health and safety. My personal preference is for preservation, but if someone is damaged by the building if it falls, that’s no defense for me.”

Mayor Bill Baarsma said Friday afternoon that the die is cast.

“I think (Anderson’s) made up his mind and he feels he’s doing the right thing and that’s what he’s paid to do,” Baarsma said. “If I were to make the call, I’d wait. I’d get some more information to see if in fact there was a way to stabilize the building. But I understand how (the city manager) system (of government) works and where he’s coming from.”

But Friday night, Connelly and mayoral candidate Jim Merritt’s campaign manager, Ronnie Bush, said Baarsma was trying to coordinate City Council members to provide political pressure to stop the demolition.

Attempts to reach Baarsma later Friday were unsuccessful.

The other attorney working on the issue is Jim Bush, who is married to Ronnie Bush.

Ronnie Bush said Baarsma called her and asked if there was anything Merritt could do to prevent the razing. Bush and Connelly said they were calling judges all evening.

“We have two attorneys who are willing to meet tonight at midnight,” she said. “One of the judges who looks like he will (agree to hear the case) has a function that ends at 10 p.m. This particular judge is a real hometown person.”

Ronnie Bush said Merritt, through friends, got the cell phone number of the president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, though it was unclear if any conversation occurred.

Bush said Merritt was upset by the news that the demolition was moving forward. “I have never seen him as upset as he was,” she said. “He couldn’t go on campaigning when he heard.”

The other candidate for mayor, city councilwoman Marilyn Strickland, said Friday night that she would have several questions about any 11th-hour plan to save the Luzon.

“What we can’t afford to do is compromise public safety and put the city in the position to spend funds we don’t have,” she said.

At Friday morning’s meeting, Pleasants’ team was represented by Stuart Young of the architecture firm BCRA. He presented information from a Seattle-based engineer that the building was not in imminent danger of collapse and could be shored up within four to six weeks, then rehabilitated at some point.

At the meeting were Young, Anderson, city building and land use chief Charlie Solverson, city engineer Jim Parvey, historic preservation consultant Michael Sullivan and city economic development official Elly Walkowiak.

The city announced last week that the brick building, abandoned and open to the elements for years, must be razed to protect the public. An engineering report showed bulging walls, broken beams and collapsed floors inside the building.

The Luzon has housed a bank, a Chinese restaurant and an arcade among other businesses. It was designed by famed Chicago architects Daniel Burnham and John Root, and it is one of two Burnham & Root structures remaining on the West Coast. Its internal metal structure was an early precursor to modern skyscraper construction methods.

During the discussion, Anderson expressed frustration about the recent history of the building.

“I wish there were representatives of two to three other people here,” he said. “One would be those who have owned it for years and didn’t do a … thing.”

The Gintz Group, which owns the building, bought it two years ago with plans to save it by remodeling it into office and retail space, but tenants needed to secure financing never emerged. Then Gintz and Tacoma contractor Igor Kunitsa were unable to work out the details of a building rehabilitation plan in the last several weeks that satisfied the city.

Now the city will put a lien on the property to recover the cost of the demolition, estimated to be around $600,000.

Ron Gintz, chief operating officer of the Gintz Group, did not return a call for comment Friday.

At Friday’s meeting, Young presented a letter from the Gintz Group, agreeing to deed the building to the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation for $10. Young also had a letter from Terry Lundeen, a principal at Seattle engineering firm Coughlin Porter Lundeen.

Baarsma said part of that letter read:

“In the absence of a significant environmental event, such as a moderate to large earthquake or an extreme snowfall, the exterior of the building does not appear to be an imminent collapse hazard that would endanger the general public.”

Anderson said he understood there would be a second letter from an engineering firm agreeing with Lundeen’s conclusions, but Young said he did not have it, though someone from Swenson Say Fagét did agree.

In an interview Friday morning with The News Tribune, Young said Swenson Say Fagét engineer Ryan Reichman thinks the building can be saved.

It was Reichman who prepared an assessment for the city on July 1 that concluded that the Luzon was a “life safety hazard” in its current condition and recommended that the building be braced.

Attachments

• luzon.jpg
    luzon.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 947

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The building is on a steep hill side with a brick facade. I appears some of the bricks have fallen out of the side of the building and they have closed the street on the west side because of it. On the up hill south side of the street is a real fancy hotel. There is a parking lot on the east side that is boarded up so no one can get in.

I don't have a photo of the building but it looks like it could fall down at any moment. It has survived serveral earthquakes but if there is structural damage inside it really could drop at any moment.

All this motion in the courts though has me puzzled. It has not hit the main stream media much up here. That is probably a good thing. Notice the people making the stink know nothing of construction or business.

Thanks for the update Wolf.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed

Attachments

• luzon 01.jpg
    luzon 01.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 621
  • luzon 02.jpg
    luzon 02.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 624

Wawrecker

I use to play here as a kid.These were taken from Google earth.
first one is from Pacific Ave. directly kiddie corner from the building. the second one is from up 13th. corner of Broadway and 13th.
I dont know if this wil work but here is a link to Google earth location.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/postcatcher.php?PostWizardFile=20090927074802-4abf7b220f7924.99362771

PS I don't see any trees here worth licking.

Thats because the trees are on the inside of the building, no joke. I spent a lot of time on this building last Winter putting together a selective demo bid that never happened. I say "Good ridence!"

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Unless someone is going to pay allot of money to restore it, and stabilize it, I don't see why it can't come to the ground anyway, might as well do it safely then possibly having it fall down on something, or someone.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The news video showed Dickson got the job and used a long reach with some sort of grapple. The building pretty much crumbled whenever the grapple grabbed something.

It's gone now.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Too add to my statement, I would rather see something there helping our economy then a rickety old building anyway.

Tearing it down = Jobs
Building something = Jobs
Complete Building = Business(es) = Jobs

--

John, where is the news video you saw? I would be interested to see it.

LONGREACH

Wm. Dickson Co. was low bidder, however R.W. Rhine Inc. demolished the building as Dickson was incapable of doing it.

Wolf

Rhine

Wm. Dickson Co. was low bidder, however R.W. Rhine Inc. demolished the building as Dickson was incapable of doing it.

I noticed the equipment all said Rhine and they quoted Joel in one place. Why was Dickson incapable of doing it? Did they do any work on the job, or just crap out altogether?

Wolf

Tearing it down = Jobs

[-Agent-];185872 said:
Too add to my statement, I would rather see something there helping our economy then a rickety old building anyway.

Tearing it down = Jobs
Building something = Jobs
Complete Building = Business(es) = Jobs

--

In this economy, jobs are very important. It was in pretty bad shape.

Wolf

I use to play here as a kid.These were taken from Google earth.
first one is from Pacific Ave. directly kiddie corner from the building. the second one is from up 13th. corner of Broadway and 13th.
I dont know if this wil work but here is a link to Google earth location.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/postcatcher.php?PostWizardFile=20090927074802-4abf7b220f7924.99362771

PS I don't see any trees here worth licking.

Cool pictures. It looks like everything else around it was torn down already.

Dualie

Knock it down then apologies later, that thing was going to come down on your terms or its own terms.

surfer-joe

Those that wish to preserve old buildings -- need to show up with the cash needed to renovate or rebuild. No dipping into the public till.

JDOFMEMI

It seems to me that those who want to "save" these old buildings only show up when they are slated to be torn down. If they showed up sooner, and with money in hand, the building would not have gotten to the point it needed torn down.
The leaf licker crowd would like to save everything as it is, and do it all with other peoples money.
I am a part of this "other people" group, and I don't think money should be wasted on saving things that are past their useful life.

Wolf

Right on, Dualie.

Knock it down then apologies later, that thing was going to come down on your terms or its own terms.

Right on, Dualie. Just get it down on the ground, then worry about what people are going to say, or not. Buy a beer for the guy who got it on the ground while everyone else was sitting around whining about the loss of the historic building. LOL.

Dualie

I'm working on a "restoration" right now. originally built in 1910 as a salt water public swimming pool. WHAT A GIANT PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!!!

its work right now so i cant complain but for the work and money their dumping into this old rotted POS they could have built a new modern state of the art swimming facility.

Completely jaded me to anything Old or historic. makes me want to find some old buildings and buy them just to tear em down.

im a sub of a sub and they "forgot" to mention till after i started the job that its a Prevailing wage job. lets just say our contract got renegotiated QUICKLY.

Wolf

I'm working on a "restoration" right now. originally built in 1910 as a salt water public swimming pool. WHAT A GIANT PAIN IN THE AZZ!!!!!

its work right now so i cant complain but for the work and money their dumping into this old rotted POS they could have built a new modern state of the art swimming facility.

Completely jaded me to anything Old or historic. makes me want to find some old buildings and buy them just to tear em down.

im a sub of a sub and they "forgot" to mention till after i started the job that its a Prevailing wage job. lets just say our contract got renegotiated QUICKLY.

Where is that old swimming pool, and what is the point in saving it? Just sounds so crazy. Maybe you could "accidentally" trash it so that they could build a new one. LOL.