• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Friction Crane Boom Down Issues-Again....

alskdjfhg

Mid 70's 40ton P&H.

Working on blowing the cobwebs out of this thing and turning it into a useful piece of equipment.

Yesterday I started braking the boom down in order to get it moved over to the shop. Once we got it down to the boom heel, went to boom down into the transport cradle, and it wouldn't do it. I got boom up, and even when I push the boom control lever for boom down, it booms up.

Had this problem when I first got it, hung the main hook block off the boom heel and that was enough weight for boom down to work. Tried that yesterday and added two, 200lbs balls, no difference, still only booms up.

When I shut the crane down for the day; with the machine dead, I set the boom dog, and moved the boom control lever for boom down. Boom hoist payed out a little and stopped by the dog.

So what do the experts think? More weight tip on boom or some other issue? All other functions work great, but boom down has always been a little temperamental even with boom assembled.

Picture shows me hanging one of the 200lbs balls, nobody call OSHA, it wasn't as bad as it looks.

WP952017072395015.jpg

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
No expert here, but it sounds like you have sticky clutches, Shoes or Discs? The boom heel doesn't put a lot of weight on the line to the drum, so a bit of clutch drag will keep it from going down. Next time don't dog it just shut down and let it out. When you have all the boom connected it should clear up unless the clutch is packed full of greasy goo.

alskdjfhg

It's got shoes all around.

I guess more weight is the ticket, there already probably close to 1000lbs on there already. Granted that's nothing compared to the load the hoist would see at a 100% lift, but I wanted to double check before I started adding more.

It's got power boom down, so with the engine dead I don't think it will let the boom winch pay out very far.

crane operator

I think rz has got it for you. The boom should be just gravity/free fall down, but if the clutch is hanging up a little, it would go up with the boom down lever like you're describing. You don't need more weight, as much as you need to get the clutch adjusted right. When it has the boom on it, there is enough resistance/ weight to "slip" the clutch. Without the extra weight, it drags/grabs enough to raise the boom. If you're just setting it in the rest, you can shut down the engine, like rz said, and just use your brake to slow it down into the rest.

alskdjfhg

If you're just setting it in the rest, you can shut down the engine, like rz said, and just use your brake to slow it down into the rest.

That would work, but I have no brake on the boom. Just the boom control lever, I have foot brakes for the two main winches, but not for the boom.

And yeah, your right about needing to adjust the boom clutch.

Wish I have some literature on it, but seems to be hard to fine stuff about old P&H's.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That would work, but I have no brake on the boom. Just the boom control lever, I have foot brakes for the two main winches, but not for the boom.

And yeah, your right about needing to adjust the boom clutch.

Wish I have some literature on it, but seems to be hard to fine stuff about old P&H's.
Does your machine have a torque convertor or a Rockford type clutch on the engine? Recheck your boom hoist drum, I'm betting it has a brake. Power down is not having the drum shove rope out to lower the boom, It's a sprag clutch on the mainshaft that only allows the drum pay out line as fast as the mainshaft allows. So it could be the torque that's hanging you up too. When you get multi part lines with no weight on them ... odd stuff happens.
Got a customer with a 150K LB well service rig using a Link-Belt hoist works, 8 part line with a 500Lb block, lifts 20' at a time. I can pull that block up by hand on the load line. If his clutch drags in the least the block is stuck at the top. Shut the engine down, release the brake and down it comes.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I second what RZucker said. But there's one other possible cause. If I remember right P&Hs of that era had hydraulic controls, with master and wheel cylinders just like the ones in a car. I remember there was constant brake fluid leaks, I am thinking maybe the slave cylinder is sticking? Or maybe the pins in the boom hoist friction need lubrication, and are not letting it disengage?

alskdjfhg

Does your machine have a torque convertor or a Rockford type clutch on the engine?

No torque converter, very stiff foot clutch.

It does have a brake, but I have no control over it. It's actuated automatically with the boom control.

I second what RZucker said. But there's one other possible cause. If I remember right P&Hs of that era had hydraulic controls, with master and wheel cylinders just like the ones in a car.

Yup that's how it's set up. I checked the fluids, but i'll double check.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
No torque converter, very stiff foot clutch.

It does have a brake, but I have no control over it. It's actuated automatically with the boom control.

Yup that's how it's set up. I checked the fluids, but i'll double check.
OK... How does the boom control run the brake? Pull back to lift, and push forward to lower? Hydraulic control both directions? You should have control of that hoist brake in one way or another.

alskdjfhg

OK... How does the boom control run the brake? Pull back to lift, and push forward to lower? Hydraulic control both directions? You should have control of that hoist brake in one way or another.

Running on memory right now, so this may be all wrong.

Pull the boom lever back (boom up), brake releases and clutch applies. Push boom lever forward, brake releases and also releases a dog. Not the boom dog, that's separate. This dog releases when booming down otherwise it's engaged all the time.

I'll try to get a picture of this so it'll make more sense.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Running on memory right now, so this may be all wrong.

Pull the boom lever back (boom up), brake releases and clutch applies. Push boom lever forward, brake releases and also releases a dog. Not the boom dog, that's separate. This dog releases when booming down otherwise it's engaged all the time.

I'll try to get a picture of this so it'll make more sense.
That is making sense now. One lever control.

alskdjfhg

If you're power boom down, how is it switching directions?

When booming down that "overrun clutch dog" releases, and so does the brake.

Never really understood what power boom down meant, but what RZrucker said (and it makes sense), power down just keeps me from booming down too fast.

Everything else on this machine is simple as dirt, only the boom hoist is kinda confusing and gives me trouble.

Next need to find out how the clutches are supposed to be adjusted. Super easy to adjust them, I just would like to know how tell they are set right.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You have most of it right. The overrun clutch slips when you boom up, and locks the drum to the mainshaft when you boom down. There should be an idler gear between the overrunning clutch gear on the mainshaft that allows for reverse rotation to boom down. A lot of older machines that had power load lowering had linkage to disconnect that idler for free drop applications like draglining.
Also in your case when you are setting the boom heel in the rest, you can use the foot clutch to release the mainshaft to allow freedrop when you release the brake.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Operator4100

Your boom hoist clutch is a little to tight sounds like, pull the seat out and lay down in there and check the clearance between clutch and drum all the way around. If its to tight you wont be able to knuckle it in, the lever that is but it does take quiet a bit of force too. same thing on the boom down side, have someone push on the lever and see if the brake is releasing you can see it move just a little, don't forget those dogs down there their is 2of them they have to be free sliding on the shaft that they ride on or they wont work they catch the planetary drum when you boom down, I'm not talking about the manual dog you'll see them while your down there looking, Help any way I can, take care and be care full, DW
Also last thing we always did was lower the rear gantry after the boom dismantled