• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Forklifts and their ratings. tricky lifting.... Nissan F05, anyone have one?

fastline

Trying to move some industrial machines. One weighs 16,500. About the only lift I can get is a 16K though I lookup the specs and actually says 15,400, NOT 16K. However, I know these are rated at 24" load centers in which these machines rarely would have load center that close.

I am curious if on these newer lifts if the book specs are dead on or if there is maybe 1000-2000 extra in there like some of the older lifts? I do NOT need to move an inch, just lift vertical, move the trailer, lower it. At that point, we can employ skates to aid in positioning.

We can lift on the other side of machine too but running out of room quickly.

BillG

Does it have sideshift or fork positioners, if so that would be the difference in lift capacity. Due to the load center being shifted slightly forward the load capacity drops. Although I would have suspected a little more on this size machine. As far as cheating on the capacity goes, on older trucks you could get under a heavier load and tilt back to get it off the floor. This doesn't work with the newer ones, the valving on both the tilt and lift is designed to prevent overloading or cheating on the load center. manufacturers were pretty much forced into this because of many accidents and federal and insurance regulations. Could you raise the machine and put it on skates to move it out and use two smaller lifts to raise it?

fastline

We are installing the machine. The main issue is lack of room for two forks.

Is the F05 new enough to all the safety BS to keep it from accepting some overload?

fastline

That is a good question. We would be renting it so I neglected to ask but I know the new models are not the F05. I cannot find much info online about them. It is the F05H70 which is 7000kg. I am still trying to learn is the side shift was std equip. The dealer said "16K cap" but I have not seen that value anywhere and I think he is full of ****. If it is a 7000kg WITHOUT side shift, then it may only be less than 15K.

I did determine the load center may be close at around 30" when lifting the back. It could be close.

ValleyFirewood

once lifted just under 6000lbs of ammo with a 4,000lb rated forklift, 2011 year model Hyster 60
Was a long day, thought we had a 6k out on the job.

Picked it up fine, was just floating the steer tires when I realized what was going on.

I had never deliberately tried to overload one before, but had always been told they wouldn't lift much more than rated.

So.... That Nissan "may" lift it. Safe? Probably not.

Last edited:

BillG

I know that 6" doesn't sound like much but the load center shift when compared to lift capacity is quite a bit. If I were you I would find out from the manufacturer (if possible) what the center of gravity on the machine is and then get a guarantee from the rental company that their machine will do the job. This way you are cya in case something happens. It's difficult to recommend anything when I don't know all of the particulars.

BillG

once lifted just under 6000lbs of ammo with a 4,000lb rated forklift, 2011 year model Hyster 60
Was a long day, thought we had a 6k out on the job.
Picked it up fine, was just floating the steer tires when I realized what was going on.

We once lifted a 50,000 lb machine with a 30,000 lb forklift (30 years ago) would I do it today? Nope, as Clint Eastwood said in a movie "A mans got to know his limitations"

fastline

I suppose without all the specifics of the machine, this is all a guess but I have to be realistic that in design, that machine should not tip over with it's rated load and should be reasonably safe to drive. That has more to do with the counterweight portion there.

Looking at the moment loads, moving the load center out to 30" might drop rating from 16K to 14.5K. However, I am not sure if the tilt system will sense the extra moment and not allow the lift but technically, 16K is 16K and might just get to a point of floating the rears, which does not bother me to be "light" but in the air will pucker me. I have done lifts like that but try to avoid when possible.

BillG

If it were mine at my location (no ramps and good floor) I wouldn't have a problem doing it with that machine. Just keep it low and no sudden stops, I recently saw a 250,000.00 VMC slide off the forks going down a slight incline when the operator heard someone yell stop. They couldn't go down backwards as they had to load at the bottom of the incline. Bad day all around.

fastline

If it were mine at my location (no ramps and good floor) I wouldn't have a problem doing it with that machine. Just keep it low and no sudden stops, I recently saw a 250,000.00 VMC slide off the forks going down a slight incline when the operator heard someone yell stop. They couldn't go down backwards as they had to load at the bottom of the incline. Bad day all around.

Huh, someone should have planned that job better.....:) I know I have strapped machines to the forklift before and people thought I was nuts. Don't care, you put enough zeros on the line, I get picky. Thus the reason for me estimating this load now and not "when it arrives".

I don't plan to drive at all. Just lift, pull trailer out, lower machine. We can then use skates as aids on the load to get it in place.

BillG

Ok, that makes a whole lot of difference. Make sure when you do the lift, see how tippy (technical term) it is. Make sure if you are right at the lifts capability that when you are lowering it that you don't stop lowering suddenly. I have seen a few machines right at capacity lowering a machine from a trailer and stopping quick and the lift goes on it's nose.

fastline

Thats why I plan to do the operating. Not to say there is that much to it other than BE SMOOTH, and BE SMOOTH. I had a guy come by before to bring his fork over to unload. He started to get lined up but I could tell it would end badly. I told him I WILL take over. Had to find some excuse like "if it falls, I want it to be on me".

If you want pucker, we offloaded a brand new machine about 4 yrs ago with a good friend. We are both engineers and knew better but.... Had a fork on each side of the machine, both forks with tires 6" in the air. One fork had 6k lbs of lead in a barrel mounted to the back of it. I needed a case of beer after that one...

entasis

what is the height (4'?) of the trailer?, flat bed or box?, rough dimensions of machine to be moved? - a good rigger will always find a way, some best unsaid.....chuckle.......but this isn't too hard to do safely with what you have

fastline

Yeah, probably 3-4ft. I want to pick it from the back where I should be able to get closer to a 24" load center. The big question I am trying to ask is what might be the ultimate lift capacity of a fork relative to it "rating"? I would sure think forks would be a bit underrated for liability reasons but does that mean she will growl and say "F U" when I try to lift 100 over the limit? I am used to machines that are rated at 8K but can do 10K. You can't rent them anymore.

Mjrdude1

If you can get another forklift on the other side, it will be a piece of cake. As you said, 24" load center. Thats 24" from the 'face of the forks and 24" from the top of the fork the load will be setting on, and that rating is load and carry safely. Without another lift on the other side your load is going to be way out, and I forget the formula in figuring loss of capacity, but it's goes downhill fast.

We have overloaded our forklifts several times, and it always makes my day when we manage not to get someone hurt or damage the forklift.

Good luck in getting it done safely. :)

entasis

the reason I ask particulars is I've had to rig just about every conceivable awkward load, not so hard at the shop with a 35 ton crane, but out on site with whatever ya got, another story completely - on a low trailer…..step deck or something and I wasn't in the mood to take a chance on tipping the forklift or rig it in an unapproved fashion (if somebody was lookin'), I'd slide it half way off the back, crib that end and go get the other end, let it down end to end - you could do it off a 4' trailer with patience - slings, no slings, cribbing, a little patience will reduce the pucker factor and save on the beer bill………..chuckle

I'd come over and help if I was in the neighborhood , but it looks like you have things well in hand

DaveDowson

In some cases, it is better to rent forklifts in a competent company, like I did from here, if you don't want to look into technical characteristics. You just have to explain the purpose and the tasks to be fulfilled by the forklift. I think that it is better to deal with professionals than just to try to be a professional. It's my point of view, though.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
what I'm finding with the newer machines (and this goes for more than just forklifts) is that the hydraulics are designed/engineered so that they will only lift to capacity and nothing more. The hydraulics stall out and you're unable to lift enough to get yourself into trouble.

On the older equipment the hydraulics never ran out of steam, they just kept pulling.