• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford l8000 trans

Jake Hackenburg

Hi I have a 90 Ford l8000 tandem dump truck. Ford 7.8 hooked to an Allison mt 653 long story short I had to have transmission remanned flex plate is distorted worried about eating another front pump. It's a two piece flex plate with half bolted to flywheel, other half bolted to torque converter. I cannot find any part numbers for these parts. Any help appreciated I know the old big ford trucks are becoming a nightmare for parts sourcing.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I would convert it to manual.

But, if you insist, your local NAPA Traction dealer would have the connections and relationships to locate those parts. Mine does. Oddball Sterling,Ford and GMC/Chevy medium duty. But, your mileage may vary. Maybe, I could share my NAPA dude with you. IDK.

Jake Hackenburg

Ya I wish I had gone that route but it is nice having the auto when we're digging ponds we basically use it like a haul truck. The mt 653 should be a stout reliable unit just have to find
the flex plate

56wrench

How did the flexplate get distorted? If installed correctly they usually don’t give many problems

Jake Hackenburg

How did the flexplate get distorted? If installed correctly they usually don’t give many problems
I bought the truck had drove it for a minute it had recently had trans work apparently wasn't torqued correctly, the whole trans loosened up from engine and was hanging from torque converter and two bolts and the tail housing. It's not distorted horrible part of me would think it would be true once torqued down but don't want to risk having to buy another $1300 pump

Old Doug

Have you tried Midway Ford in KC Mo? I did get alot of stuff from them. It seems like Ford truck had alot of parts that were only used on Fords.

56wrench

You could pull the trans and check everything with a dial indicator which you should anyway whenever there has been a problem or the trans has been changed. Also check for flywheel housing concentricity to make sure it is centred within specs to the engine crankshaft

Jake Hackenburg

You could pull the trans and check everything with a dial indicator which you should anyway whenever there has been a problem or the trans has been changed. Also check for flywheel housing concentricity to make sure it is centred within specs to the engine crankshaft
Yes trans has been pulled fully remanned everything looks to be within spec just trying to find the two piece flex plate. Checked crank end play as well