• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford F-350 Utility fuel transfer tank

barklee

So i just recently bought a 2009 F-350 with a enclosed utility body. I have been driving open bodies for the last ten years and have always had a fuel tank in the back to fill up trucks and equipment. Its been one of those things i have come to not be able to live without! I am going to have to rig up something to do this. Does anyone have experience with this? Here are my requirements: Would prefer not to put in in any of the exterior accessed cabinets, would rather not mount it in the bed right behind the cab like you would in an open utility to save floor space, need at least 50 gallons and an electric pump.

I am thinking that if you did mount it on the floor right behind the cab it would be quite the challenge to get the fuel hose to where you want it and turn the thing off and on, although you could do this through the back of one of the cabinets. That would leave the problem of venting this, is that even a consideration? I think i would like to put it on the shelves on one of the sides but im not sure if they make a tank that would fit that dimension and even if they do there would still be the problems listed above.

Just brain storming at this point and i was hoping someone already did this that i could check it out and see what it looks like. I attached a pic of what the body looks like, this isnt my truck but the exact same body. ford utility.jpg

buckfever

I have seen guys mount a tank behind the cab then put a hose winder right inside the gate. Put a switch to turn the pump on right above the winder and your good to go.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
My buddy had one built to cover the floor of his pickup, it was 6" high and slid in the full length of the bed. He'd always cover it with tools and materials so it wasn't seen, did this to beat the DOT regs regarding fuel transport. You could do something similar and not lose much floor space.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
We have a 4' - 160gal tank mounted to the floor in a 2-ton enclosed service truck like yours, only heavier truck. I wired the switch to the pump in the drivers side rear access door and hard piped (black iron) the fuel nozzle to the back door drivers side wall, the hose and nozzle are coiled up and hang on truck wall- works good and doesn't interfere with anything. The tank has a vented fill cap that vents directly into the enclosed area of the service body, have not had any problems and enough air leaks in to keep fuel vapor at nonexistent levels. 1- drawback is filling it, you have to climb in to do it, so get a big enough one to minimize that as much as you can.

barklee

We have a 4' - 160gal tank mounted to the floor in a 2-ton enclosed service truck like yours, only heavier truck. I wired the switch to the pump in the drivers side rear access door and hard piped (black iron) the fuel nozzle to the back door drivers side wall, the hose and nozzle are coiled up and hang on truck wall- works good and doesn't interfere with anything. The tank has a vented fill cap that vents directly into the enclosed area of the service body, have not had any problems and enough air leaks in to keep fuel vapor at nonexistent levels. 1- drawback is filling it, you have to climb in to do it, so get a big enough one to minimize that as much as you can.

Thanks for the ideas! Any chance you could snap a few pictures of your handy work that i could check out? :D

Dualie

you could do everything JBgash suggested but pipe the filler out the side of the shell, Transfer flow has a kit to extend their filler necks through a camper shell. I couldn't see this being much different than that.

As for mounting the tank up higher i would avoid that. You're going to want to try and keep that sloshing weight down low. Even in a baffled tank your going to want to keep the weight as low as possible