• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford backhoes

volvobl

I'm looking at buying a used machine here in Canada. We used to have a 93 JCB 214 Sitemaster and it was great. I've found a decent deal on a 98 NH 575E with 3500hrs. 4x4 ext/hoe but just a GP bucket up front. I haven't been able to find much info on this machine. What does it weigh? How much HP does it have? I've also found a 97 cat 426IT with close to 8000 hrs for a similar price but I'm leaning towards the NH since it reminds me of our JCB and is MUCH cleaner. Any advice?

the newholland is lighter but jcb is stronger

D5G

I too am very fond of the old Fords, here are a few pics of a 675D. I have more if interested.

Attachments

• P7034294.jpg
    P7034294.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3,657
  • P6274356.jpg
    P6274356.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,534
  • P6204113.jpg
    P6204113.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,545
  • P5233716.jpg
    P5233716.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 3,514
  • P5153514.jpg
    P5153514.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3,563

D5G

heres a few more, just because they are awesome!:drinkup

Attachments

• P5153506.jpg
    P5153506.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,509
  • P5153508.jpg
    P5153508.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,509
  • P5153479.jpg
    P5153479.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,519
  • P5173682.jpg
    P5173682.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,481
  • P5163580.jpg
    P5163580.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 3,520

jughead

Occupation
retired
looks a lot like my 655D. cut my teeth on a 4500 which my neighbor still has. learned more on a 555D. i still feel like a lever puller but i get the stuff done on my 20 acres. a lot of it is on the side of a hill with up to 15 degree slope which this old man does not LIKE at all. needless to say i like the fords.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Ford 655D backhoe engine needed

i actually learnt on a ford 550 backhoe very underated for its day the only downfall is that they were a bit underpowered cause they only had a 3 cylinder engine and small pumps. Respect to leakyboot for picturing the 655d theres nothing wrong with looking after and/or cleaning machines if they are yours or company owned i keep my cab clean evry day and do my best with keeping them clean on the outside pride goes a long way on tidy equipment. my personnal view i preferred 655d compare to the newer NH series

Not sure if this is the right place, but I need a engine, or a good block assembly for a 1997? Ford 655D backhoe. I just bought it and the block is bad
Thanks for any reply

DCH

the newholland is lighter but jcb is stronger

Thanks, I ended up buying the 426C-IT. Turns out I got the best deal but didn't realize it until I got posession. The hoe had barely been used. The machine has been used for clearing snow and moving material with the forks for 7500 hrs.

Fords are the same as New Hollands.

New Holland bought out the line and just changed the name. They left the machines almost unchanged for several years after the aquisition.

mei8555

my dad was in the sewer business for over 30 years. had quite a few 4500s and a couple of 550s. last 550 was sold in early 2000s mid 70s model had been arounds since new. those machines were work horses

volvobl

Thanks, I ended up buying the 426C-IT. Turns out I got the best deal but didn't realize it until I got posession. The hoe had barely been used. The machine has been used for clearing snow and moving material with the forks for 7500 hrs.

any used backhoe is like gold if the back hoe end itself has not been used much well done hope you like it we operators tend to stick with what we are comfortable with ive been the same i was bought up around jcb mf and fords mainly naw i own a volvo bl71 and realy impressed with what it does its a touch slower on the backend than the jcb but its very strong ive got in to it and il stick with it. Hope you get in to the cat the same as me with the volvo good luck and well done on your purchase:notworthy:D

carogator

i have a 6500 that i have spent a lot of time repairing because someone dogged it. a great machine, doesn't seem to know it's limits. 4 cyl diesel with shuttle trans. must move to high idle until you hear it kick in, then works great. i would recommend Ford as the best i have ever used

mattm257

My 95 Cat 426b under side is all stamped FORD (rearend and I think even some of the drivetrain) I wonder if you put up a post - opinions on CAT mechanicals ? if the response would be different just becuase the label on the hood. DO some research not all is what it seems.

William J

I used a 555 while I was in Highschool, and have never used another one before. It depends on what your using it for I guess. If I owned a business I would buy a CAT or a CASE, but if I was using it in the back 40 I would go with a Ford, but it would have to have 4wd.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I'd like to see some run a 4 stick Ford that knows what they are doing. Ive tried a 555 and a 580SL that was mickey moused setup as ford, very strange setup.

jughead

Occupation
retired
i would say the problem with 4 stick would be more of what one cut their teeth on. i have 2 friends that can comb ones hair with a 4 stick. this old man isnt a good lever puller but i can do a lot better with the ford 4. own a for 2 lever for the farm and still have a problem making it mind me.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
I learned on 2 stick, I currently run a 4stick case w/foot swing day in day out. I swear by the 4stick and wouldnt go back to 2.

The ford 4 stick to me just seems strange. .....Maybe just cause its unfamilar to me.

erniemack

ford 4500

I am new at using this web site so please forgive me for stepping on anyone. My friend has a ford 4500 diesel back hoe that has been seting up for some time. The head has been removed and we can see the pistons however we can not get them freed up. We are trying to rebuild this unit and need some help. Can we drop the oil pan and get to the crank shaft and possibably free up the pistons?

what the

Occupation
Diesel/equipment mechanic
Hello erniemack,

I am also new to the forum let me ask you some basic questions and no offense it's the little things that bite you.

Are the cylinders rusted?
Are the cylinders scorn?
Have you removed the fan belt(s)?
Have you disconnected the front PTO pump?
Is the transmission in neutral?

Yes you can remove the pan but you may not be able to get to all of the rod bolts with out turning the engine. If the cylinders are rusted then clean them best you can and blow them out with air and pour about an inch of light oil like 5/20 and let it sit overnight and see if the oil goes down. If so this will help to free the rings I have seen a alt stop a series 60 Detroit engine more than once so remove the fan belt(s). I haven't seen it but a PTO or oil pump could stop the engine from turning.I have seen a trans in gear or locked up cause the engine not to turn.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Welcome Ernie,
What the, has some good points. I bought a VW diesel engine that was stuck, turned out it was just a seized alternator. There are several restoration forums to search, including ACMOC, that have favorite formulas for freeing stuck pistons, I remember Marvel Mystery oil and Coke used but I'm not sure of that.

A 'spun' rod bearing will nicely seize an engine too. It won't hurt to remove the oil pan and check the bearings, as you try to determine why the cylinder head was removed in the first place.

You can't beat the leverage attained by a big long pry bar on the flywheel teeth, after removing the starter. Phil

Last edited:

bill onthehill

Since you have the head off try tapping the top of each piston with a piece of wood. This will help break loose stuck rings. Dump in some kerosene and see if it goes down overnight.